E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Eonon D5165 - Updated with Pics

08-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #45
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

I would, I am happy with mine.

Last edited by Scottycs; 03-23-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
andrewdenny@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90 320D

Installed EONON D5165 3 month ago

Hi everyone, I not too long ago finished my installation of an Eonon D5165 head unit, 4 x JBL GT428 speakers, 2 x EARTHQUAKE SOUND SWS 8 inch subs (2 ohm version), an MB Quart 1100.5 5-channel amp and i'm waiting on the Zen Enclosures E90 double 12 sub box, which will have in 2 x Infinity 1262 dual vc subs at 8 ohms in parallel for a final load of 4 ohms.

The front and rear JBL's are connected in series left and right respectively and run high passed at about 120 Hz on ch 1 and 2. The 2 SWS are on channel 3 and 4 and high passed at about 100 Hz and low passed about 1 kHz. Everyone wants to know the quality of the Eonon sound? With the built in eq to standard, loudness off, bass to 0 and treble to 1 or 2 and the mbquarts's gains set correctly...this thing is amazing... I'm listening to tracks on SD card fom Spyrogyra - Carnival to Justin Bieber ft Tyga - Wait for a minute ... AWESOME sound. The SWS 8 inch guys under the seat are capable and because they are not handling the very low frequencies below 100 they thump hard. When I get the sub which is the last thing to install this will be fun. Most people will not need more than the jbls and the sws. I will swap the sws 8's for the 4 ohm versions. Buy the earthquake sws adapter rings for the bmw on amazon... no need for getting adapters made and no cutting or modification to the below seat sub box. It plays loud and clean without any hiss or whine. The amp gets very hot and shuts down from time to time. I am working on a fan system for the trunk. Driving and only hearing the music is heaven... no engine noise, road noise or car noises can be heard. So for audio quality there is no issue there, but the Eonon D5165 has a couple of issues. When streaming from bluetooth, both phone audio and music, the sound only comes on the right side. Ok for phone but not for music) CAN SOMEONE HELP. You need to push the reset button sometimes to get it to come on but the good thing is that this does not reset to factory.... This just allows the radio to be turned on. CD player radio, usb, and ipod (old iphone 3g) work fine. Hope this helps

Last edited by andrewdenny@gmail.com; 10-31-2014 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Made some corrections and added some more info
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #47
E92GRL
@E92GRL
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 // E92 // E39-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
EDIT** I purchased the unit and updated with pics.

I ended up buying this from another member for $265. Installed yesterday, it was fairly straight forward, all plug in play. I routed the GPS antenna under the A pillar and it works perfectly. All steering wheel buttons work, the voice command now MUTES the system. Overall, I am very happy for under $300 out of pocket! Interface looks great! Canbus and vehicle related functions like PDC support and display, OBC display, button lighting that dims, selectable automatic screen dimming, car error warning tones work with the included harness. Tones are a generic beep that come from behind the dash in the canbus harness box, but are still very audible.

2 minor issues I've noticed
1) The volume is fairly loud for the lowest setting when in Radio. (fixed by turning off LOUD feature)
2) GPS volume could be a little louder on max volume settings (fixed see below)

GPS Volume fixed by adding this to the sys file in the root folder:

[sound]
os_volume="250"
sound_volume="150"
voice_volume="250"
dynamic_volume_type="1"
dynamic_volume_voicemaxspeed="0"
dynamic_volume_voice_volume_max="63"
dynamic_volume_minspeed="80"
os_muted="0"
Did you have any issues getting the sound to work... For some reason everything works except the sound...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #48
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

no issues with sound on mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #49
r11co
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Here's my experiences with the D5165.

Fist thing to say is that I am on my second unit. The first developed a dead line of pixels within three weeks of installation...

I bought it through one of Eonon's ebay fronts (they have several, but all registered to the company's main address) at a silly discount they were offering one weekend, and it was delivered from Hong Kong (within 5 days). I was billed separately by TNT for import VAT plus their handling fee.

