E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > repair costs!?!

08-02-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
Samcar
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Garage List
repair costs!?!

Got rear ended today. Had the car less than a week, 2011 50K miles. Was stationary at a junction and a VW just went straight into me.
Boot won’t shut but can see metal damage round frame. Exhaust seems fine.
Obviously cracked bumper and has popped out slightly on either side. Chances of structural damages?
Can’t see any other damage… really hoping isn’t a write off… rough price to repair?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I had a similar incident, rear ended by a pickup truck, and the damage looked similar. I am not familiar with UK part prices or labor (labour?) rates, but my repair was somewhere around $3500.
Appreciate 3
      08-03-2023, 04:17 AM   #3
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

cosmetically probably easy to fix but the cover needs to come off to check the rails and body metal-probably a write off imo
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

It looks like the frame got bent based on:
- popped trunk sill cover on the inside
- bumpers are pretty flexible, so it was pushed quite far in to crack like that
- trunk not closing suggest the lock/catch has moved and that's on the body frame
- visible frame bend along the top of the bumper

That does look like a write off.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

If your trunk won't close, there's almost certainly some structural damage. While that doesn't look like a hard enough hit that the car is toast, if the unibody where the trunk meets up is damaged, it's likely going to be a write off.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
Samcar
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I had a similar incident, rear ended by a pickup truck, and the damage looked similar. I am not familiar with UK part prices or labor (labour?) rates, but my repair was somewhere around $3500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
It looks like the frame got bent based on:
- popped trunk sill cover on the inside
- bumpers are pretty flexible, so it was pushed quite far in to crack like that
- trunk not closing suggest the lock/catch has moved and that's on the body frame
- visible frame bend along the top of the bumper

That does look like a write off.

Thank you for replies. Managed to get bumper off myself to have a look. All rear sensors still working, fuel cap isn’t out of line and neither is anything else other than rear bumper cover as stated.
Actual bumper behind the cover is slightly bumpy but not crazy, just slightly kinked in 2 places. Is this still classed as structural? I thought it was the metal bar behind that? As the bumper cover and bumper as designed for the damage impact?
As for trunk- lock still lines up.. from what I can see, just doesnt close due to the plastic and as said the metal frame around it being warped, probably the hinges for the boot too. Boot lid also a tiny bit bent. The boot floor isn’t bent or kinked as far as I can see (it is lined so can’t see the metal) when I spoke to insurance they stated that boots not closing is pretty normal for these cars especially if hit with an SUV, so I’m just trying to get more opinions and understanding
Would this still be write off?
Sorry, I’ve never been in an accident so I have no idea what damages is classed as what, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:24 PM   #7
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcar View Post
Thank you for replies. Managed to get bumper off myself to have a look. All rear sensors still working, fuel cap isn’t out of line and neither is anything else other than rear bumper cover as stated.
Actual bumper behind the cover is slightly bumpy but not crazy, just slightly kinked in 2 places. Is this still classed as structural? I thought it was the metal bar behind that? As the bumper cover and bumper as designed for the damage impact?
As for trunk- lock still lines up.. from what I can see, just doesnt close due to the plastic and as said the metal frame around it being warped, probably the hinges for the boot too. Boot lid also a tiny bit bent. The boot floor isn’t bent or kinked as far as I can see (it is lined so can’t see the metal) when I spoke to insurance they stated that boots not closing is pretty normal for these cars especially if hit with an SUV, so I’m just trying to get more opinions and understanding
Sorry, I’ve never been in an accident so I have no idea what damages is classed as what, etc
SOunds like the unibody might be okay then! Replacing the metal crash bar isn't a big deal but a unibody/trunk floor repair is. If it's limited to the crash bar and the trunk lid, you should be just fine.
Appreciate 1
Samcar0.00
      08-03-2023, 11:09 PM   #8
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The plastic trim along the trunk panel doesn’t pop out that far and that easily. The metal where the trunk seal goes is also mangled up.
The trunk panel cover has to be removed and that’s where it needs to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:28 AM   #9
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Everybody saying write off, do you have any experience with body repair?

My car was rear ended and the trunk buckled and the latch was pushed in. The metal bumper reinforcement is designed to collapse and absorb most of the energy. That's what happened in my incident, it was replaced and the unibody near the trunk latch was pulled back out and all is good, no write off, everything aligned perfectly.

Well my trunk lid was initially 1mm too high from not closing all the way, visible only to OCD freaks like me, but a new strike plate fixed that.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 08-04-2023 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
Samcar0.00
Greyfox1207.50
      08-04-2023, 02:50 AM   #10
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

It depends on the shop that does the quote.
Some will pull it out for a lower cost/quite.
Some will not, they will want to remove the entire trunk panel and install a new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcar View Post
If the unibody is good, you may be OK. From the limited pictures, it looked like it wasn't.
Do you have a picture with the bumper off?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we think. It depends on your insurance adjuster and the shop providing the quote.
If the insurance co looks at the car value after paying what the shop says it will take to fix it, and it's not worth it to them, they won't fix it and will write it off.

I had a slight bumper damage from being rear-ended on my other car (not E91). Many people wouldn't even bother fixing that damage it was that light. I wasn't at fault and it went through insurance. It cost $3500 to repair a cosmetic damage to only one section of the multi-piece rear bumper. No hidden damage.

I have no idea how much your estimate will be, but expect $5k-$10k, who knows. (This is a total finger in the air, so please don't attack "my estimate").
If the car is worth only $7k to your insurance, it's a write off.

Again, we can tell stories all day long. It's your adjuster and the estimate that matters and you can negotiate from there. For example, you can accept a used bumper instead of new one and lower the estimate and avoid triggering a write-off. All depends on whether the adjuster is reasonable.
Please let us know when you have that info and I hope it works out for you!
Appreciate 2
Samcar0.00
jsunma652.00
      08-14-2023, 01:14 PM   #12
Samcar
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE:

So car got written off with the attached damage and £6000 estimated in repairs. Now classed as a Cat S. which SUCKS!

However getting a payout which covers almost exactly what I paid for it minus £150. So can live with that considering I had the day less than a week 🤦‍♀️

Now onto the next venture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 02:23 PM   #13
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Sounds about right.
I’m sure you can get the pay out and have someone else straighten the trunk panel and then put a used trunk lid on it.
Appreciate 1
Samcar0.00
      08-15-2023, 09:14 AM   #14
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Take the payout and ask them how much they want for the car, then get another quote as Serf27 suggests above and then you can decide how much you want that car.
Appreciate 1
Samcar0.00
      08-15-2023, 10:58 PM   #15
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
That's a nice color, hope you can find someone to fix it reasonably!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 01:55 AM   #16
fnaf
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza, Toyota RAV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Take the payout and ask them how much they want for the car, then get another quote as Serf27 suggests above and then you can decide how much you want that car.
Great idea!

Appreciate 0