E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Do i need the ipod Y cable?

06-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Bowtie_Rider
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Coupe

Do i need the ipod Y cable?

I purchased a 08 328i non i drive CPO a couple of months ago and i been using my 1st gen 30g ipod video that has always been tossed around in consoles of different cars ipod audio integration. I have been using the starndard apple cable that plugs into the console with no issues it charges the ipod displays song names can sort through artist and albums, and track in list and i can change tracks via the steering wheel. Now i tried plugging in a newer ipod nano and my girls iphone 4 they both connect but the stero does not recognize them, do i need to purchase the y-ipod cable that everyone talks about on this forum. I just find it odd that most people purchase the y cable to gain steering wheel controls and track names on the display why is it that i had all those features with a standard ipod cable on my old video ipod?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The Y cable just gives you audio if you don't get it though the USB docking cable. With my 2007, for example, the USB gives me info and control, but I can't get audio unless I use the Y cable.

I can't tell what "recognize it" means. Do you mean you get no control/info, or you get no audio?
Appreciate 0