E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Slow Start STILL

09-06-2023, 05:38 PM   #1
jmdew
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive LCI

Slow Start STILL

I have a ‘09 e90 328i xDrive Automatic. Vehicle has a slow start with cold engine and fires up right away with warm engine.

View post on imgur.com

I checked the fuel pressure to start with and with key to on it has 0psi and when started holds 70psi. Once turned off vehicle drops to 0 psi in a matter of 4 minutes or so.

View post on imgur.com

I tried negative jumper cables to create a grounding to check for bad ground strap. Vehicle on cold engine started up pretty quick. So I replaced ground strap (not oem part) and vehicle STILL has a slow start.

Vehicles battery was tested at O’reillys along with starter and alternator. Results appear that none are an issue.

What could the issue be? Could it have something to do with fuel pump or fuel system? Maybe crankshaft relatedor the exhaust system?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Sorry, but your video (?) links aren't appearing.

But, the fact that you're experiencing differences between a cold vs. warm start would tend to argue against your issue being related to the electrical system. That ground strap replacement, btw, looks fine. (the old one was likely doing you no favors, and yet, I've seen worse)

Check for codes and report back what you find?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Sounds like a possible issue with the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) failing and not holding pressure in the line, thus the loss of fuel pressure after key off...it should hold pressure at the rail. Other possible cause is a leaking fuel injector...but there are known issue with the FPR in general. How are you checking the fuel pressure?

Same on not seeing the videos to tell if it's a long crank or actual slow crank.
Appreciate 0