E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > After 4 long years of owning a 335i....

03-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Like that one guy said..it's a hit or miss with BMWs especially with the 335. Sorry to hear about all the problems, I'd be pissed too. I'm not sure Audi is any better though..not sure about their new models though, they might have changed last time I checked. Good luck with your next car!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #24
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Sorry for your experience... but retard I am not! German cars are great even thought most have some maintenance problems (which can be expensive). My method to keep cost down is do as much maintenance as possible myself, change oil early, and hope for the best! Good luck with your next car, but I wouldn't expect an Audi to be extremely reliable...

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth317 View Post
Than? Really? Lol use the correct "THEN" and THEN make a post. Also....I got my 335i back in Sept with under 20k miles on it...now I'm at a little over 23k and I haven't had a major problem. Bringing my E92 in tomorrow for that recall work and to replace a bulb.

http://grammarist.com/usage/than-then/
You use lol? Really?
You also use "..." instead of a comma. Really?
Also, who's bringing in your E92 tomorrow?

I ♥ when the grammar police don't use proper grammar or punctuation.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #26
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

I also have a 2009, may build, M-sport 6MT, fully loaded. I don't have half the problems you have.
63k miles and still going coming up on 4 years now.

The only thing I had were:

1. HPFP replaced under recall. There were symptoms of hard starts. But after new HPFP, not anymore.

2. rear tail light malfunction on two different sides both taken care of under warranty at 22k miles.

3. replaced rear muffler at 49k miles.

4. replace rattling wastegate actuator rods, no problems now.

The dealer also performed all other maintenance.

Never had a check-engine light or limp mode. Car is now on Cobb AP Stage1 for 10k miles no problem.

I believe I can reach 100k miles with this car with very minimal maintenance/repair costs. I have a minor oil housing gasket leak ($15 part) but I will be doing the labor myself. I will also check the valve cover gasket. This summer, I will be replacing the water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt. These jobs alone at an indy should would cost north of 3 grand. But I'm pretty handy, and so far it's only going to cost me $1000+ in parts if I just DIY.

I consider that a very small price to pay for a car to reach 100k miles. I haven't even paid for brakes/rotors out of my pocket yet and those brakes/rotors are good for another 30k miles according to the CBS.

I think you got a lemon. Those who have 2007/08 may have more problems. Especially those who have the older subframe that keeps hitting the powersteering pulley which breaks the belt.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
anpk05
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have a 328i, which most will agree as the less troublesome compared to the 335i. But I've had e46 m3, which had often repairs, normal things. But that moment where you blast on the highway hearing the raspy exhaust and instant thrill of driving an m3 was great, it makes you forget about all the repairs/ maintenance. I don't know what your co workers are telling you about M cars. They are simply awesome.
      03-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #28
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Your time will come.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #29
junitos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: T0PL3SS BIMM3R

hearing these stories makes me think twice about spending more money on my bmw

then I see youtube videos of bimmers pulling on lambo's
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #30
e90domz
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' bmw 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0at23 View Post
I am going to leave BMW. This is for all those who are considering buying this engine or a similar BMW turbo charged engine.

First 10K Miles great! Drives great no problems! I wonder who are all those sad saps on the forum talking about their car troubles. It had to be the older models 07-08 where BMW is working out their kinks! Cause my car drives great.

11k miles... Metallic rattling coming from the engine... Brought it in dealership, had to replace oil valve for leakage and they made some "tweaks" to stop it from rattling. No biggie.

13k miles... loud rattling coming from exhaust. Brought it in, waited a week for them to diagnose the problem. They said the left exhaust is defective and replace the exhaust. A little annoying.

20K miles... rattling from the engine returns... Now there is a software update! It stopped the rattling for about a month. Now I'm just gonna live with it cause I can't keep iinterupting my life, career, commute so I can fix my brand new 57K car.

