E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB getting power after car is off?

11-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
JayD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

USB getting power after car is off?

I have a 08 335i with the 6FL option from the factory. (USB port in the center console). I have a USB mem stick that has a light on it that blinks when in use. My question is does the factory USB port always have power regardless of ignition position? Reason I'm asking is I have a USB stick plugged in and when I got into the car today and looked in the center console before turning the ignition on, and the light on the USB stick was blinking. I have Comfort Access if that matters. If it does get power all the time, I worry it will drain my battery since my car sits for a week to two between drives

thanks

Jay
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

No, it does not. Only has power for a short time after the car gets locked up, and gets powered up upon unlock.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Dwill335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i White/Beige

After you leave the car, the port stays powered for about 20 minutes before the car goes to sleep. When you unlock it or open the door, the car wakes up and power is restored to the port.

Even if it didn't, think about the size of your battery compared to the USB stick, which isn't actively doing anything. It could probably remain plugged in for a year and not kill the battery.
      12-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
jcee76
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 Blk/Coral Red

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill335i View Post
After you leave the car, the port stays powered for about 20 minutes before the car goes to sleep. When you unlock it or open the door, the car wakes up and power is restored to the port.

Even if it didn't, think about the size of your battery compared to the USB stick, which isn't actively doing anything. It could probably remain plugged in for a year and not kill the battery.
Yup my light on my USB Cruzer stays on also. I'm assuming that the only current that drawing from the battery is used to power that led. But I'll check out the manual but its good to know that the usb shuts off after 20 min.
Appreciate 0