E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Control...

11-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #67
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Moogie... If you have your Procede hooked up, would you want to run a pass with settings set to a more conservative setting? Just seeing if these spikes are related to the higher boost v2 is running or if it has more to do with boost solenoid control. Wish Shiv would just chime in.
      11-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #68
per
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Perhaps a silly question, but what will happen to the motor if we have boost spikes for 1 sec or 2, will the motor blow off and go into orbit or what will happen?
      11-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #69
Moggie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
Moogie... If you have your Procede hooked up, would you want to run a pass with settings set to a more conservative setting? Just seeing if these spikes are related to the higher boost v2 is running or if it has more to do with boost solenoid control. Wish Shiv would just chime in.
If I can sort out an alternative laptop I'll go for a drive tonight and log data with some different settings. I'm also curious as to whether the external boost gauge and the data log match. I fitted the boost gauge as a precaution prior to installing v2 and ran it for one day without the proceed. The max boost I saw in this time was 8.6 so I'm confident it is reasonably accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #70
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

I appreciate your efforts. What boost gauge setup did you get? How has your dealership responded to you having a boost gauge?
      11-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #71
Moggie
Private
Rep

It's this one..
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=131
because it's small and easily mounted out of site and accomplishes what I need.
Dealership response, hmmm, don't know just... probably better than if I turned up with a blown engine because I didn't know what I was doing to my poor little turbos ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #72
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

I agree. I've finally learned this fact. Unfortunately, it's not discussed as a necessity. I've looked at the DIYs on this forum. Where did you tap your's? How did you run it? How much time did this take you? Thanks for all the help. I hope to follow the lead of you and others like you so I can contribute to the forum also.
      11-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #73
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Still not feeling warm and fuzzy... Scalbert, can you reset you settings to 70% and see what the boost does? I have my Procede uninstalled to get service done. I was planning on getting Eugen's wireless connection to monitor things, but a little worried Eugen may be having second thoughts.
See, I always supported Vishnu, did quite some testing and paid exactly the same amount of money as everybody for the V2 solution in total. In addition I paid for reading and clearing error codes stored in the ECU. I communicated them open and quickly to Vishnu.

I like the functionality of the V2 and expected at least a problem-free product. Rolled out conservative, first priority quality, second priority performance.

I am a BMW customer since many years. I am used to get what I pay for and money is not my first priority when I buy something.

Shiv seems to don't get this. He is happy producing power / torque records and satisfied with a 95% finished product. I am not. I still hope he will improve professionality and business behavior. If not, new companies/products are on the horizon which will be alternatives to the V2 and providing what I really want as well as treating their customers better. "You can cancel your order" is not the business behavior I am used and looking for.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #74
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
See, I always supported Vishnu, did quite some testing and paid exactly the same amount of money as you ( $1.500 ) for V2 solution in total. In addition I paid for reading and clearing error codes stored in the ECU. I communicated them open and quickly to Vishnu.

I expected at least a problem-free product. Rolled out conservative, first priority quality, second priority performance.

I am a BMW customer since many years. I am used to get what I pay for and money is not my first priority when I buy something.

Shiv seems to don't get this. He is happy producing power / torque records and satisfied with a 95% finished product. I am not. I still hope he will improve professionality and business behavior. If not, new companies/products are on the horizon which will be alternatives to the V2 and providing what I really want as well as treating customers better. "You can cancel your order" is not the business behavior I am looking for.