25K miles... HPFP... Gee thanks BMW. Parts not available because every other N54 engine got their HPFP replaced probably! No loaner available because they were all out so I got a Chevy HK or something like that. You know the peice of shit that looks like a hurst. They told me they did something else for the rattling noise as well! How thoughtful!

38K Miles... Rattling from under the Vehicle returned about 30K miles but again... Also During this span I have ridiculous squeeling from the brakes and also the suspension when I go up or down a curved on/off ramp or making a sharp turn. I was tired of bringing it in to the dealership but the noise has become too much. They discovered that the oil pipe, coolant valve, bushings, rotors/brakes, and turbos need replacing. I felt great after this service. It drove great! Almost new... till...

38.5K miles... LOL thats right my car is in the shop as we speak. I woke up this morning on my way to work. I drove 3 city blocks and the engine started shaking. It was shaking and the engine started misfiring. Turbos lagging. I drove 1 more block to a quiet street and while doing so the exhaust was spitting out large amounts of white smoke. BMW roadside service 2 hours later took it to dealership and they said its probably the injectors are clogged. They said they cant do anything right now cause there are other cars ahead of me LOL for similar priority problems as well (HPFP, WASTEGATES, ETC.) and they are swamped from the battery wire recall? And the M5 M6 recalls? ROFL...

WHAT A JOKE. BMW's are fun to drive for about 20K miles. After that its a joke. This is not just me. My friends co-workers own BMW's too. From the v10 m5/m6, to m3's, 3 series, 5 series. My friends combined is like a BMW showroom and they all have had at least 1 huge time consuming problem with their cars. I'm sure there a a select few with no problems but most have had similar dealings and a solid amount are like me... FRUSTRATED. I've read consumer reports about Audi being the most reliable out of the 3 big German brands. I'm getting a RS5 if I can still get one (hopefully still available 2014 model)

I know there will be die hard people here who will bash me. But come on son! Don't lie to yourself. I love driving BMW's too but this is ridiculous....

If you buy a N54 or N55 engine after reading this than your a retard. I read a few post like this before I got my car and I still bought one and BOYYYY DO I FEEL STUPID. Don't be a retard like me...
My bmw had 190K miles in 3 years not a single problem. didn't even change its oil. the trick is to never change your oil..... it will keep your car running for century's
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #31
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i coupe M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
You use lol? Really?
You also use "..." instead of a comma. Really?
Also, who's bringing in your E92 tomorrow?

I ♥ when the grammar police don't use proper grammar or punctuation.
+1. I'm typing fast and angrily on my phone. I'm sorry I made these fan boys who lie about the reliability of their cars just because they don't want to admit they made a 57k$ mistake.

I'm sorry to all those that I've offended by my bad grammar. It still doesn't mean the 335 is not a POS.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
I also have a 2009, may build, M-sport 6MT, fully loaded. I don't have half the problems you have.

1. HPFP replaced under recall. There were symptoms of hard starts. But after new HPFP, not anymore.

2. rear tail light malfunction on two different sides both taken care of under warranty at 22k miles.

Never had a check-engine light or limp mode. Car is now on Cobb AP Stage1 for 10k miles no problem.

I believe I can reach 100k miles with this car with very minimal maintenance/repair costs. I have a minor oil housing gasket leak ($15 part) but I will be doing the labor myself. I will also check the valve cover gasket. This summer, I will be replacing the water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt. These jobs alone at an indy should would cost north of 3 grand. But I'm pretty handy, and so far it's only going to cost me $1000+ in parts if I just DIY.

I consider that a very small price to pay for a car to reach 100k miles. I haven't even paid for brakes/rotors out of my pocket yet and those brakes/rotors are good for another 30k miles according to the CBS.

