E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone Get Their Airbag Recall Done Yet?

07-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #45
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I know there was something about 8/31/16 for priority 1--has that been pushed out to November? And if we stick with BMW being 2 mil. cars (I remember an official number of 1.9 mil. at one point), is high risk only 300k, and within high risk, how is it determined if there's a 2008 in NYC, and a 2008 in Miami, or more realistically, there are 60k in NYC, and 22k in Miami, where are parts going and who's getting fixed when?
My memory was flawed on both quantity and date:
March 31 deadline aimed at providing parts to about 100,000 of the vehicles, deadline is now Aug. 31.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #46
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

How does it work if my car is a FL car it's entire life (01/07 build) but I have recently relocated to Kansas City a few months ago? Would it still be a high priority? And would they deliver the part to the BMW in KC for repair?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #47
Wilt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
How does it work if my car is a FL car it's entire life (01/07 build) but I have recently relocated to Kansas City a few months ago? Would it still be a high priority? And would they deliver the part to the BMW in KC for repair?
Just as Clairol knows for sure about the 'real' blonde, only BMW NA knows for sure about what you asked.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #48
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt
Quote:
Just as Clairol knows for sure about the 'real' blonde, only BMW NA knows for sure about what you asked.
LOL figured
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #49
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

the airbags we have seen coming in are for x5's and x1's. just had two m3 airbags come in last week. our bmw regional rep told us that they SHOULD be here by the end of the month. I'd say most of them will be in by September.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
It's pretty safe to assume that almost any blonde is not real, unless you're in Stockholm. Using this logic, it's safe to assume BMWNA doesn't really know?

This is a mess, one would almost not want to be the first because it seems like the product would get better by batch...I mean if someone messes up this time, it's not like they would want to say anything, they might just fix it on the fly. I'm just guessing of course, no basis to what I say, here or otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #51
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You know how stupid it may be? It may go by where BMWNA mailed the postcard to, or where the dealership is located, who initiated the repair?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #52
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
You know how stupid it may be? It may go by where BMWNA mailed the postcard to, or where the dealership is located, who initiated the repair?
Well the letter was mailed to my address in FL, but since then I have updated my information with BMW to KC... Who knows how they would handle it... I'll give them a call and find out
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #53
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well the letter was mailed to my address in FL, but since then I have updated my information with BMW to KC... Who knows how they would handle it... I'll give them a call and find out
Yeah let us know...one would think the NHTSA would care more than BMWNA....so how did the priority 1 cars get grouped, and like you've asked, what if a priority 1 car moved to a priority 4? In reality, it's just as "dangerous" as it always was, if it spent its life in FL. Or likewise, what if a car from KS moved to FLA, it should not really be priority 1....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #54
Wilt
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's pretty safe to assume that almost any blonde is not real, unless you're in Stockholm. Using this logic, it's safe to assume BMWNA doesn't really know?
Having been to Stockholm a number of times on business, the 'blonde Swede' is a stereotype which is not necessarily true. You see far more blondes on the streets of the USA.
So BMW NA knowing what is going to happen is optimistic at best...as if they 'know' with any certainty (rather than 'hope for') a supply quantity per some schedule, vs. all the other millions of air bag supply issues from demand by the other car manufacturers and ever changing quanitities of need by the industry.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #55
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
How long ago did you move to Kansas City? Does your car still have a FL license plate? If it still does, then that would probably be the reason why the letter was sent to FL because the NHSTA still has your old Florida address in their database. Or, if you did change your license plate to Missouri a while ago, the NHSTA’s database may not yet be updated due, of course, to the slowness of the gov’t network.

I am guessing that once the NHSTA's network is updated with your new address, BMWNA will resend a new letter to your KS address, but it may still assign priority 1 your car because it had been in FL since 2007.
However, like you said, the only way to find is to call.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #56
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i
Quote:
How long ago did you move to Kansas City? Does your car still have a FL license plate? If it still does, then that would probably be the reason why the letter was sent to FL because the NHSTA still has your old Florida address in their database. Or, if you did change your license plate to Missouri a while ago, the NHSTA’s database may not yet be updated due, of course, to the slowness of the gov’t network.

I am guessing that once the NHSTA's network is updated with your new address, BMWNA will resend a new letter to your KS address, but it may still assign priority 1 your car because it had been in FL since 2007.
However, like you said, the only way to find is to call.
I moved to KC in Sept 2015, but it's a temporary relocation so I haven't switched my FL plates over as I still have my home in FL. I imagine that they may want me to bring the car all the way back to FL to have the recall done as a priority 1 unless I change plates. But I'll keep you guys updated once I get word from BMWNA
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #57
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
Having been to Stockholm a number of times on business, the 'blonde Swede' is a stereotype which is not necessarily true. You see far more blondes on the streets of the USA.
So BMW NA knowing what is going to happen is optimistic at best...as if they 'know' with any certainty (rather than 'hope for') a supply quantity per some schedule, vs. all the other millions of air bag supply issues from demand by the other car manufacturers and ever changing quanitities of need by the industry.
That wasn't the case whenever I've been there...over there, nobody would dye their hair blonde. As a matter of fact, I saw some blonde women dye their hair black, which shows that everyone wants to be different, not the same. In Norway, I found people were more reddish-brown, although this girl I liked Stine was a real blonde.

