E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Steering wheel alignment (post oil on gasket change)

06-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Steering wheel alignment (post oil on gasket change)

I wasn’t really sure where to post this since there isn’t a steering section. So since my car is an ‘08 335xi, I figured this is as good a place as any. Anywhosers....

I just finished replacing my oil pan gasket and both front axles, and it was a muther! Now that the car is reassembled, I noticed initially that my steering wheel was very slightly out of alignment when driving straight. Additionally, when I parked it last night, as I was backing into a spot and doing a multipoint turn, at one point the steering wheel went way out of alignment (about 60 degrees counter clockwise) while my wheels were straight. Not really knowing what else to do, I pulled the steering wheel hard right quickly, and that sorta put it roughly back to straight. It was late, and dark, so I haven’t had a chance to poke around, but I’m going to crawl underneath it now and see if something looks amiss. I thought I’d get a thread going first in case anyone has some insight.

Additional info:
When changing my oil pan gasket, while I did disconnect the rack and fluid line supports from the subframe and the steering pump from the oil pan, I didn’t actually disconnect any of the splines, fluid lines, or components in series. What I mean is, the steering system was free from its mounts, but remained fully intact. The only thing I did remove that might influence this was the pinch bolt on the lower end of the u-joint on the column, however, I didn’t actually pull apart the u-joint or any part of the column. I also replaced the pinch bolt (in good alignment) shortly after when I realized I didn’t actually need to do that. I’m a bit baffled why why the steering is acting this way.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
bryanjb
e91 2011 sport
Rep
Drives: 2003 325xit

did you get this figured out?

i'd have guessed that the steering shaft U-joint came loose when the pinch bolt was out, and that it's not yet socketed correctly.

if that's what happened, i'd be hesitant to go down the road with it like that...
Appreciate 0