E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

03-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #859
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
You probably know already but WRT the M3 steering rack there is a servotronic retrofit so that it lightens up at low speed. If youre lucky and we get M drive on non Ms working soon you might even be able to adjust it. Have a look at the other forums spool is the one.

Ohlins are the best of the best and I think the cost is justified for the performance and quality. I wish i could justify the spend but theres more pressing maintenance to be done (as always)

Surprised about VRSF taking so long to ship ...I know theres a lot of demand for that piece though - perhaps that's why ?

The car looks fantastic as always J - This thing is like a poster car for the rest of us in terms of mods and attention to detail. It's a credit to you.
Yeah I've known a bout it for a while I had been keen to do the rack retrofit back in 2013, but there was a bit of conjecture about tabs not lining up and the extra weight at low speeds. I decided not to do it at that time (I had a mountain of parts to install for my M3 driveline mod at that time) and figured I'd revisit it at a later date.

After driving Vince's car with the 135i fitted with an M3 rack TBH I didn't notice a drastic amount of extra weight at all at low speeds (short 20 min drive) it certainly wasn't enough that it would deter me from the mod which was good.

So since my car is a weekend toy I dont do 3 pt turns, navigating shopping centre car parks I figured I'd do the rack retrofit see how it is then at a later date get some assistance with the servotronic if need be (Vince or hotsd might be able to help!)

Regarding the VRSF race FMIC, they were out of stock and on back order since Oct 2017. They were supposedly having a shipment/crate of them to be delivered before xmas. Maybe there was a supplier issue and they didnt ship them until jan from China or maybe with xmas/new year everything got delayed a lot longer then it should have who knows.. Apparentley there were 100+ guys waiting on these to ship..

Cheers, hopefully it can help others with their builds and selection of parts mods to perform

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 03-05-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #860
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=178

I've been running the M3 rack since September last year. I think the rack is fine without servotronic. Muppet on the 1addicts forums has done the servotronic retrofit, and seems to work. I made up the harness to install but I am still unsure as to whether I actually want the extra assist.

I have driven a few 1Ms and I absolutely hate how at low speeds the rack is boosted a lot and the steering is very light. The assistance vs speed curve is very agressive so if you do a full lock turn and speed up, the steering goes from very light to very heavy which feels very unnatural. This also can happen on very tight hairpin turns. I can see in the coding you can define a custom coding for the amount of assist vs speed, but I am wondering if its even worth the effort. I quite like the heavy steering and gives the car more character. Its also not that heavy, nowhere near as heavy as a car that has no power steering.

Maybe eventually I'll fit the harness I made and start playing with it, but I've been dailying the car and its really a great mod, the responsiveness to the steering is great. Another hidden benefit is that there is now more steering angle than the DSC system actually knows about. This means you can get the rear end to kick out with DTC enabled, so you can have a little bit more fun while having the electronic safety. Additionally, the faster rack does allow you to catch slides more easily.
      03-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #861
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Your car is looking great as usual Shane. The colour of those coilovers should enhance the looks as your car is Space Grey. You will have to do some plastic cutting to fit the VRSF Race IC but your IAT's should reduce considerably. It worked on my car. They are certainly a weighty item. I used a trolley jack to lift into place and secure with the screws. It will good to see how it goes when the turbos and IC are installed. Keep us updated on the outlets that you are getting fabricated.

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  033.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  031.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  105.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #862
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Pics needed when you put this bad boy in Shane
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #863
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Your car is looking great as usual Shane. The colour of those coilovers should enhance the looks as your car is Space Grey. You will have to do some plastic cutting to fit the VRSF Race IC but your IAT's should reduce considerably. It worked on my car. They are certainly a weighty item. I used a trolley jack to lift into place and secure with the screws. It will good to see how it goes when the turbos and IC are installed. Keep us updated on the outlets that you are getting fabricated.
The FMIC itself isnt massive (Well compared to some huge GTR drag cores I've seen in the past which have massive surface area) it is very thick and chunky!

