E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Teaser!!!!

08-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #45
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
yea, I would be much more inclined to buy if these looked just like stock..anyone know how hard the diy install would be?
Usually you have to have a special pulley tool or they provide one. Personally I'd just go get it done somewhere and avoid the hassle.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

impressive, I like the added power up top
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #47
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

What's the downside? Obviously there is something, otherwise OEM would have been like these.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #48
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

the disadvantage is the mass of the OEM pulley is typically matched to rotational mass of the stock clutch and flywheel assembly on the other side of the crank shaft. This imbalance can make the engine noisier or idle rougher. It honestly will probably not be very noticeable if at all though. like OP said, this engine doesnt have a harmonic dampener like you typically see on inline 4 cylinders because inline 6 are more naturally balanced.

BMW would rather cast a steel or iron pulley than CNC machine an aluminum pulley for cost reasons which is why you typically dont see parts like this on a production car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #49
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hmm, sounds a bit too good to be true, no?

Let's say the drivetrain losses are 16%. Should be close to the real number. On a 400 bhp car only 345 arrive at the wheels. And from this 55 bhp loss you can gain back more than 10 by just changing a pulley?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #50
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Hmm, sounds a bit too good to be true, no?

Let's say the drivetrain losses are 16%. Should be close to the real number. On a 400 bhp car only 345 arrive at the wheels. And from this 55 bhp loss you can gain back more than 10 by just changing a pulley?
didnt you see the dyno sheet? pretty clear that gains were achieved. wait for some private dynoes if you think they are scamming .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #51
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
didnt you see the dyno sheet? pretty clear that gains were achieved. wait for some private dynoes if you think they are scamming .
Didn't say they were scamming. But just sounds a bit too "easy" for me. I'd imagine that BMW would have implemented this right from the factory, unless the engine gets too unbalanced.

But it sure sounds like a very interesting mod.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #52
FoShizzle
aka Mike
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335is

Just came across this thread. Great stuff!
I was wondering when we'd see these for our cars. I had something like this on my Mercedes a few years back. Besides the hp increase the engine was noticeably quicker to rev because of the reduced rotating mass. With a manual tranny, it was much smoother in up and downshifting as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #53
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Didn't say they were scamming. But just sounds a bit too "easy" for me. I'd imagine that BMW would have implemented this right from the factory, unless the engine gets too unbalanced.

But it sure sounds like a very interesting mod.
Its not always the case. Our cars should come with more boost and a free-er flowing intake. But they dont. Thats why theres bolt on performance parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJabb View Post
Just came across this thread. Great stuff!
I was wondering when we'd see these for our cars. I had something like this on my Mercedes a few years back. Besides the hp increase the engine was noticeably quicker to rev because of the reduced rotating mass. With a manual tranny, it was much smoother in up and downshifting as well.
Thats exactly what my favorite part about it is. The price for the quicker revs and the smoothness is worth the mod in itself. The power gain is just gravy on top for me.
      08-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #54
ernster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: (E90) 335XI

will this void your warrnty? can they bust your chops for this like if you had downpipes?
or is this like an intake type mod were it is overlooked everywhere
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #55
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster View Post
will this void your warrnty? can they bust your chops for this like if you had downpipes?
or is this like an intake type mod were it is overlooked everywhere

i dunno the answer to that. if i had to guess i would say it depends on the SA and which stealership you go to. Anyone else have an idea??
      08-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #56
FoShizzle
aka Mike
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
i dunno the answer to that. if i had to guess i would say it depends on the SA and which stealership you go to. Anyone else have an idea??
You got it. A cool service advisor can look the other way. That's assuming anybody even notices. I had a set of pulleys from evosport for years on my Benz and my dealer never noticed cuz they were stock color.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #57
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

When are we getting pricing on these?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #58
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
First of all, I think this is a great product.

As for the doubters, The potential to gain 10rwhp is definately there. I think there may be some variance in the dynos due to different variables but I think the bottom line has been proven. The product is producing numbers.