The ones you see in the USA are 90% colored. You can tell because a true blonde does not have hair that is uniform--can you imagine how difficult it would be to dye one's hair such that it was like the real thing? It'd be more cost/time effective to be reborn, or wear a wig.

As far as the airbags are going, it seems like there is no definitive info even this late in the year...only what has been observed... (some parts coming in, some rentals returned)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #58
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
I moved to KC in Sept 2015, but it's a temporary relocation so I haven't switched my FL plates over as I still have my home in FL. I imagine that they may want me to bring the car all the way back to FL to have the recall done as a priority 1 unless I change plates. But I'll keep you guys updated once I get word from BMWNA
Gotcha bro! Good luck.

I'm in Tampa just a stone's throw from Orlando and still waiting on mine.
Had the airbag replaced on my 2005 Stang GT last month. Hmm.
Wonder if I can swap the replacement between my Stang and my 335i whenever I take them out for ride. Ha ha!
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #59
Wilt
Major
Rep

Quote:
The ones you see in the USA are 90% colored. You can tell because a true blonde does not have hair that is uniform--can you imagine how difficult it would be to dye one's hair such that it was like the real thing? It'd be more cost/time effective to be reborn, or wear a wig.

A 'blonde' in the US with black eyebrows or DARK brown eyebrows, and roots showing...laughable what these gals think about fooling others!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #60
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Nothing yet for my car, and I have a wonderful outstanding recall on Carfax but I would love to get rid of...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #61
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

My buddy who has been following this convinced the Audi dealer to provide them alternate transportation--they did! They are giving him a zero mile A3, belonging to the dealer, not Audi. Proof that sometimes you just have to ask, because VW/Audi has a no loaner policy re: Takata.

I had heard early on, BMW dealers were pulling brand new cars and putting them in service due to Takata. I have never heard anyone on this forum mentioning they got one. Could be that was for 5 and 7 owners, who knows....(when you drive a 3, a Chrysler 200 is ok lol)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #62
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Quote:
My buddy who has been following this convinced the Audi dealer to provide them alternate transportation--they did! They are giving him a zero mile A3, belonging to the dealer, not Audi. Proof that sometimes you just have to ask, because VW/Audi has a no loaner policy re: Takata.

I had heard early on, BMW dealers were pulling brand new cars and putting them in service due to Takata. I have never heard anyone on this forum mentioning they got one. Could be that was for 5 and 7 owners, who knows....(when you drive a 3, a Chrysler 200 is ok lol)
There seem to be a lot of people on this forum that got loaners.

BMW was giving dealer loaners to 2011+ cars I believe and rental cars for older than that.

I called my dealer about it. He said they would need to keep my car and the rental would be something like a Nissan versa. I said no mostly because I don't trust someone else storing my car.
      07-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #63
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
There seem to be a lot of people on this forum that got loaners.

BMW was giving dealer loaners to 2011+ cars I believe and rental cars for older than that.

I called my dealer about it. He said they would need to keep my car and the rental would be something like a Nissan versa. I said no mostly because I don't trust someone else storing my car.
That is so strange....the BMW paperwork clearly states that the owner must store the vehicle at their expense (this probably is put in for those who say live in Manhattan, how are you going to now take care of two vehicles and have one sit at $430/mo. for a parking space. The dealer I went to told me not to bring my car, which another dealer said that's not how it's supposed to be done. So I guess the dealers are doing whatever they want...

again this is hearsay, someone said there are 82k 550i's with 5k miles going for 20k+ off, and they were loaner cars due to airbags? I still would not want one, ugly and just nothing special....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #64
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Quote:
That is so strange....the BMW paperwork clearly states that the owner must store the vehicle at their expense (this probably is put in for those who say live in Manhattan, how are you going to now take care of two vehicles and have one sit at $430/mo. for a parking space. The dealer I went to told me not to bring my car, which another dealer said that's not how it's supposed to be done. So I guess the dealers are doing whatever they want...

again this is hearsay, someone said there are 82k 550i's with 5k miles going for 20k+ off, and they were loaner cars due to airbags? I still would not want one, ugly and just nothing special....
I got the feeling my dealer was really trying to put me off from getting a loaner.

I'm not really that worried about the danger from the airbag, but my car did spend most of its life in GA, so it is probably higher risk than some.
      07-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #65
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

No parts for my e90 either.
On a positive note, I just picked up a 2013 X5 that had the airbag recall.
BMW is fixing their lease returns first. They were sitting on lots of X5s waiting for airbags.
The parts started coming in a few weeks ago, so there are lots of X5s on the market.
Got mine CPO X5 for $6K below retail.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #66
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

No word yet on the airbag replacement for my '06 330i either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
No parts for my e90 either.
On a positive note, I just picked up a 2013 X5 that had the airbag recall.
BMW is fixing their lease returns first. They were sitting on lots of X5s waiting for airbags.
The parts started coming in a few weeks ago, so there are lots of X5s on the market.
Got mine CPO X5 for $6K below retail.
I imagine there will be an amazing number of deals nationwide on CPOs in the next year or so...as a result, BMW will surely see a higher volume of traffic in the showrooms.

Their policy of rentals/loaners will have them come out ahead - both in overall popular opinion and (ultimately) number of vehicles sold.

BMW knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0