E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help with 335i bad misfire, rough running, no power, limp mode :(

01-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim303 View Post
My phrasing was a bit poor, my theory was the other way round, that the fouling caused by breather issues not only reached the valves, but the injectors too.

I did look into an oil catch breather but didn't do it in the end. I did tripartite the breather valve in the rocker cover with a (hopefully) better engineered metal model I bought from the states.

However now that I realise the potential remedy is not just walnutting but possibly injectors too, I might be more inclined to look at the oil catch can too!

sim
Re misfiring and injectors Sim previous post showing an internal leaking injector have a read

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070128

Posts of mine show a video(top small picture)of a leaking injector which was a cronic misfire on this particular car
      01-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #24
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi there, sorry I didn't get a notification so only just saw this.

Yeah I agree the rocker cover thing does seem to be a design weakness as mine went in exactly the same place.

Anyway I have news on my misfire....!

I took the car to the dealer for diagnostics and they have confirmed, apparently quite positively, that the injectors are toast. This does stack up as a) it would account for why the problem didn't clear after replacing the coil on the identified cylinder, b) my car had serious coke build up, (for which I had it walnut blasted), the implication being that there could well have been build-up or fouling on the injectors.

Anyway... the bad news: Injectors are not covered under the Named Component insured warranty! Cost - just over £1500. Independent garage was actually more! (each injector is £180 alone).

The better news: I told my dealer I'd have to put it on hold as I'm not using the car and most of the time it seems OK. Unprompted, they came back a day later and said they'd taken it up with BMW UK who approved a goodwill offer of £750 all in. Given that the parts alone are over £1k that I'm jumping at that chance!

The even better news: I asked them to investigate what I described as "symptoms of N54 wastegate rattle". I expected, at best, to have to argue the toss and get into a debate about "normal noises" etc., but to their credit they came back and said, "yeah, wastegate actuators are knackered, we'll book them in under your warranty". That is a massive win for me because that off-throttle rattling noise was really starting to grate and generally sounded sh!t, and the work required is BIG. (est. 12+ hrs).

So all in all I'm pretty happy, both with the situation and my dealer

sim
What dealer was this? I am desperate to get mine fixed under warranty. I'm sick of arguing about it now :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #25
laurentProd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Don't waste your time and money.
Got the same prob and decided to change all injectors.
Prob is gone for over a year now.

Early injectors were leaking. Just buy a new set and 1 hour labour.
Easy to do !
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #26
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
What dealer was this? I am desperate to get mine fixed under warranty. I'm sick of arguing about it now :-(
Barons BMW Hindhead. Are you talking about the injectors or the rattle?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #27
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentProd View Post
Don't waste your time and money.
Got the same prob and decided to change all injectors.
Prob is gone for over a year now.

Early injectors were leaking. Just buy a new set and 1 hour labour.
Easy to do !
Injectors are £178 each (+VAT I think), so you want to be confident that is the problem before throwing nearly £1300 in parts alone at it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 03:51 AM   #28
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Barons BMW Hindhead. Are you talking about the injectors or the rattle?
The rattle, I assumed they fixed that too? What was the resolution?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #29
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The rattle, I assumed they fixed that too? What was the resolution?
Yeah the rattle was covered under the driveline warranty, no debate. It was the turbo wastegate actuators - worn bushes I think. Cheap items to replaces I think but a LOT of labour to get to them (about 12 hours I think she said!)

sim
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #30
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah the rattle was covered under the driveline warranty, no debate. It was the turbo wastegate actuators - worn bushes I think. Cheap items to replaces I think but a LOT of labour to get to them (about 12 hours I think she said!)

sim

Yeah, I was quoted 1600, but that was for an "adjustment" which means I pay the labour whereas yours seems to be a replacement which means warranty pays as a part has failed.

I'll give Barons a phone, perhaps they could do with the business more than other garages.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #31
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I was quoted 1600, but that was for an "adjustment" which means I pay the labour whereas yours seems to be a replacement which means warranty pays as a part has failed.

I'll give Barons a phone, perhaps they could do with the business more than other garages.
It sounds to me like a known "weakness" (if not necessarily regarded officially as a design flaw). Google "N54 wastegate rattle". Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #32
Scooba_Steeve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancanadiano View Post
Replace all your coils. I had a similar incident. Now problem free
Did you have to code or reset when installing before turning the car back on
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #33
Jamesc183
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooba_Steeve View Post
Did you have to code or reset when installing before turning the car back on
I believe you can turn the car back on but it wont run right and you may get an error code, INPA is free to download if you have a laptop and pretty easy to use.
Appreciate 0