Secondly, there ARE downsides to buying this part. If you are worried about your warranty, and you tend to take all your parts off before service, this is probably not something you would want simply because you can't just slip it on and off. This is actually not a product that a lot of people will install themselves because it probably requires losening up motor mounts, taking off a few belts, a special pulley puller etc. You'll also probably have to toss this pulley into an oven for 30 minutes so the aluminum will expand far enough to actually slip over the crank and once you got it on a little bit its a huge pain in the ass to get tightened down without the proper tools.

However, if you have the proper tools and the experience with the crankshaft area this could be a breeze to install and shops would likely have no problems putting this on professionally whatsoever. Just don't think ur gonna take it off for every oil change service.

The good thing is since there is less rotating mass, there is less weight to 'get up to speed' therefore its like buying a lightweight flywheel in a way. It doesn't add to the power of your engine directly, it is just restricting the engine less therefore opening it up a little more.

Question for the OP: Has NST considered a UDP? Maybe a conservative underdrive? What would the numbers look like with say a 15% underdrive? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #59
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Nice mod!
      08-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #60
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Hopefully they offer this in Anodised Black and not just Red as it stands out like dogs balls.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #61
FoShizzle
aka Mike
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
First of all, I think this is a great product.

Secondly, there ARE downsides to buying this part. If you are worried about your warranty, and you tend to take all your parts off before service, this is probably not something you would want simply because you can't just slip it on and off. This is actually not a product that a lot of people will install themselves because it probably requires losening up motor mounts, taking off a few belts, a special pulley puller etc. You'll also probably have to toss this pulley into an oven for 30 minutes so the aluminum will expand far enough to actually slip over the crank and once you got it on a little bit its a huge pain in the ass to get tightened down without the proper tools.

However, if you have the proper tools and the experience with the crankshaft area this could be a breeze to install and shops would likely have no problems putting this on professionally whatsoever. Just don't think ur gonna take it off for every oil change service.
I think you are incorrect actually. And for sure there will be no need to loosen motor mounts - this is not a mini cooper pulley. Based on the pictures, with decent DIY this could end up being a one hour job. A pulley puller is cheap and most of us will have the other tools already.

Edit: On second look at the pictures it appears that this is not a pressed-on pulley at all. It is secured by the 6 torx screws (torqued appropriately of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Hopefully they offer this in Anodised Black and not just Red as it stands out like dogs balls.
I'm kinda diggin' it actually.
Everybody knows red is faster anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #62
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

You are right..I called a local shop and they quoted me 1 hour to install

Quote:
I think you are incorrect actually. And for sure there will be no need to loosen motor mounts - this is not a mini cooper pulley. Based on the pictures, with decent DIY this could end up being a one hour job. A pulley puller is cheap and most of us will have the other tools already.

Edit: On second look at the pictures it appears that this is not a pressed-on pulley at all. It is secured by the 6 torx screws (torqued appropriately of course).

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #63
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Two words - group buy.
      08-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #64
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post

Question for the OP: Has NST considered a UDP? Maybe a conservative underdrive? What would the numbers look like with say a 15% underdrive? Thanks.
We tried to go even more conservative than that and do a 10% UDP but it didnt fit. In order to make it happen we would need to shave it down alot and that would weaken the pulley and the last thing you need is a weak pulley on a 500hp $50k car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
They're gonna be sold in 2 colors. Anodized red and black.

Quote:

I wish i would have took more time to watch the mechanic but it was hotter than balls in that garage especially with the humidity and the A/C and my Sweet tea waiting for me in the waiting area were alot more appealing but i can tell u once they pulled the car in the bay to remove the stock pulley it all took about an hour for them. So im guessin for a DIYer maybe 2-3?

Any other questions other than price keepem comin im happy to TRY to answer them the best i can.
      08-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #65
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
My crank pulley experience is limited to only a few applications so its very possible with the n54 that there is enough room for the procedure. Hopefully
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #66
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Is it possible that a lighter pulley may induce engine vibrations and distorted harmonics throughout engine components and cause long term severe engine damage ??
Steve Dinan thinks so:http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm
Appreciate 0