I think you got a lemon. Those who have 2007/08 may have more problems. Especially those who have the older subframe that keeps hitting the powersteering pulley which breaks the belt.
Dude you listed a ridiculous amount of problems for a car with 63k miles... You consider that small? I forgot to list rear brake light malfunction as one of my problems. Thanks for reminding me. I guess you haven't gotten stranded with one of your problems yet. It's a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post

i don't know if you ever had another car but those repairs (under warranty or not) are not your average wear and tear, that is some massive failure on components. you were just lucky that were repaired under warranty.
Do not expect those are to be the last problems you have to deal with it.
the 335 is a fantastic machine, it's simply not reliable, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #34
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

so what did you get to replace the bmw ?

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #35
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
so what did you get to replace the bmw ?

ppp
well my goal in HS during the e46 days was to get a M3 when I can afford one. I can afford one now but I don't know if I want one anymore. Although it won't be in the shop every few months like the 335i, I am just too scared to trust BMW right now. I'm just waiting for my car to come out of the shop with my new battery wire Lol, and my whole injectors thing to resolve. After I get my POS back I'm going car shopping looking at the $70-80k range. I like the CLS 550, cherokee SRT8, and the A7. But I don't think I'm done driving a coupe yet. I'm single 28 with no kids so a 4 door is not necessary. I want a V8 more than anything. 4 wheel drive would be a plus as well cause it can get bad here in the winter. I have my heart set on a Audi RS5 but don't know how available it is. I think the 2013's are all sold out. Hopefully my car won't have any problems before 2014's comes out. I guess I'll have to go to a dealership when ever I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I have 90k on mine. No issues like you. Sorry about your luck.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #37
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

Quote:
FEEL Don't be a retard like me...
I lurked here for about a month before purchasing our 335i n54. Talked to independent and bmw mechanics, I felt reassured. However a sad story like yours makes me feel a bit uneasy inside. We chose a perfect model with low miles and of course cpo in case.

We are going on a three week road trip next month and are driving this car, so I hope everything goes well. One thing I notice, being active on mostly motorcycle boards is that the internet boards are such a small percentage of actual owners, and some only join boards to vent, not saying this is you by the way. Seems like here in San Luis Obispo, every other car is a bmw and they seem to be running well without a huge line out the door of the local dealership service bays.

What i would do with your car is contact a good lemon law attorney, have had a friend that did this with two GMC's it works and you come out of it financially untouched. You deserve that.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #38
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
well my goal in HS during the e46 days was to get a M3 when I can afford one. I can afford one now but I don't know if I want one anymore. Although it won't be in the shop every few months like the 335i, I am just too scared to trust BMW right now. I'm just waiting for my car to come out of the shop with my new battery wire Lol, and my whole injectors thing to resolve. After I get my POS back I'm going car shopping looking at the $70-80k range. I like the CLS 550, cherokee SRT8, and the A7. But I don't think I'm done driving a coupe yet. I'm single 28 with no kids so a 4 door is not necessary. I want a V8 more than anything. 4 wheel drive would be a plus as well cause it can get bad here in the winter. I have my heart set on a Audi RS5 but don't know how available it is. I think the 2013's are all sold out. Hopefully my car won't have any problems before 2014's comes out. I guess I'll have to go to a dealership when ever I get my car back.
What about a GTR ?

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #39
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Sorry to hear OP. Audi's are great cars but I would still rather prefer BMW because..... BMW.

'08, 32k, no problems thus far...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #40
flybyknight
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 08 335i