Eonon's front (ukcarhifishp - misleading name) first insisted I send the duff unit back to HK. I refused and said I would send it back to their UK address (which was printed in a leaflet included inside the packaging). They weren't too happy about this until I contacted ebay customer services and got them to intervene.

Then Eonon started doubting the proof of delivery for the return from my courier - stating there should be a signature. Again they backed down when I got in touch with the courier, who informed me my parcel had been delivered as part of a consignment to Eonon's fulfillment partners in Essex and there was a single drop sheet for all the parcels. The courier quoted the number to me and contacted Eonon' agents directly to tell them to get their act in order!

SO, I got a refund for that unit (and I put in for a refund of the import duty as thankfully I'd been supplied with all the necessary paperwork for an application - anyone else in the UK wanting to do this just download form C285(PI) from HMRC) and as a glutton for punishment made a lowball offer for another - this time UK supplied from Eonon's titular ebay shop, and it was accepted.

This one arrived within 2 days and has been in the car for three days so we shall see how it goes.

Why did I get another one? Well, despite Eonon being one slippery bunch of chancers, the product itself is actually not bad and there really is nothing like it on the market at the price, or even double the price (the Dynavin N6 with the now optional-at-extra-cost optical drive comes in at 2.7 times the price I paid for the Eonon).

A few observations about the unit..

Firstly, to address a few concerns people have expressed about this unit in the past, it would seem that continuous product development is going on and the issues have been addressed. I even noticed subtle but important differences between the first and second unit I received (better insulation on temporarily unused connections for example). The wiring is 100% plug-and-play for standard audio upgrade (ie. no additional analogue or digital amps) with no extra connection to a permanent 12v being required for memory retention.

The radio reception (which some people have criticised) is no worse than the standard HU in terms of range - it is however a bit 'spitty' and suffers occasionally from multipathing as the 5165 cannot supply the car's diversity unit with the reference signal needed to switch between antenna elements (this is no different from fitting any other aftermarket HU) The Eonon supplied antenna adapter is no help and is totally unsuitable for use with the E9x and should be left in the box. I got one of these instead...

CT27AA44

The Eonon adapter pumps 12v up the coax supply, which is not how the E9x antenna amplifier/diversity box gets its power. The amp is powered from pin 13 of the quadlock HU connector. The 5165 is correctly wired to supply the antenna amp with power so the adapter is redundant - in fact it is counterproductive as any voltage above 3v on the co-ax puts the amp into diagnostic mode and disconnects the antenna elements from the amp, so reception suffers.

The GPS software provided by Eonon is a waste of time - don't bother with it. I obtained a copy of iGO Primo 2.4 instead and it works a treat.

I also got hold of a (LCI) climate control panel with heated seat buttons (my car is pre-LCI with heated seats and the separate button panel) to avoid the faff of going through the 5165's menus to find the seat controls. Two spin off benefit from this - the first is that I also now have the 'ALL' button for linking the left and right temp controls rather than the bizarre 'REST' function which I never ever figured out the purpose of. The second is that the control panel needs to have the lugs on the side that attach it to the original fascia plate trimmed off completely (the installation video from Eonon on Youtube only shows the lugs being trimmed slightly - that is fine if you want the cut bits visible from the side and the panel to stick out even more than is necessary from the dashboard) - I still have my original un-modified panel to re-fit if necessary. My advice is do a neat job of removing them as the side parts will sit better in the dashboard and although they will be slightly visible due to the design of the Eonon fascia, if they are smooth (I used very fine sandpaper to clean up the trimming) they will look much better integrated with the rest of the install.

Two annoyances when fitting the climate controls to the Eonon fascia. The first is two little plastic lugs below the touchscreen have to be cut back or the panel will not fit - at all. Really don't know what they were thinking about with that one. The second is that the bottom of the control panel flaps about a bit - I fixed than by running a small self-tapping screw through one of the holes under the bottom edge of the fascia (which cannot be seen from the front) into the control unit to clamp it in place.