- Eugen
I agree wholeheartedly. I want an interceptor that gives us a very reliable, and somewhat conservative amount of power without any risk of overboosting or detonation. Maybe we expect too much. I haven't been willing to put on a FMIC and exhaust because I lease. These two mods would no doubt be safer and more reliable, but wouldn't increase performance like the Procede does. I'm hoping Shiv gets this figured out, and gives us some dyno numbers at different settings for Procede V2. I'm not ready to give up yet. If by the spring we haven't got this figured out, then there are other options (go back to v1.47, Helix, stock...).
      11-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #75
Moggie
Private
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I've finally learned this fact. Unfortunately, it's not discussed as a necessity. I've looked at the DIYs on this forum. Where did you tap your's? How did you run it? How much time did this take you? Thanks for all the help. I hope to follow the lead of you and others like you so I can contribute to the forum also.
I don't want to divert this thread. There are plenty of DIY posts on how to install with pics, but FYI I added a 3/16" tee into the vacuum tube near the Y-split (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=55 for how to accomplish the same thing with a 4-way adapter). Ran 3/16" tube to the firewall where I mounted the sensor in a convenient unused clip. The electrical cable follows the pipe across the back of the firewall with the quick connect plug wedged behind the ECU box. The cable then continues into the ECU box through the left side wire bundle and through the hole into the cabin just below the glove box. Voila! The gauge can be mounted anywhere. Mine is in the ashtray (required removal of the center console top trim). Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #76
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. I want an interceptor that gives us a very reliable, and somewhat conservative amount of power without any risk of overboosting or detonation. Maybe we expect too much. I haven't been willing to put on a FMIC and exhaust because I lease. These two mods would no doubt be safer and more reliable, but wouldn't increase performance like the Procede does. I'm hoping Shiv gets this figured out, and gives us some dyno numbers at different settings for Procede V2. I'm not ready to give up yet. If by the spring we haven't got this figured out, then there are other options (go back to v1.47, Helix, stock...).
I did not say I am giving up, I will wait some time as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #77
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
I don't want to divert this thread. There are plenty of DIY posts on how to install with pics, but FYI I added a 3/16" tee into the vacuum tube near the Y-split (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=55 for how to accomplish the same thing with a 4-way adapter). Ran 3/16" tube to the firewall where I mounted the sensor in a convenient unused clip. The electrical cable follows the pipe across the back of the firewall with the quick connect plug wedged behind the ECU box. The cable then continues into the ECU box through the left side wire bundle and through the hole into the cabin just below the glove box. Voila! The gauge can be mounted anywhere. Mine is in the ashtray (required removal of the center console top trim). Hope that helps.
Thanks. Back on topic. Awaiting boost measurements, and any comments from others.
      11-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #78
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
See, I always supported Vishnu, did quite some testing and paid exactly the same amount of money as everybody for the V2 solution in total. In addition I paid for reading and clearing error codes stored in the ECU. I communicated them open and quickly to Vishnu.

I like the functionality of the V2 and expected at least a problem-free product. Rolled out conservative, first priority quality, second priority performance.

Shiv seems to don't get this. He is happy producing power / torque records and satisfied with a 95% finished product. I am not. I still hope he will improve professionality and business behavior. If not, new companies/products are on the horizon which will be alternatives to the V2 and providing what I really want as well as treating their customers better. "You can cancel your order" is not the business behavior I am used and looking for.

- Eugen

I am sure you're going to hear from Vishnu as soon as the holiday is over. There hasn't been a post from anyone at Vishnu since Wednesday afternoon. I can appreciate this - I haven't checked my email at work since Wednesday either.

In any case, there are a few people here who they (Vishnu) respect for their technical expertise and ability to troubleshoot...you're one of them. The rest of us watch and benefit from your experimentation. I am sure they're going to address your concerns.
      11-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #79
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
I am curious if you have used the datalogging feature to capture boost numbers and compare them with what you're seeing on your external gauge.
The data I am capturing from yesterday's initial run with V2 installed shows a maximum of 15.0psi.

In the three comparisons I made when I was able to induce a spike and had the logging hooked up, the TMAP only showed 15.4 PSI spike in the PROcede. However, other than this discrepancy, they always read spot on. So no, the PROcede did not see this spike.

Now why wouldn't it see it could be for multiple reasons. First is that the boost gauges source is in the intake manifold whereas the PROcede uses the TMAP which is in the intake tract prior to the throttle body. There could be a reversion issue in the intake manifold which is only momentarily seen in the manifold.

Or, it could be the range on the TMAP won't allow it see any higher. But I seem to recall something about this being a 1.5 Bar Gage sensor. So it should be good up to about 21.5 - 22.0 PSI. This needs to be confirmed though and I guess I could test this if no one knows the answer.