I've have my 335i since October, bought it with 66k and car currently has 82k on it, have had a few problems but nothing like you guys speak of, I had a bent control arm, warranty replaced, I had an oil leak, same thing, my tire pressure monitor on rear tire, which I was told when the tec did the brakes he messed it up, and when I installed jb4 car misfired so I had it in for spark plugs and coil packs, that may seem long but all minor things, I usually go to flemington bmw in nj, I know a guy there. But all in all i have owned a number of cars in my short time, including a e36 and 46 m3 a e39 5 series, and e36 328is, and my current is a 335i, just to name bmw, but my 93 mitsu vr4 twin game me problems from the active wing to the rear suspension, ive had an a4 that had a bunch of electrical issues, and know of buddies that have had problems with previous gen s4 the bi turob...my mustang gt rear diff blew, and i didnt do burn outs, my dads benz seat is stuck in a crazy position and his auto wipers would come on with no rain, a buddy has a tl type s and his v-tec wouldnt crossover or change over for some reason, my mom has a 750li that really didnt have a major problem until about 120k bmw replaced motor then at 123k something with electric in tranny they did that. I mean you can go to almost any car forum from German to Asia to America and hear Horror stories, it does suck that you've had a really bad experience but, I don't think most people have your luck with bmws, things break, ESP because 335i was like the first turbo car bmw reintroduced since forever, correct me if I'm wrong, and if you had it the first year it was released it was bound to have bugs, I mean off topic, doesn't it piss you off when you get a new phone an it gives you problems, it freezes and after you get stuck in a 2 year contract they come out with the same phone with none of the problems your having you know...not many cars out there in price point that will be a whole lot better:-/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #41
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
I am going to leave BMW. This is for all those who are considering buying this engine or a similar BMW turbo charged engine.

First 10K Miles great! Drives great no problems! I wonder who are all those sad saps on the forum talking about their car troubles. It had to be the older models 07-08 where BMW is working out their kinks! Cause my car drives great.

11k miles... Metallic rattling coming from the engine... Brought it in dealership, had to replace oil valve for leakage and they made some "tweaks" to stop it from rattling. No biggie.

13k miles... loud rattling coming from exhaust. Brought it in, waited a week for them to diagnose the problem. They said the left exhaust is defective and replace the exhaust. A little annoying.

20K miles... rattling from the engine returns... Now there is a software update! It stopped the rattling for about a month. Now I'm just gonna live with it cause I can't keep iinterupting my life, career, commute so I can fix my brand new 57K car.

25K miles... HPFP... Gee thanks BMW. Parts not available because every other N54 engine got their HPFP replaced probably! No loaner available because they were all out so I got a Chevy HK or something like that. You know the peice of shit that looks like a hurst. They told me they did something else for the rattling noise as well! How thoughtful!

38K Miles... Rattling from under the Vehicle returned about 30K miles but again... Also During this span I have ridiculous squeeling from the brakes and also the suspension when I go up or down a curved on/off ramp or making a sharp turn. I was tired of bringing it in to the dealership but the noise has become too much. They discovered that the oil pipe, coolant valve, bushings, rotors/brakes, and turbos need replacing. I felt great after this service. It drove great! Almost new... till...

38.5K miles... LOL thats right my car is in the shop as we speak. I woke up this morning on my way to work. I drove 3 city blocks and the engine started shaking. It was shaking and the engine started misfiring. Turbos lagging. I drove 1 more block to a quiet street and while doing so the exhaust was spitting out large amounts of white smoke. BMW roadside service 2 hours later took it to dealership and they said its probably the injectors are clogged. They said they cant do anything right now cause there are other cars ahead of me LOL for similar priority problems as well (HPFP, WASTEGATES, ETC.) and they are swamped from the battery wire recall? And the M5 M6 recalls? ROFL...

WHAT A JOKE. BMW's are fun to drive for about 20K miles. After that its a joke. This is not just me. My friends co-workers own BMW's too. From the v10 m5/m6, to m3's, 3 series, 5 series. My friends combined is like a BMW showroom and they all have had at least 1 huge time consuming problem with their cars. I'm sure there a a select few with no problems but most have had similar dealings and a solid amount are like me... FRUSTRATED. I've read consumer reports about Audi being the most reliable out of the 3 big German brands. I'm getting a RS5 if I can still get one (hopefully still available 2014 model)

I know there will be die hard people here who will bash me. But come on son! Don't lie to yourself. I love driving BMW's too but this is ridiculous....

