E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Job Opportunity in San Fran - Thoughts???

08-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Job opportunities in San Fran are greater than here in LA. So I would imagine it will be far greater than in Philly. If you're good at what you do, you will move up from 55k very soon. I would definitely do it. SF is an upgrade from Philly.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
eNinety650
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

is it a public accounting firm?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White 335i e90

35k a year for an accounting degree that doesn't seem right man...SF is nice but like everyone said 55k a year will be tough in the city so look outside of the city to save $$$

| It's not about the miles per gallon, it's about the smiles per gallon |
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
Rissei
Rep
Drives: E92 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi2Three35i View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys! This is all great to hear.

The company is located on:

Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105

Hopefully they can fly me out there to see the company and get a chance to look at a few places.
I worked in this zip code for a few years, and you are very close to the East Bay, where rent is a lot cheaper and you can take public transportation (BART) into San Francisco, get off Montgomery St. and walk ~1 block to your job.

Not to mention SF is a terrible place to have a car!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

55k is pretty low. but if you're not from ca it might be worth it to live in sf for the life experience alone. only ppl from the bay area seem to get by with commuting but you miss all the nightlife and random stuff by not living in the city. id say find some roomates and live in the city somewhere close to public transportation.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
STi2Three35i
Second Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe-J.Black/C.Red

Well I'm being asked to go visit the company and San Fran. So I'm officially starting to look for a place to live.

Anyone know someone who's looking for a roommate?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #29
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Ok guys, first thing you need to about the city's name, it's SAN FRANCISCO, not San Fran.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #30
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
I somewhat envy you. My family is still in Michigan, and what you described is the only way I'd move back. Although I've made a lot of good friends out here already.
Glad to hear it. Plan on using FaceTime and Skpe to communicate with friends and family. Too bad we never had a chance to meet each other at any of the BMW meets. I'll be back in November maybe then.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #31
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Ok guys, first thing you need to about the city's name, it's SAN FRANCISCO, not San Fran.
^^^ This is gonna spark some debate about people calling it that...I've heard San Fran & "Frisco"! SMH! Lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #32
liquord
Victim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg87
Quote:
^^^ This is gonna spark some debate about people calling it that...I've heard San Fran & "Frisco"! SMH! Lol!
I've heard just 'the city'.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg87 View Post
Hhahaha, there's no debate about it, then it show that you or they are not from San Francisco area.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
jermoe
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Quote:
Hhahaha, there's no debate about it, then it show that you or they are not from San Francisco area.
I never called san francisco "san fran" but i hear frisco a lot. I was born in san francisco and i always refer to it as "the city." I work in the zip code 94105 so you'll be close to me. It's a small zip code and since you are in accounting and you are on mission, I'm assuming maybe somewhere around the jp morgan building? deloitte is right across the street too.

I have to agree with everybody, SF is an amazing place to live but I'm biased because I've been around the bay area all my life and I'm young.
55k is fine to live downtown really, but get ready to ditch your car. you absolutely do not need it if you plan living downtown. even if you live in the sunset and the richmond, you won't need it. Driving and having parking is a luxury here. If you live in the outer areas, keep your car. I'm the type of person who will do anything to keep my car lol. I did although consider ditching it so I can move downtown.
I live in Daly City and you can find a decent place to live around $600-$1000 for a room to start. Lately, I've been driving and parking in the city (around $20 a day for parking) and it typically takes me around 20 minutes to commute to work. Cheapest (and maybe even fastest) for me is to park at Daly City Bart and take the transit. $5.90 round trip and $2.00 for parking.
if you are working 94105, its absolutely perfect for BART. Just like Rissei said, you get off Montgomery Station and you are only a block away from work. What's nice about working around this area is that you can network very nicely. Even if you are offered this $55k salary, you can definitely get your feet wet in this area and may just find a better position by networking.
Let me know when you move out here! For a fellow member, I don't mind showing you around the area. I love this city and don't mind at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #35
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I'm a Bay Area native. Grew up in the East Bay (Oakland).
S.F. proper is expensive. Don't like in the city. Live in the East Bay and take BART in. As long as you can get to BART you can live anywhere in the East Bay. I work in Silicon Valley but would never live in the South Bay. Why? Too expensive.

You can easily make it on $55K as long as you don't live in S.F.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
xnsf
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

We may be work neighbors (I work off Mission and in 94105 as well).
For any desirable location in SF, which I consider mostly east of twin peaks, expect to spend $1000+ per month for a private single in a house shared with 2-3 other people before utilities and probably no parking spot. Residential parking is usually a 2 hour zone unless you can prove you live nearby, and parking is always difficult.

Commute should be easy within the city. $74 will give you monthly unlimited access to take Muni (local bus/streetcar/trolley system which covers 99% of SF), and BART in SF (high speed bay area subway system). Depending on where you find a place, expect your commute to be delayed up to 1 hour on any day, and expect to sit next to an occasional homeless person on the either Muni or BART. A bus may take up to 30 mins to travel 8 downtown blocks.

Some things to consider as I have found out, if you want to drive to work, expect to pay $15-$32 per day in parking, monthly is about $300-$500 depending on how much you want to walk.

I dealt with Muni/BART for one year and only recently decided to just rent a parking spot for my own well-being.

If you like food, SF is an epicenter of food culture. You don't "live" in SF, you deal with it

But I still love it...although I may move to Seattle (like SF, but easier).
Appreciate 0