E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > 2006 E91 325xi - **6mt** - $11k obo

08-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

2006 E91 325xi - **6mt** - $11k obo

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 11,000.00

Item Interest
For sale is our 2006 325xi (vin: WBAVT135X6AV98480) - we bought this car specifically because it was a manual transmission (my wife hates automatics as much as I do). Unfortunately, we had to compromise with a bigger vehicle for our family, which only comes with a slushbox (E70 X5 4.8i), and the E91 has to go.

** Apologies for the bad pictures - I'm still detailing the car and working on addressing a few cosmetic flaws - I'll update the pictures as that work progresses **

We bought it in 2014 from a dealer in Vancouver, BC - it was purchased by the first owner from Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver (we're the second owners). Of course, the car is legally imported (it meets all federal regulations), and the cluster has been converted to Imperial (I still have the KM face plates if you want them) - paperwork will be provided upon sale.

It is fairly basic as far as options but we were mainly looking for the 6MT. It does have heated comfort seats as well as Bi-Xenons. The panoramic roof is fantastic and has always worked perfectly for us. The stock stereo has worked just fine for our family (I do wish it had bluetooth). It doesn't have comfort access, but it comes with two keys plus the plastic "emergency" spare. My wife got really used to the rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights.

The vinyl interior is in excellent shape, and the brushed aluminum trim still looks fantastic (no ugly wood here - unlike our X5, ugh!). There is some trim peeling in typical E90 spots but I intend to fix that up before the sale of the car. The carpets and headliner are clean and stain free.

I am sad to see it go, but we really ended up needing something bigger for our family. We are the 2nd owners and have had it for the last 3 years. We purchased it with 89,000 miles, it currently has 117,000 miles.

This car has been very reliable, only needing basic E90 maintenance for the most part:
  • Waterpump and thermostat were replaced at 95,000 miles
  • Serpentine Belt and Tensioner replaced at the same time
  • The OFHG and Valve cover don't leak - I bought the parts but never needed it.
  • Cabin Microfilter replaced at 89k
  • Spark Plugs replaced at 89k
  • Oil & Filter changes once a year - we drive less than the average amount of 12-15k miles, so this ended up being done at under 10k miles on average.
  • Transfercase Fluid replaced at about 105k
  • HID lamps replaced late last year (I used high quality Osram bulbs)
  • Critically, the oil pan gasket was done last fall - this is like a $2000 job, mostly labor. All xi's will leak from the oil pan eventually; now you won't have to worry about it.

Other parts that have been replaced (not necessarily maintenance items):
  • Steering Rack, Tie rods and Control Arms are all brand new as of late last year due to an unfortunate impact with a curb (no body damage - rashed the wheel and damaged the steering rack - this is where I had the oil pan gasket replaced, because they had the subframe off anyway). Naturally, it was aligned at the same time. The bumper cover was replaced, but the original was pretty beat up at this point anyway.
  • The steering column lock failed at the Vancouver Airport this spring on our way home from vacation. This is like a $3000 repair, which is due to a defect in the original column lock design - luckily the dealer I got towed to was sympathetic and also happened to have the updated part on the shelf collecting dust. The car now has a brand new steering column because it's not possible to change just the lock. This was the same dealer the car was originally purchased from.
  • As far as I know, this car is not part of the airbag safety recall.
  • Brand new windshield as of late last year

This car has many upgrades and extras:
  • An extra set of 16" wheels with snow tires (the original style 156 wheels)
  • Summer wheels are 17" style 161 - much better than the ugly original wheels and in pretty good shape.
  • Summer tires are Continental Extreme Contact DW's that I bought at the end of last year - but the car runs winter tires for ~6 months year so they're almost brand new (maybe 1000 miles on them now).
  • Factory BMW Cross Bars for the roof rack
  • Factory BMW rubber floor mats (I was tempted to keep them for my 330i!)
  • Rubber cargo mat
  • Curt tow hitch with 1 1/4" to 2" adapter for larger bike carriers
  • Parrot handsfree bluetooth kit (this car doesn't have a bluetooth radio)

Performance upgrades:
  • K&N drop in filter, charcoal filter removed from the factory airbox (never had an issue with the MAF in the 3 years we've had it, or on either of my E9x's)
  • Critically, this car has a 3 stage manifold that I installed earlier this year. The Disa valves were in excellent condition. I rebuilt the hoses that go to the oil separator (better than stock IMO). Pictures and details of that work in this thread.
  • A custom 'Bimmerlabs' tune for the 3 stage manifold - currently this car is set up to run on 87 octane, so it gets the torque bump but not much in the way of power. I'm going to be retuning it for premium fuel just to see what it does - and I can set it up however you like once purchased. I can't release details of everything in the tune, but you can get an idea of my capabilities in this thread.
  • In addition to performance tuning, I've made some 'reliability' tweaks to the DME - for example, the overheat warning thresholds are reduced to give more time in case of pump failure (however unexpected). Additionally, the error codes for the water pump will now trigger a CEL, for example if the pump is running underspeed or drawing too much power. Also, I have reduced the maximum time and miles for the CBS Oil Change Interval to 365 days or 10,000 miles.

It doesn't really need anything at the moment, the brakes are getting low and I will probably replace the pads & fluid soon - otherwise, I would drive this car anywhere. My wife just did a 700 mile trip by herself (with the two kids) trouble free. There are no error codes. It does occasionally tick on startup (HVA issue), but not excessively and most of the time it's quiet - my wife never noticed it. The carfax is clean and the vehicle has not had any major accidents.

The rest of the pics ** to be updated **

Last edited by hassmaschine; 08-08-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #2
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Bump for a great contributor to the forums!

Hard to find a manual E91. GLWS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

thanks! car may sell this weekend - an interesting buyer is paying for an inspection this morning. Glad we laughed at the ridiculous trade in offers.

if not I'll be updating with better pics soon - also, I'm about to flash the 92 octane tune to this car, we'll see what difference it makes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sold!
Appreciate 0