I wont be installing it, as I'll get the workhop to fab up outlet etc to suit the race FMIC and get them to install.

I'll definately keep the thread up to date with pics of the outlet any roadblock etc and if he's keen to do more I'll try and get approx prices
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #864
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Pics needed when you put this bad boy in Shane
I might get some, otherwise by the time I collect the car the front bumper will be covering it all up! (Sound like you might need one!)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #865
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Update on the turbo install DRJ???
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #866
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Update on the turbo install DRJ???
It's been just over 3 weeks since I dropped the car off. unfortunately he had a race car build which required more work then first thought and it went 2 weeks over thus those 2 weeks were spent on finishing that project instead of starting on my build.

My car was supposed to start last tues and with easter long weekend its only 6 days in so he should have turbos in new clutch in, FMIC in, then can start fabbing outlets soon and CP mod (vibrant HD clamp onto Throttle body)

I'll give him a buzz tomorrow to try and get an update on what he's up to and if there's any issues
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #867
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
It's been just over 3 weeks since I dropped the car off. unfortunately he had a race car build which required more work then first thought and it went 2 weeks over thus those 2 weeks were spent on finishing that project instead of starting on my build.

My car was supposed to start last tues and with easter long weekend its only 6 days in so he should have turbos in new clutch in, FMIC in, then can start fabbing outlets soon and CP mod (vibrant HD clamp onto Throttle body)

I'll give him a buzz tomorrow to try and get an update on what he's up to and if there's any issues
Surely a shop knows when they are a day out from finishing a build and calling the customer to come and collect, I don’t get how shop keep cars for weeks and months
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #868
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Surely a shop knows when they are a day out from finishing a build and calling the customer to come and collect, I don’t get how shop keep cars for weeks and months
Yeah Ive been trying to get my car in since xmas, he's been flat out..

I can totally understand that sometimes builds/jobs take longer then expected as you find issues when doing the work (like last time when I had my car booked in to do radiator he found serp belt was damaged- I had to order new engine mounts and wait a few days for them to arrive pushing the job out)

The frustrating thing is there's never a discount for a job which takes longer but lol
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #869
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well my car got put up on the hoist before easter at long last.

The VRSF race FMIC is in, and took some hacking to fit but all fits up nicely.

The Spec stage 2 + clutch and SMF is in.

The VTT GC lites are now mounted in place.

I had the inlet manifold modded to suit larger vac line to BOV.

The chargepipe & throttle body has been modded with a vibrant HD clamp welded in place. I had issues with the CP popping off the TB...

The bad:

CSF radiator has been rubbing on my AC hardline. Vince had this occur on his car and had worn all the way through so that the A/C had leaked out...

The CSF rad had been rubbing up hard against the lower CS chargepipe. I reckon this is why the CP was popping off (I never had the CP pop off in 5 years, started popping off after CSF rad, the wear in lower CP kinda tells the story)

Progress was going well on the custom hardpipe outlet, my mechanic sms'd me to tell me he's pinched a nerve in his neck and is off work atm

Sadly I didn't get pics as I was in a mad rush during my lunch break...

Hopefully she'll be ready within the next week or so
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #870
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91

Re csf radiator on the ac line, I actually noticed this when I installed one for my own car as well. I just carefully bent the line out of the way. The csf radiator is such a nice product to look at out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #871
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaExtremeRetro View Post
Re csf radiator on the ac line, I actually noticed this when I installed one for my own car as well. I just carefully bent the line out of the way. The csf radiator is such a nice product to look at out of the box.
Ahh right, Shane from 3eleven motorsports who's doing my install said he will possibly mod how the radiator sits for further clearance (he was going to look at that when it came time to fitting back up the radiator)

Vince bought the new style A/C line which has different bends in the pipe for further clearance:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...302309&page=11
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #872
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91

Yeah that's a nice solution for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #873
HooDat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi 2008 | c63s amg 2019

Do you think the CSF Radiator will work with upgraded non relocated inlets? or is the space to small that the inlet will rub against the pulleys and fan?

