E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Steering rack clunking noise

10-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Steering rack clunking noise

Hi,

Just want to find it whether u boys and some girls are having possible the same problem as me ?

I am experiancing a clunking sound while turn my steering right to left or left to right while parking the car. Its an annoying sound and i know its a problem but spoken to a friend and apparently its a design fault but i dont believe that bmw would make that mistake sheer driving pleasure with a clunk! Lol

So i went and did more research, found that its the steering knucle that needs replacing. And it is reported in US people are getting the said after replacing their brakes or after install/uninstaling DP and so i just want to bring the issue up.

Please share some exp if u have any and also what was the problem ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

mmmmm i could have this, do you get it all the time, most of the time or sometimes?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yup, I am having the same problem as you kaitan. Whenever I am parking the car, or the car is travelling at very low speed, there just seems to be either clunking or clicking noise whenever the steering wheel is turning and it is just getting rather annoying.

Do you know how much it will cost to replace the steering knucle?
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
mmmmm i could have this, do you get it all the time, most of the time or sometimes?
Everytime i park the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Everytime i park the car...
yep sounds about right
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Yup, I am having the same problem as you kaitan. Whenever I am parking the car, or the car is travelling at very low speed, there just seems to be either clunking or clicking noise whenever the steering wheel is turning and it is just getting rather annoying.

Do you know how much it will cost to replace the steering knucle?
Zen, i have no idea actually but only 1 post said that his car stop making the sound after changing the steering knuckle but im not quite sure whether that is the main solution. Yes it is very annoying and worst i keep thinking my car is gonna break ! Arggghhh i onl had the car for 3 months
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Zen, i have no idea actually but only 1 post said that his car stop making the sound after changing the steering knuckle but im not quite sure whether that is the main solution. Yes it is very annoying and worst i keep thinking my car is gonna break ! Arggghhh i onl had the car for 3 months
Haha, exactly the same thoughts that I had. I had the car for 1 month and those clicking and clunking noise is driving me crazy! Well I hope it is the steering knuckle, I don't want to be told later that my whole bloody steering column / rack needs replacing..
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Haha, exactly the same thoughts that I had. I had the car for 1 month and those clicking and clunking noise is driving me crazy! Well I hope it is the steering knuckle, I don't want to be told later that my whole bloody steering column / rack needs replacing..
If thats the case that the steering collumn has to be change then ouch ! I wont be a happy chap ! Hmmm at the moment i dont have time to send the car in. Zen do u know whether the previous owner have done a DP?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If thats the case that the steering collumn has to be change then ouch ! I wont be a happy chap ! Hmmm at the moment i dont have time to send the car in. Zen do u know whether the previous owner have done a DP?
The previous owner is not into modding, so everything is stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

I had this same problem and it went for a service at BMW then it went away
I have had the noise in about 4 months
Used to happy when i put the car into reverse and reverse park in my drieway just as i made the first turn on the steering i would hear the clunk noise then it wouldnt happen again.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Hi,

Just want to find it whether u boys and some girls are having possible the same problem as me ?

I am experiancing a clunking sound while turn my steering right to left or left to right while parking the car. Its an annoying sound and i know its a problem but spoken to a friend and apparently its a design fault but i dont believe that bmw would make that mistake sheer driving pleasure with a clunk! Lol

So i went and did more research, found that its the steering knucle that needs replacing. And it is reported in US people are getting the said after replacing their brakes or after install/uninstaling DP and so i just want to bring the issue up.

Please share some exp if u have any and also what was the problem ?
i had a clunk just on hard lock... my tyre pressure was low after filling it went away.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
STUMP
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

i have this same problem when reverse parking.. joy.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
i had a clunk just on hard lock... my tyre pressure was low after filling it went away.
Hmm i doubt it's my tyre pressure I realise it's mostly reversing but sometimes moving the car infront to park
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT

Steering rack lock is a common problem - it just didn't happen with the E46 so far as I had noticed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #15
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330i

Steering cluncking could be many things, it's almost impossible to diagnoses by just describing it.
One simple thing you can check is your strut braces. Those things have a tendency to come loose, or just didn't get put back on correctly last time someone had them off.
Make sure check all 3 bolts, centre one is underneath the round cover on the bottom of the windscreen.
I have had alot of cases where it fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The previous owner is not into modding, so everything is stock.
U managed to fix this problem ? Where are u based? Maybe we can see and confirm whether its the same sound?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

I too have a clunking noise. I notice the noise when I turing my steering wheel really fast during parking and only going from left/right lock back to straight/centre position if u know what I mean. I only start noticing this the last year.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335i coupe FBO JB4/Meth

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post
I too have a clunking noise. I notice the noise when I turing my steering wheel really fast during parking and only going from left/right lock back to straight/centre position if u know what I mean. I only start noticing this the last year.
You get this problem fixed yet? I think mine is doing the same thing as all described here. My mechanic told me it was shocks/struts but after I replaced still heard the noise. Now they are thinking it is the steering rack? Seems to be worse when it is hot out? Are the bolts in the steering rack aluminum? Maybe when I did my downpipes this could be the cause?
JB4/ETS FMIC/Ultimate Racing Downpipes/MagnaFLow exhaust/ECS crank pulley/Dinan oil cooler/Dinan carbon fiber intake/Dinan Strut bar/VIS racing carbon fiber hood/CPE charge pipe w/Tial BOV/Meth/Spec Stage2+ clutch
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billt335 View Post
You get this problem fixed yet? I think mine is doing the same thing as all described here. My mechanic told me it was shocks/struts but after I replaced still heard the noise. Now they are thinking it is the steering rack? Seems to be worse when it is hot out? Are the bolts in the steering rack aluminum? Maybe when I did my downpipes this could be the cause?
Are your brakes running low on pads?? Apparently this is what the sound is coming from and it's a common problem/sound.

It only happens when going slow speed ie parking the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #20
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335i coupe FBO JB4/Meth

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
Are your brakes running low on pads?? Apparently this is what the sound is coming from and it's a common problem/sound.

Going slow and more apparent when turning? My brake pads were replaced about a year ago but might be something else to consider?
JB4/ETS FMIC/Ultimate Racing Downpipes/MagnaFLow exhaust/ECS crank pulley/Dinan oil cooler/Dinan carbon fiber intake/Dinan Strut bar/VIS racing carbon fiber hood/CPE charge pipe w/Tial BOV/Meth/Spec Stage2+ clutch
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Quote:

mine brakes clunk so unattractive and cbf for pad replacement at the moment

1st world problems....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billt335 View Post
Still have problem. Haven't notice as much in winter but mainly because i have my windows up more now in cold weather. I think the sound might start to come back in summer.

My pad and disc are still pretty good.
Appreciate 0