E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > E91 335is DCT Build

05-31-2019, 10:56 PM   #45
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
Thanks guys!

Btw, are there any alternative solutions for a rear M-Tech bumper or am I stuck with having to order an OEM from the dealer?

I thought finding a rear E61 M-Tech bumper was hard when I was looking for one (which I eventually found used), but a used E91 sounds like a dream.
I haven't found any... I've been looking, and it seems for the wagon, the only way is oem unless a unicorn pops up in your local pick n pull.

Because of the wagons different taillights and rear quarters the bumper is approx 75% different... maybe less... some have had success chopping and grafting a sedans msport/tech lower portion to the upper part of the wagons bumper... but in the end I'd rather not have hacked bumpers.

I haven't been able to find any replica msport/tech touring rear bumpers in the US. There were a handful of people making them overseas in EU where wagons are more common, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be cost effective in to ship them here unless we wanted to get a group buy together
For all that work, you might as well do the M3 bumper conversion.
      05-31-2019, 11:49 PM   #46
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys!

Btw, are there any alternative solutions for a rear M-Tech bumper or am I stuck with having to order an OEM from the dealer?

I thought finding a rear E61 M-Tech bumper was hard when I was looking for one (which I eventually found used), but a used E91 sounds like a dream.
I haven't found any... I've been looking, and it seems for the wagon, the only way is oem unless a unicorn pops up in your local pick n pull.

Because of the wagons different taillights and rear quarters the bumper is approx 75% different... maybe less... some have had success chopping and grafting a sedans msport/tech lower portion to the upper part of the wagons bumper... but in the end I'd rather not have hacked bumpers.

I haven't been able to find any replica msport/tech touring rear bumpers in the US. There were a handful of people making them overseas in EU where wagons are more common, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be cost effective in to ship them here unless we wanted to get a group buy together
Exactly and that still requires grafting since the m3 was never offered as a wagon... at least with the e61 they offered the ///m variant.

Honestly the oem mtech with a badass diffuser is going to look and fit the best. That's the direction I'm headed when I get things going... might as well spray it all at once.
Appreciate 1
Igor_M52127.50
      06-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #47
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

I agree. The m sport rear bumper looks pretty nice imo. Plus it would be cheaper to not have to do the quarter panels. The side skirts will need some adjusting to fit since the front will be wider.
      06-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #48
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys!

I've grafted some bumpers in my life, and I could confidently say that it'll be cheaper to buy a brand new OEM M-Sport bumper than to make one from an E90 variant lol.

My goal is to keep this build as OEM as possible, down to the wires.

However, when my time comes for an an E91 M3 build, I'll demonstrate my grafting skills once again.

Heres my F10 M5 w/ a F8x combo, and a E89 Z4 w a F8x diffuser I did in the past.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #49
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys!

I've grafted some bumpers in my life, and I could confidently say that it'll be cheaper to buy a brand new OEM M-Sport bumper than to make one from an E90 variant lol.

My goal is to keep this build as OEM as possible, down to the wires.

However, when my time comes for an an E91 M3 build, I'll demonstrate my grafting skills once again.

Heres my F10 M5 w/ a F8x combo, and a E89 Z4 w a F8x diffuser I did in the past.
Holy shit dude that is some fantastic work, huge props!!
Appreciate 1
Igor_M52127.50
      06-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #50
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Subbed
Appreciate 1
Igor_M52127.50
      06-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #51
RealJ22
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 CT200h Cayman Boxster RC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Great work! Love the effort!
Appreciate 1
Igor_M52127.50
      06-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #52
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Quote:
Thanks guys!

If you have rear PDC (or want to retrofit), there is an aftermarket rear cover available, made out of Polypropylene just like OEM.
I bought and installed few of them on my E91 builds including couple DCT cars. They fit well, and are about half the price of OEM.
Check Rockauto.com for part 51128041140 or your local supplier. Non PDC covers are scarce.
There also little over $100 to spend on OEM brackets and lower side filler pieces, on top of the diffuser.
Rear Msport E91 conversion is a unfortunately pricey, but oh so worth it
Appreciate 2
Igor_M52127.50
      06-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #53
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys!

If you have rear PDC (or want to retrofit), there is an aftermarket rear cover available, made out of Polypropylene just like OEM.
I bought and installed few of them on my E91 builds including couple DCT cars. They fit well, and are about half the price of OEM.
Check Rockauto.com for part 51128041140 or your local supplier. Non PDC covers are scarce.
There also little over $100 to spend on OEM brackets and lower side filler pieces, on top of the diffuser.

Any details on your E91 builds? Built to sell?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #54
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting... So as I can see it, they have 2 different rear bumpers for the e91 both are w/sport package (I take it this means it is a m-tech rep?) one with PDC and without.

at less than 300 I'm almost tempted to get it just to see. Its too bad they don't have pictures.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #55
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I'll take that free tan interior

The build is coming together!
      06-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #56
charlieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Manual

Cool build!

How long will the seats be available. Coming to NYC soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #57
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting... So as I can see it, they have 2 different rear bumpers for the e91 both are w/sport package (I take it this means it is a m-tech rep?) one with PDC and without.

at less than 300 I'm almost tempted to get it just to see. Its too bad they don't have pictures.
Bleh, that's OEM price territory
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #58
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
Cool build!

How long will the seats be available. Coming to NYC soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valant View Post
I'll take that free tan interior

The build is coming together!
I'll have it for about a month or so, rear seat backs will be upholstery only.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #59
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wtf, the shipping is as much as the bumper? That's just stupid...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 02:33 AM   #60
Bimmerristi
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 335i N54

Wow this is so cool build!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #61
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Quote:

Any details on your E91 builds? Built to sell?
I've done 6 n54 swaps in total. All except the current 6mt xdrive one were sold. About to start another one as well.
PM me if you'd like, don't want to clutter up your thread. But you could say we have more N54 wagons in MI than the anemic N52 ones
Funny story about your donor though... I was the highest bidder on it when it went thru the auction block first time, as I needed a DCT donor for an E86 Z4 swap. It just didn't met reserve.

Quote:

The PDC cover is legit, can't say the same about non PDC as I have no experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5
Hmm, not sure why you're getting such a crazy shipping price ? Also, you should be tax exempt no ?
Here's my order with them few months ago, it's best to buy two or more at a time.
Also, check with your local auto body parts suppliers using the partslink numbers
Attached Images

Last edited by mad1stgen; 06-04-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #62
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, not sure why you're getting such a crazy shipping price ? Also, you should be tax exempt no ?
Here's my order with them few months ago, it's best to buy two or more at a time.
Also, check with your local auto body parts suppliers using the partslink numbers
I just tried again, to see and of course Rock Auto wont even ship the bumpers to Komifornia...

"Part # BM1100195 cannot ship to California because we do not have documentation required by Proposition 65 from VARIOUS MFR. Please choose a different brand."

I seriously hate CA...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #63
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Long over due update.

Tore down the outside of the motor for some cleaning, walnut blasting, and a bunch of new stuff including a new (OEM) valve cover.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #64
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Looks much better!
      07-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #65
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Made some huge progress last weekend. Everything is in, will need to go over all the misc brackets and finish the cooling, then onto the wiring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #66
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NYBulldog1309.00