2019 | w205 | C63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #874
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooDat View Post
Do you think the CSF Radiator will work with upgraded non relocated inlets? or is the space to small that the inlet will rub against the pulleys and fan?
Well apparently it's doable, I will have that setup in a few weeks time
Appreciate 1
HooDat31.00
      04-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #875
HooDat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi 2008 | c63s amg 2019

Quote:
Well apparently it's doable, I will have that setup in a few weeks time
awesome. thanks keep me updated!!

2019 | w205 | C63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #876
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Well my car got put up on the hoist before easter at long last.

The VRSF race FMIC is in, and took some hacking to fit but all fits up nicely.

The Spec stage 2 + clutch and SMF is in.

The VTT GC lites are now mounted in place.

I had the inlet manifold modded to suit larger vac line to BOV.

The chargepipe & throttle body has been modded with a vibrant HD clamp welded in place. I had issues with the CP popping off the TB...

The bad:

CSF radiator has been rubbing on my AC hardline. Vince had this occur on his car and had worn all the way through so that the A/C had leaked out...

The CSF rad had been rubbing up hard against the lower CS chargepipe. I reckon this is why the CP was popping off (I never had the CP pop off in 5 years, started popping off after CSF rad, the wear in lower CP kinda tells the story)

Progress was going well on the custom hardpipe outlet, my mechanic sms'd me to tell me he's pinched a nerve in his neck and is off work atm

Sadly I didn't get pics as I was in a mad rush during my lunch break...

Hopefully she'll be ready within the next week or so
Update on the GC's??
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #877
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post
Update on the GC's??
Hey Ed how are you mate? You got a barra in that ranger yet or what?!?

Oh mate I've had bad luck... shortly after that post you quoted he banged himself up pretty bad injuring his wrist and back and was in hospital for a bit...

He's been back now in the shop (he's a one man show with the occasional hired help) for about a month and is wayyy behind and can't tig weld with only one hand, and has other priorities even though he's promised my car is still a 'priority'... (apparently he has a few race cars, obviously they're regular repeat customers and have race schedules to meet)

If it's not done shortly gonna have to somehow flatbed it outta there and find a fabricator to finish off the custom outlet

In the past 4 years I've had my car at advan for 6 months, last year at panel shop for 3 months now at this shop for 3 months that add up to 12 months spent in the shop

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 06-13-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #878
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

I had a full E92 M3 driveline installed a few years back, and the brakes whilst having the sexy cool cross drilled large rotors the calipers themselves work well for what they are, they look quite shit... I've always been keen for some lightweight 18" forged rims (Rays or BBS) and have a sexy AF BBK setup..

E92 M3 BBK's are big $'s and is about $8-10K, and lightweight rims are about $4-10K... Big dollars and not entirely justified on a 335i which can now be had for $15-20k!

Whilst browsing ebay recently I came across a set of M2 brakes with calipers, rotors, pads and lines which had come off a 6 month old car with 4000 kays use.

I'd read a few threads in the past regarding retrofitting these brakes to the E92 M3.

The rotors are similar to the E92 M3 GTS design (typical cast iron rotor with a floating setup that is connected by pins to the aluminium rotor hat. The pin assembly design is utilised for as the temperature increases, it is able to expand freely in a radial direction and subsequently cool down again without any residual deformation. These rotors come in at a bonafide BBK size 380mm front rotors and 370mm and brembo 4pot and 2 pot calipers. (My E92 M3 brake rotors are 360mm & 350mm & heavy basic tech ATE branded single piston sliding calipers)

E92 M3 GTS brake caliper and rotors (brembo 6 pots)

For my M3 setup (I have M3 knuckles shocks hubs brakes etc) the M2/M4 rear caliper and rotor is PNP, for the front an adapter is required to get the caliper to work (I believe on the 335i this bolts up on the 335i front knuckle with F30 m sport rotors but the rear calipers don't fit)

One guy drilled out the original mounting holes, pressed in bushes with offset threaded holes:

Some guys might say this is hacking, but even the big $ BBK's have calipers which only mount to via use of mounting adapters.

