E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Octopus Energy

02-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Octopus Energy

My fixed energy tariff with EON is coming to an end soon so I've been doing comparisons online to see if I can get a cheaper deal. I did a search via Uswitch and a company called Octopus Energy came in top and would cut my bills by around £10/month. However I have never heard of this company. They seem to have good reviews but was just wondering if any of you guys have experience with them?
We'v been with EON now for a number of years as they have always come in as the cheapest for us. They are still the cheapest out of the big six for us but this other company Octopus Energy are considerably cheaper. Not sure what to do now.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I did another comparison today and have ended up switching to Green Network Energy as they were coming in the cheapest and also able to fix for 18 months. Should also get £21 Cash back as I did the switch via Uswitch but going through 'Top cashback'. Hopefully it'll all go smoothly and I'll save on my energy bills.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So much for switching energy companies being easy! As I feared this is turning out to be a bit of a ball ache.*
Got an email from Uswitch the other day saying there was something wrong with my application and that the switch couldn't be completed. So I phoned them up to see what the problem was. They weren't too sure but thought it might be to do with my gas and / or electric meters not matching what's on the national database or something, and that I was to contact my current supplier EON to check that everything was ok. So I did this and guess what - everything checks out as it should! Another call back to Uswitch to tell them everything's ok. They say "that's a bit odd, we'll have to get hold of the new supplier to see exactly what the problem is." To which I reply "don't they say what the problem is?" To which they reply "no". What' the fucking point of saying there's a problem if you're not going to say what it is?
So now I have to wait for Uswitch to contact the new supplier to find out what the problem is! And then wait to hear from them to see what needs to be done.
Oh yeah switching is easy and everyone should do it, I highly recommend it!*
And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't one of the main selling points of these switching companies is that you do the comparison, pick who you want to go with and then they do the rest - ie sort it all out with your current supplier so the switch goes smoothly? So why is it that I am having to do some of the donkey work and contact my energy supplier to find out what's wrong?
I have a funny feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better!
Rant over!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Ball ache
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

As expected it's got worse!
Had an email from Uswitch today saying that the problem was to do with the national database of gas meters and that my postode didn't match the database (one of the numbers was wrong). Was told to contact my current supplier (EON) and get them to update the database. So this is what I did and indeed it turned out my postcode didn't match. EON then started the process of updating the national database - should take 10 days! Happy days I thought, so I called Uswitch to let them know. Now after being on hold for nearly half an hour, when I finally managed to speak to a human being I was told that as there was a discrepancy with the postcodes my application had been rejected and I'd have to go through the whole process again! Now why the fuck didn't they just tell me that in the first place instead of getting me to waste half my life on the phone to them for no reason?
So now in 10 days I'm going to have to contact EON again to confirm the database has been updated and then go through the whole fucking process of trying to switch again.
I can see why people just don't bother.
What's the bets when I try going through it again there will be another issue like my first application not being cancelled properly which will fuck it all up again. Probably end up with letters from half a dozen energy suppliers all saying they're supplying my energy!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Tweet them about your experience. I'm sure their marketing team will be running around trying to sort it for you with a little good will included!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I've emailed them but no response yet!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well my energy switch has finally all been sorted and I haven't had letters from loads of suppliers saying they all supply my energy!
When I went through the process again, it was all very straight forward. In the end I went with Octopus Energy and switched directly with them instead of using a third party. I went on their website and this time they were cheaper than on the comparison sites. They sorted everything out, I didn't have to do anything apart from supply meter readings. The supply switched on the date they said it would and soon after I recieved my final bill from my old supplier. Been with them just over a month now and so far no complaints. Guess I must just have been unlucky the first time round.
Appreciate 0