E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive headlight always pointing left

07-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
Aang
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Adaptive headlight always pointing left

Fairly long one coming up, but hoping some of the info may spark an answer.

2008 e91 335d, UK model, right hand drive, factory fitted adaptive Xenon headlights. March 2008 build date.

I had an adaptive headlight error on the dash and closer inspection showed water had got in the left hand SMC unit screwed underneath the headlight through a slight crack in the top of the headlight. Swapping SMC units showed that the error also swapped sides.

Replaced the SMC with a new eBay unit - exact same part number and SW versions (also plastic welded the crack in the headlight). Error on the dash and the laptop has cleared, but the left hand light now only points to the far left and doesn't seem to move. Right hand light is still working as it should with the adaptive lights turning with the steering and moving up and down when switching the car on.

I used NCSExpert SG_Coddieren to reset the NFRM module, which did work as I'd previously recoded it to have angel eye running lights and all four lights as main beam - both of these features are lost (I'll put them back later). I then try and reset the LSMC and the light moves around, up and down fine, moves all the way to the left, but doesn't go much further to the right than the centre position and always ends up pointing all the way to the left and then the computer comes up with an error:

Error in CABD! Look at CABLERR and ERROR.LOG!

COAPI-2020: SG antwortet nicht FRM_87, ID_SMC_LESEN:
ERROR_ ECU BUSY REPEAT REQUEST
COAPI-ZUZU: SG antwortet nicht SG CODIEREN

I try and reset the RSMC and the left light (the new SMC) moved around again, same never going right of centre and then comes up with the same error message.

So then I swap the SMC over left to right, and this is when things get odd! Now the new SMC headlight is on the right and the light is pointing all the way to the right, the old SMC is on the left light, but whenever I turn the steering the left light swivels in the opposite direction to the steering. I try resetting the RSMC and the right light (with new SMC) moves, but ends up pointing right and the same error as above. Try resetting the LSMC, and the right light moves again, and still ends up pointing right with the same error. The left light (with the old SMC is pointing straight ahead).

I've swapped them back so I can drive without dazzling everybody, but stuck with the left light pointing left. I've check old photos and both lights were pointing straight ahead before I started swapping SMCs.

I tried cleaning up the old SMC and putting it back - that came up with the same error.

What could it be?
Could be a faulty SMC?
Could be faulty laptop software? (I think it is this, but running out of ideas what to fix - and don't want to make generally working laptop worse!)
Could be faulty FRM2 module? (I doubt it)
Could be faulty light hardware (again, I doubt it as I do get movement in all 4 directions)
Could be something else I've not thought of.

I've been using the same NCSexpert / inpa install for a while now on an old 2007 Core2duo MacBook Pro with windows 7 and it's always been fine, so the software and hardware are generally OK. I updated the SP-Daten from bimmergeeks, but looking at the folders I don't think that changed anything. I do have a newer i5 MacBook Pro with windows 10 64 bit, but the ISTA doesn't talk to all the modules and the NCSexpert comes up with different errors - I think this needs more setting up (but as I have the old MacBook I haven't persevered with this other than updating the SP-Daten from bimmergeeks). I may try setting up a virtual machine on this laptop when I get time.

One think I noticed was that I thought my FRM version was FRM_70 (it was when I reset the FRM), but the error message when resetting L or RSMC says FRM_87. I did try changing this after given an option to (after clicking execute job I think ), but didn't make any difference.

Also, I can't get to the body>footwell module driver options in INPA because this thinks it is FRM_87 and then when I press go it comes up with an error saying:
FRM_87 not found, Control unit found: 'FRM_70'.

I do not know if the FRM is the original unit or been swapped by previous owner. I am pretty sure the adaptive headlights were from new from looking up the VIN.

I meant to look in CABLERR and ERROR.LOG - I will do and report back

If you've made it this far - thank you! If you can suggest what to look at next, an even bigger thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I’m not sure I can help but some things I learned doing same.
I also had water get into left headlight and left SMC was bad.

I found somewhere in INPA where you could just command a specific headlight to point in a specific direction to test mechanism, module, etc. This worked fine on right headlight and not on left. I switch modules left to right and problem followed the bad module to the right side

Bought same PN from eBay and could not code module to the left side. (Not sure what you mean by “reset” - coding smc to specific side or something else?).
Tried coding known good right to both left and right sides and could not.
Long story short - digging into communication errors I found that the coding program checked communication to both modules prior to coding whatever one was targeted to whatever side. So if you have a bad module the coding of a good module to a specific side will fail. The INPA diag which checks a specific module function only checks/establishes communication with the targeted module so it works if one module bad.

The module I bought on eBay was bad. Looked fine, no corrosion inside, etc. but was bad. Bought a VEMO new on FCP euro and it worked fine, could code it to left side, diag worked. Don’t assume the eBay module is ok - unless you find/run that diag in INPA which checked specific function/direction pointing of a specific module/side
Good luck!
Appreciate 2
Aang4.50
Mike K322.00
      07-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
Aang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino56 View Post
The module I bought on eBay was bad. Looked fine, no corrosion inside, etc. but was bad. Bought a VEMO new on FCP euro and it worked fine, could code it to left side, diag worked. Don’t assume the eBay module is ok - unless you find/run that diag in INPA which checked specific function/direction pointing of a specific module/side
Good luck!

Thanks - this is useful! 1 vote for bad SMC noted.

I'm calling 'reset' the SG_Codeiren coding in NCSExpert (which I believe is coding the module from the VO build order)

I can't get to the footwell module in INPA to control the light - unsure if this is my INPA installation or something to do with my FRM or SMC (seem my original comment about FRM70 or 87). Couldn't find anything similar in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I’d get the ability to test/talk to the good one figured out first. Even if you buy a new smc you’ll need capability to code it to get it to work. Once you can communicate/point the good one where you want you hopefully could also code a new good smc. I spent forever trying to get mine fixed as I’m a hack with INPA and didn’t know what I was doing but eventually got it working.

I’m no expert on INPA, many on here are. If you post a specific problem on INPA you’re trying to figure out in coding section perhaps you’d get some help on that.
There is a high level PF key option which will print out all your modules and the status of the module. Start there. It should list what they are, I think - like FRM70 or whatever. Not sure, going from memory.
Appreciate 1
Aang4.50
      09-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #5
Aang
Rep

Update if anyone reads it in the future thinking it sounds familiar: Turns out it was a faulty eBay SMC module. I bought another ‘genuine Lear’ module (off eBay again!) and fitted it. Had adaptive light error on dash and feared the worst, but SGcodieren coding the lsmc with ncs expert sorted it all and adaptive corning lights are working with no errors! Happy days.
Appreciate 3