Lasstly, and not likely, the PROcede is not quick enough with it's A/D to see the spike. Doubtfull though...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #80
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
About 100 I believe.
That's only an hour and a half away.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #81
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
BTW, why does it seem like you guys the only ones concerned/talking about this? Is everyone else just lurking? There are a hundred or so people with V2s, and several hundred more with other piggybacks. Some of them must have boost gauges, even if they don't have datalogging capability.

Seems strange that there isn't more widespread concern or at least interest in this topic.

I suspect that fewer than 10% have boost gauges permanently installed. And of those, how many monitored and tried to induce this type of thing. Remember, this only occurs under a very specific condition and RPM range and not in the two lowest gears. I thought everything was fine as my intial tests with V2 worked as expected. It wasn't until I was playing around and specifically monitoring values that I noticed the spikes.

The lack of interest may be due to the thread title.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #82
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Still not feeling warm and fuzzy... Scalbert, can you reset you settings to 70% and see what the boost does? I have my Procede uninstalled to get service done. I was planning on getting Eugen's wireless connection to monitor things, but a little worried Eugen may be having second thoughts.
I have a version of 2.0.2 and the default values were too much. So they are dropped by about 10% across the board. What occurs is the the spike is still present, just lower as well as all other range.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #83
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting... so what would be achieved by adjusting the wastegate screw you cited? Would it cause the vacuum to bleed of quicker or is it just the mechanical linkage that actually opens the gate?
Quicker response of the wastegate would be the desired effect. But it could sacrifice the build rate though which might be better than the alternate.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #84
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by per View Post
Perhaps a silly question, but what will happen to the motor if we have boost spikes for 1 sec or 2, will the motor blow off and go into orbit or what will happen?
These spike durations are less than this and do not normally occur. In fact, if I ease into the throttle instead of jabbing it, there is no spike. Or, if I floor it from about 2000 - 2500 RPM or above 4000 RPM, the spike does not occur. Nor does it always occur in the right range. As for damage, not if the fuel is there and it should be.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #85
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Shiv seems to don't get this. He is happy producing power / torque records and satisfied with a 95% finished product. I am not. I still hope he will improve professionality and business behavior. If not, new companies/products are on the horizon which will be alternatives to the V2 and providing what I really want as well as treating their customers better.
IMO, this is the nature of early development with a small aftermarket. All code gets better over time. Plus, they never saw this on the beta cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #86
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
IMO, this is the nature of early development with a small aftermarket. All code gets better over time. Plus, they never saw this on the beta cars.
Yeah, if they would work on the code it would get better ...

A couple of days ago Shiv asked on the forum why he should release v2.0.2 soon because v2.0.1 is perfect. Do you remember ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #87
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, if they would work on the code it would get better ...

A couple of days ago Shiv asked on the forum why he should release v2.0.2 soon because v2.0.1 is perfect. Do you remember ?
Naw, must have missed that. I beleive the problem for them is that they haven't personally seen this. We now have two (maybe more if tested properly) that have seen it. That is presumably less than 2% of installed V2 orders so it may take a little time. But I would suggest all install and test with a boost gauge.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #88
e.n335
Austria
Rep

^ 11-19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Why? There's nothing wrong with v2.0.1. Just a little overly conservative. Still considerably stronger than v1.
This has been the response to a customer who said he will wait with the V2 install until v2.0.2 will be reseased.

I want a solution now.

V2 has been announced as a version without boost related limp modes ( true ) and no boost spikes at all ( not true ). The overboost function should be optional. The speed limit defeat and O2 wideband support should be functional, as promised. Everything bullet-proof. If such a tune REQUIRES a city milage of 12mpg, I am ok with that. Otherwise here is some potential as well.

BTW, if the 2 big V2 harness resistors would have a tolerance of 5% or 10% it might be worth to have a look at resistors with a tolerance of 1%.

You know by yourself how it looks like as of today.

- Eugen

Last edited by e.n335; 11-24-2007 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0