E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Answer these interview questions.....

03-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Answer these interview questions.....

Why are you currently looking for a job with our XYZ company?
Why do you want to leave your current job?

I've googled all the "canned" responses and think they are BS and employers can sense its BS too....
like " well im looking to advance my career in the so-and-so industry " thats true..but sounds like complete bullshit =(

what would you guys say?

my background info..

looking for an associate sales/assistant job within wealth management

interview in Newport Beach on Wed ..I've got all the other questions down pretty good...but I always find myself struggling with this question...how do I convey to the interviewer that I have a good reason to work there aside from " oh your company is soo prestigious and I want to make more money and I currently hate my current job"

03-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post

I feel as though there's more potential for growth here at xyz compared to my current workplace. I felt as though my skills I've acquired over the years were being limited at my current workplace, and I want to continually be challenged to help me grow within the company so that i can help contribute to XYZ.

i dunno. that was off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I feel like XYZ can give me the best opportunity to grow as a professional and give me exposure to the client base that I am interested in. In addition, the resources, culture, and background of XYZ are in line with the attributes that I seek in an employer.

But why do you want to go work for them? Depending on the honest answer, that may be the best route.
      03-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
thanks for the responses guys...i was getting a little worried i wouldn't get a response ( serious for that matter) in OT

here's what Ive come up with.
" I feel company XYZ can help me to grow my sales capabilities and allow me to refine the skills that i already posses"

I'm going to work on the delivery more than the actual substance..based on what I've read employers focus more on how you speak/tell your story as opposed to what you actually have to say
      03-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

those seem like they can be bs;d easily.. the one i HATEEEEEEE the most is "give me 1 positive feature of urself" followed by the stupid question "what would 1 negative thing be about you"

first parts easy.. what the hell are u suppose to say about the other one, ever been asked that?
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
near the end, ask them if they have any reservations in hiring you and address their concerns accordingly

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham335i View Post
those seem like they can be bs;d easily.. the one i HATEEEEEEE the most is "give me 1 positive feature of urself" followed by the stupid question "what would 1 negative thing be about you"

first parts easy.. what the hell are u suppose to say about the other one, ever been asked that?
not sure if it's too played out but back then i used to always use the "i'm over analytical which can be a good thing and a bad thing". So i used to always give that response with some b/s added to it if asked that question.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
i hate that stupid question too..its pretty difficult to answer w/o throwing yourself under the bus..because, lets face it, nobody's perfect...not even us E90ers lol..

what i do is tell a story about how when i first got into the business and was struggling with multi-tasking..then i go blah blah blah and here's how I solved my problem..they tend to like that one...

man this job market is tough...

at the end of the interview I think I'm going to go for the jugular and close with " I really enjoyed this meeting and like everything I hear and would like the job if you are willing to offer it to me"

what do you think? too aggressive?
      03-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
i hate that stupid question too..its pretty difficult to answer w/o throwing yourself under the bus..because, lets face it, nobody's perfect...not even us E90ers lol..

what i do is tell a story about how when i first got into the business and was struggling with multi-tasking..then i go blah blah blah and here's how I solved my problem..they tend to like that one...

man this job market is tough...

at the end of the interview I think I'm going to go for the jugular and close with " I really enjoyed this meeting and like everything I hear and would like the job if you are willing to offer it to me"

what do you think? too aggressive?

id say its way to aggressive yes... id go with "i really appreciate your time in meeting me i look forward to hearing from u soon" ??? what do i know tho
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
lol..i dont know how else to convey " ireallyreallyreallywantthisfuckingjobmorethananyth ing"
w/o explicitly saying it =(

this is a sales job so maybe they'll appreciate it????
      03-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

You can say you like everything you've heard, but saying you'd take the job if it was offered is sort of redundant. If you didn't want the job you wouldn't be interviewing.
      03-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
"thank you for your time and shedding a lot of color on the opportunity here, i really like everything I've heard so far and look forward to hearing from you" ?

better?
      03-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
the one that pisses me off the most is "where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

at one of the interviews I just laughed and said "next question".
Needless to say I never got a call back. haha
      03-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

interviewing is like dating never come off too desperate..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
interviewing is like dating never come off too desperate..
+1

The more comfortable you can make yourself, the more you'll be able to convey your actual feelings/thoughts and present yourself in an honest way.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

When I went into a interview for a job that I wasnt too interested in but was forced by my mom, I told them "to be honest the other job no longer interest me and you pay more." The interviewer laughed and offered me the job saying it was refreshing not getting a canned answer.

Nope didnt take that job, I actually liked my other job and that one didnt pay that much less.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
topconlacj
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: http://www.humanresources.hrvinet.co...view-questions

Best rgs

Last edited by topconlacj; 12-07-2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I want to help your company and move myself forward, blah blah blah

I feel that I have benefited myself from the opportunities given and I am ready to move on to another company that is going to be able to use my vast about of experience
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

The reason why you're having a problem with these questions is that you don't think your real answer is good enough; when in fact, that is all the interviewer wants to hear.

When I get asked those types of questions (which is usually all the time), I tell them the truth straight up. I tell them the exact reason why I'd consider working for them and why i want to leave my current company.

The minute you try to give an answer you think the interviewer wants to hear is the minute you screw yourself.

For your reference, I work in software sales for a super large IT company and I interview people all the time. As sales folks, we can read BS a mile away so just be honest. You'll gain more acceptance & respect that way.
Appreciate 0