If you buy a N54 or N55 engine after reading this than your a retard. I read a few post like this before I got my car and I still bought one and BOYYYY DO I FEEL STUPID. Don't be a retard like me...
I'm right there with you. When you combine all the issues the cars have and then add on the inconvenience of the lease end process (especially with runflat tires) and the price you have to pay it's just not worth it. I was looking at a new 328i sedan and the one I wanted, even after mitigating expensive option, was mid 40s. I said screw it and got a CPO 2009 Porsche Cayman Base with 20k miles for $38k. Based on the reviews and the initial 6 months, it's the most solid car I've ever had and should be quite reliable. I love BMWs. In general I prefer them to the Porsches but it just got to be too much for the money. My lease ends in about 10 days and it's going to be sad, but I was just over all the hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
Do you need a hug? Sorry, just kidding. I think you have a lemon, not the usual BMW experience. Such a shame, maybe you should try a Japanese or Korean product, i can assure you that north American products are no better if not worse.....
I have to disagree with you here. I had a 2002 Mustang GT and it never had any serious issues. It had only one warranty repair- a window regulator- and it was heavily modded. My family has had a bunch of American SUVs, albeit the truck-based full sized ones, and the only major issue has been a transmission rebuild on an 03 expedition. I will preface that with the fact that this expedition regularly tows a 4500lb boat/trailer up to and down from an 8000'+ elevation and it isn't usually doing it at 55.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
MountainStone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

Quote:
After I get my POS back I'm going car shopping looking at the $70-80k range. I like the CLS 550, cherokee SRT8, and the A7. But I don't think I'm done driving a coupe yet. I'm single 28 with no kids so a 4 door is not necessary. I want a V8 more than anything. 4 wheel drive would be a plus as well cause it can get bad here in the winter. I have my heart set on a Audi RS5 but don't know how available it is. I think the 2013's are all sold out. Hopefully my car won't have any problems before 2014's comes out. I guess I'll have to go to a dealership when ever I get my car back.
If you can wait, Mercedes AMG is switching over to all AWD models (except for S- and SL-classes) next year. Get yourself a C63 AWD coupe and never look back. I traded my C32 AMG for my 335 and I have regretted it all four times I have been to the BMW service department so far. My old Merc was much more durable, and more importantly to me, much more DIY-friendly. BMW had my 335 for two days to diagnose a bad battery, replace it and register it. In a Merc, you just replace the battery and be on your way. Brake pad changes take two minutes per caliper and require only a large pair of slip-joint pliers, a drift pin and a small hammer. Oil changes are done from the top of the motor and can be accomplished in minutes with only a filter wrench and oil extractor. Turbo motors are so easy and cheap to mod, but a big naturally-aspirated V8 is just so much more durable. Good luck and let us know where you land
      03-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #43
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
What about a GTR ?

ppp
I was thinking about it but I would have to get it used. The thing about a used GTR is that everyone that buys one drives that thing hard.

Last edited by g0at23; 03-29-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #44
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStone View Post
If you can wait, Mercedes AMG is switching over to all AWD models (except for S- and SL-classes) next year. Get yourself a C63 AWD coupe and never look back. I traded my C32 AMG for my 335 and I have regretted it all four times I have been to the BMW service department so far. My old Merc was much more durable, and more importantly to me, much more DIY-friendly. BMW had my 335 for two days to diagnose a bad battery, replace it and register it. In a Merc, you just replace the battery and be on your way. Brake pad changes take two minutes per caliper and require only a large pair of slip-joint pliers, a drift pin and a small hammer. Oil changes are done from the top of the motor and can be accomplished in minutes with only a filter wrench and oil extractor. Turbo motors are so easy and cheap to mod, but a big naturally-aspirated V8 is just so much more durable. Good luck and let us know where you land
wow I didn't know they were going AWD. I've driven my buddy's c63 sedan and the sound of that engine and exhaust was amazing. I wonder how it will be with 4 wheel drive. That was one of the major gripes according to the reviews. I haven't pushed it myself. Performance wise it probably kills anything in the price range if it can put the power to the ground.
Also, NA engines especially NA v8s are bullet proof. That's the main selling point for the rs5 for me.
Appreciate 0