I'm a machinist by trade (retired from the tool 15 years ago but) and could potentially do a foreign order at work after hours, or organise for one of our external sub contract machine shops to do this work for me.

Bidding starting price was $1500 or buy it now price $2500.. The seller had upgraded to a AP Racing BBK (the lucky bastard!) and the listing had stated can package up in my AP Racing boxes for freight at your cost.

I don't need new brakes as my existing M3 setup is only slightly used with plenty of life left in the rotors and pads, but considering new F&R E92 M3 rotors are $1400 and with pads $1700 figured I'd have a sneaky sniper bid on the M2 setup and see what transpires as it would be a cheap 'BBK' upgrade over my existing setup!

It had been a while since I'd done an ebay sniper bid, with sweaty hands and the countdown on, I bidded $1580 with 4 seconds to go and bam won the auction at $1500! Was pretty happy with that as the ebay listing was eligiable for 5% discount code, so I sent the seller a message to ask him to package the brakes then send me dimensions so i could arrange for a courier to collect. Received a pretty snooty response, that he's happy to put in boxes but surely i can just guesstimate weights based on information on google and wanted a bank transfer as he wanted to avoid paypal fees..

I'm like WTF how can I do that, I need dimensions for the boxes etc to get a price for shipping, so asked for the box dimensions. He replies back he doesn't have bathroom scales and didn't commit to measuring or weighing boxes only that he'd package them for collection... He was being quite aggressive and kept demanding intention of payment and collection and if I didnt collect he'd cancel the purchase and relist..

Seems like he had his nose out of joint at the selling price, and I really felt like telling him to get rooted (his listing stated paypal as payment and he'd package up for freight - so you'd assume he'd send you dimension etc so you could organise freight!) but I decided to remain calm and seek help!

The seller was located in Fitzroy Vict, and I had noticed this was closeby to PeterY so I asked Pete for a huge favour and Pete was more then happy to help! I organised with Pete to collect them from the Ahole seller and felt bad for putting him out... When Pete collected them he said the seller kept saying he was spewing they sold for $1500 and kept slipping it into the convo every 2 mins

Of course there were no boxes for the rotors, but Pete went above and beyond to find boxes then package them, weigh them and end me dimensions and then drop 60kg of brakes off to the depot as the couriers went to the neighbour house by mistake

Pete deserve some good karma to come his way for always helping out and providing info for forum users, cant thank the guy enough

The next item on my hit list is a set of 18" rims. I love the look of the 359M's it suits the shape of the E92 so well, but well they're quite heavy and 18's are a lot lighter and on rough roads the higher profiles will help with comfort!

I love the look of the 513M's which come on the F80 M3/M4 in USA/Europe as standard fitment and are actually a forged lightweight rim.

These are 18x9 +29 & 18x10 +40, so suit the E92 335i perfectly and look very OEM+

Then there are the rays ZE40's in diamond dark gun metal.

These come in the following sizes to suit 335i:

18x9.5 +50
18x8.5 +45
18x10.5 +30
18x9.5 +40
18x9.5 +20

Its expensive to ship the 513M rims from usa or europe (plus lot of guys want these rims!) so might have to go for the rays setup
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pete.J321.50
      06-18-2018, 04:22 AM   #879
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Well the M2 brakes arrived today they look great

In other news I've placed my order from rays jp for a set of ZE40's in 18" x 9.5 +20 & 10.5" +30 in diamond dark gunmetal.

They're quite an agressive fitment for sure & these are a Face 3, so has nice concavity the other dead safe oem size fitment rims look pretty weak IMO..

These will be an 8-10 week wait unfortunately, but im in no rush!

Vid displaying the rim color:

Once the rims land it's time to buy some fresh rubber!

Yokohama AD08R, Hankook RS4 (cheap!) or Michelin PS4S (stock will be in oz by then AFAIK)
Attached Images

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 06-18-2018 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #880
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Nice wheels.
Good buy on the brakes too.
Appreciate 0