E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Is it wise to track my car right now?

01-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Is it wise to track my car right now?

So I just recently purchased a new 135i. I currently have 800 miles on it. I have not floored or raced the car yet. There is a track event coming up next Sunday and I was hoping to participate. My questions to you guys would be, would it be ok for my to race my car on the track at such an early stage? Should I expect any harm from the track day? Any thing that I should do before racing?
      01-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Did you buy or lease?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
RX7guy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7

Do it, you'll have an amazing time.

Free brake jobs and pads for 4yr/50k amirite?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

I think you're reffering to BMW's 1200 mile break in policy. I can tell you as someone who's built engines for road cars and been involved with the building, break in and tuning of Indycars and stock cars and many more professional level race cars that the break in policy is only for liability reasons, and there is no way BMW's motorsports teams would even consider doing anything remotely like it or for as long as 1200 miles for the best piston sealing and longest life.

Anyone who knows anything about engines know they are 98% broken in after 20 miles and ready to race, as long as you change the oil to get gunk out that resulted from the break in. The contaminants in the oil that a car has after it's first few miles make it a very poor lubricant for high performance and could lead to engine damage if you push it.

So feel free to push the car to it's breaking point, just make sure to change the oil first.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I think you're reffering to BMW's 1200 mile break in policy. I can tell you as someone who's built engines for road cars and been involved with the building, break in and tuning of Indycars and stock cars and many more professional level race cars that the break in policy is only for liability reasons, and there is no way BMW's motorsports teams would even consider doing anything remotely like it or for as long as 1200 miles for the best piston sealing and longest life.

Anyone who knows anything about engines know they are 98% broken in after 20 miles and ready to race, as long as you change the oil to get gunk out that resulted from the break in. The contaminants in the oil that a car has after it's first few miles make it a very poor lubricant for high performance and could lead to engine damage if you push it.

So feel free to push the car to it's breaking point, just make sure to change the oil first.
Thanks for the advise! I will be changing the this coming week.

Anything else I need to know?
      01-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
Did you buy or lease?
I'm leasing it for now but do have plans of purchasing it later after the lease.
      01-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

i'd change the oil after the track. generally what most track day guys do. break in oil in new cars is meant to be run longer than normal oil. it has a bunch of zinc added. the car will be fine either way though.

btw which track day are you going to? cali speedway with speed ventures? or the auto-x at streets of willow? i might be at willow next weekend.
      01-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMaroZ View Post
i'd change the oil after the track. generally what most track day guys do. break in oil in new cars is meant to be run longer than normal oil. it has a bunch of zinc added. the car will be fine either way though.

btw which track day are you going to? cali speedway with speed ventures? or the auto-x at streets of willow? i might be at willow next weekend.
Im doing streets of willow on Sunday
      01-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
Im doing streets of willow on Sunday
with bmwcca? i thought it was saturday?
      01-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMaroZ View Post
with bmwcca? i thought it was saturday?
no not bmwcca. Its by Max Grip
      01-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep

ahh, big event or small event?
      01-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Were I leasing a car, I would not race it on a track. The risk of an unfortunate event happening it too high for my taste.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
So I just recently purchased a new 135i. I currently have 800 miles on it. I have not floored or raced the car yet. There is a track event coming up next Sunday and I was hoping to participate. My questions to you guys would be, would it be ok for my to race my car on the track at such an early stage? Should I expect any harm from the track day? Any thing that I should do before racing?

Forget oil!
Can I ask where you got the 135 sedan?
That must be pretty rare, cause I've never seen or even heard of one.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboboost91 View Post
Forget oil!
Can I ask where you got the 135 sedan?
That must be pretty rare, cause I've never seen or even heard of one.
Yeah - it says "135i Sedan" under his avatar and he says in his post that he just got a 135 but in his sig pic it look a lot more like an E90. Multiple typos maybe?

Anyhow - I'd say the engine has enough miles on it now but I'd change the oil before and after. The oil in there now probably has a lot of crap in it since it's the first oil the engine has seen - I'd want that out before racing. All that said, I wouldn't recommend racing the car before the 1200 mile break in period is over. If you do have a problem with the car and BMW finds out you were running it close to red line for extended periods of time (which you will be doing when you race and which they certainly can see in the data) before the break in period is over that would give them a pretty bullet-proof excuse to void your warranty right there.

On a personal note, I'm just amazed with how many guys race their new, expensive BMWs in the first place. Why don't you guys get a much less expensive older BMW to race to reduce the risk of complete wallet drain? Years ago my friends and I used to go to Star Speedway in NH all the time to watch the grudge matches. Without exception all the guys would have older, cheap dedicated track cars - except for this one night when someone brought his brand new Trans Am (I think it was 1979) to race. Everyone thought this guys lost his marbles risking a new car like that in this kind of racing and sure enough, not even 5 minutes into the race the guy hit the wall and completely demolished the entire passenger side of his brand new car and as he came off the wall he also hit a couple of other cars denting and scratching up the driver's side of the car as well. I don't think there was a body panel or bumper that didn't get damaged and he didn't even hit that hard - not even bad enough to stop the race. Talk about embarrassing - all I could hear in the crowd were things like "what an idiot" and a lot of laughing. Sure, the kid may have been rich (who knows?) and perhaps he didn't care about the money or the car, but he had to sneak out the back gate to avoid all the ridicule. I understand folks being curious about how well they can drive and how well their new car can perform on a track, but is it really worth that kind of a risk?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
On a personal note, I'm just amazed with how many guys race their new, expensive BMWs in the first place. Why don't you guys get a much less expensive older BMW to race to reduce the risk of complete wallet drain? Years ago my friends and I used to go to Star Speedway in NH all the time to watch the grudge matches.
It's calculated risk... with instructors I would hope... in a controlled environment. It's also not racing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
On a personal note, I'm just amazed with how many guys race their new, expensive BMWs in the first place. Why don't you guys get a much less expensive older BMW to race to reduce the risk of complete wallet drain?
Gotta start somewhere... and a few runs on a track isn't a sure-fire way to damage your car. It's a great test zone to see if it's something you're into. I'm personally taking a weekend class to see if it sparks my interest
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
SeanCarter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Go for it, you'll have fun...I did, just made sure to change my oil the day after.
Appreciate 0