The button mapping for the steering wheel controls when cycling through radio station pre-sets is the opposite from the standard HU, but someone at Eonon put some thought into the decision to do that as it is more intuitive with the 'up-and-down' layout of the presets on the 5165's screen. The volume control buttons do not respond as quickly to press-and-hold as they did with the standard HU, but you quickly get used to the slightly longer delay.

Hands free/bluetooth phone linking is impressive - no echo or feedback reported by people I have called, but I did use the supplied external microphone.

The jury is still out on the long term reliability of the unit (watch this *******, but my intention is to upgrade the system overall using some Alpine amps I have in a cupboard somewhere - I started with the 'no tweeters' set-up but have since upgraded to component speakers with crossovers in the front doors and co-axials on the rear deck - the Eonon works well with them using standard amplification at the moment.

Only other thing I would say is it is a shame they didn't include a DAB/+ tuner, but I'm also thinking of upgrading using a CKO DAB adapter.

Last edited by r11co; 11-13-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #50
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Hows it holding up mate, I'm toying with the decision to go all in for a Dynavin or take a punt on the cheaper alternative.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #51
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Mine is still going strong and works great.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #52
borinous
Captain
Rep

Nice one thanks, do you use the GPS that came with it or did you change it like the post above? is it an easy thing to reinstall the software?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #53
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

I am using igo Primo 2.4
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #54
borinous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am using igo Primo 2.4
Ok thanks and that runs off the SD card you insert?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #55
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

yes
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #56
borinous
Captain
Rep

thanks mate one other thing i just thought of, does it turn on automatically when you swtich on the car? for some reason there were a few posts i read that suggested it didnt and you had to turn it on yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #57
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

turns on automatically. there is about a 5 second boot time.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #58
borinous
Captain
Rep

last question for now does the bluetooth streaming of music work well? do you have to pair the device everytime or does it remember
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #59
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

yes, remember your device and auto connects.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2014, 03:26 AM   #60
borinous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yes, remember your device and auto connects.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #61
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Well it should pair automaticly

Well it should pair automatically once its been set up.
But not all bands or receivers do .
If your having trouble with consistency for android
there is and android app called bluetooth connect that works pretty good.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #62
borinous
Captain
Rep

thanks all think im going go for one when i get some funds together :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #63
uyedfg6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

IIRC this eonon unit is customizable, there are custom OS skins out there. Looked pretty neat actually. Not sure if also improves other things.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #64
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Anyone have any feedback on the dvd's playback quality..?? Also, does it allow DVD in motion, or can movies be watched from SD card..??

Thanks!

Last edited by BeastMode335i; 12-02-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #65
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

You can play DVDs in motion, or watch videos from SD card in motion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #66
instigat0r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

Andrewdenny: I bought the D5165 about 3 months ago and so far its holding up fine. I did have an issue at first with just the right side speakers working but figured out that I did not have the main wiring harness completely plugged in. Once I unplugged it and re-plugged it in correctly, my sound worked fine on both sides of the car.

R11co: The ‘rest’ button that you replaced is one of my favorite features of our cars. When running errands in the winter, after you turn the car off, hit the ‘rest’ button and the car will use the residual heat from the engine to keep the cabin warm for like 15 min. I bought an aftermarket tray with the seat heater buttons that work great.

Thanks for the tip on the antenna adapter CT27aa44 and on using a self tapping screw to tighten up the bottom of the fascia.

That stupid tab that needs cut off took me about an hr to figure out why the HVAC unit would not clip into the fascia!!! Very important for anyone else who gets this unit.

I also replaced the stock GPS maps with iGo Primo. Works much better.

Mirroring my phone to the D5165 does not work though. Seems like according to the reviews on the eonon app that I downloaded for my phone, it doesn’t work for anyone else either. Also I cannot get the unit to change my steering wheel button to do different commands. But for the money, I’m definitely happy with this unit.
Appreciate 0