E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DIY Bummer Chip

06-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
wheresmaldo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Unhappy DIY Bummer Chip

Hello My Friends!

What are your thoughts on this damage? Dude bumped me leaving his spot yesterday, not terrible; no dents, but obviously noticeable. I have the correct paint and clear coat for touch ups, but want to know if any of you have experience with a DIY fix similar to this one. I'd like to avoid taking it in the have it painted, but I understand if that's what needs to happen. Let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

It's all going to boil down to personal preference bud.

I would suggest trying to get away with just using the touch up paint first, but knowing how I am personally, I know it wouldn't be perfect and I wouldn't be happy with how it would turn out. I had a similar situation with my bumper a few months back, but I ended up getting it repainted entirely.

It's just gonna be a matter if you can deal with knowing that imperfection is there or not

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Touch-up will only look ok from a distance.
Will need a re-spray to look good.

No harm trying though, you'll only lose a few dollars worth of paint and some time. If you get it re-painted they'll sand it down anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

The paint has cracked. It's just going to crack and peel if you don't sand it down.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Respray
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
wheresmaldo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
It's all going to boil down to personal preference bud.

I would suggest trying to get away with just using the touch up paint first, but knowing how I am personally, I know it wouldn't be perfect and I wouldn't be happy with how it would turn out. I had a similar situation with my bumper a few months back, but I ended up getting it repainted entirely.

It's just gonna be a matter if you can deal with knowing that imperfection is there or not

How much did the re-paint run you? I know location has an effect on cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmaldo View Post
Dude bumped me leaving his spot yesterday, not terrible
Did you get Dude's number and registration info?

If I recall, the quote I had for a bumper respray was on the order of $200-400 with everything. Most people would say upgrade to M Sport at this point, because you're already paying for paint.

If you DIY there is a post on this forum where a guy did his running board skirt (plastic) so this should be on a similar scale.

I'm in the process of doing aerosol spray can touch up work. The color match "is what it is" if you go this route. However, the match by a body shop on my trunk lid wasn't great either.

It's your car, it's about what you're willing to accept

Take it by a shop, they can make a quote in a few minutes. They probably won't opt for a spot repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Rear Bumper Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmaldo View Post
...Dude bumped me leaving his spot yesterday, not terrible
Not to get you upset, BUT: Define Terrible -- does the front bumper look the same way??

I'm no bumper cover repair expert, and I won't play one on this forum, but if it were MY car, I'd take it to a bodyshop that specializes in E90's and get an expert opinion on whether or not the bumper is structurally damaged to the extent that even with a respray, the cracks will recur.

The photo appears to show the center of contact beneath the left edge of trunk lid, which is where the left support is for the Rear Carrier, the metal beam behind the plastic bumper. That plastic did a LOT of DEFORMING to crack the paint in as many places as are shown. I would NOT be at all surprised if the bodyshop recommended removing the bumper cover (plastic) and inspecting on the inside for structural damage.

If it were MY car, and I like to piddle/DIY, I would remove the bumper cover and drive it to a shop for them to inspect it without having to charge you for labor to take it apart. No sense in just guessing what's going on underneath.

BTW, don't know what your insurance laws are in CO, but if you have uninsured motorist coverage, and "the Dud(e)" left NO ID, you have an unknown/uninsured motorist claim, but need to report it immediately to your insurer. Reporting a loss can't affect your rates, but actually filing a claim may, depending upon your coverages, etc. Comprehensive may also apply (assuming you were NOT operating the vehicle at the time). Both have a deductible.

See your policy Declaration Page, and coverage terms for any such coverage.

George
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
wheresmaldo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Not to get you upset, BUT: Define Terrible -- does the front bumper look the same way??

I'm no bumper cover repair expert, and I won't play one on this forum, but if it were MY car, I'd take it to a bodyshop that specializes in E90's and get an expert opinion on whether or not the bumper is structurally damaged to the extent that even with a respray, the cracks will recur.

The photo appears to show the center of contact beneath the left edge of trunk lid, which is where the left support is for the Rear Carrier, the metal beam behind the plastic bumper. That plastic did a LOT of DEFORMING to crack the paint in as many places as are shown. I would NOT be at all surprised if the bodyshop recommended removing the bumper cover (plastic) and inspecting on the inside for structural damage.

If it were MY car, and I like to piddle/DIY, I would remove the bumper cover and drive it to a shop for them to inspect it without having to charge you for labor to take it apart. No sense in just guessing what's going on underneath.

BTW, don't know what your insurance laws are in CO, but if you have uninsured motorist coverage, and "the Dud(e)" left NO ID, you have an unknown/uninsured motorist claim, but need to report it immediately to your insurer. Reporting a loss can't affect your rates, but actually filing a claim may, depending upon your coverages, etc. Comprehensive may also apply (assuming you were NOT operating the vehicle at the time). Both have a deductible.

See your policy Declaration Page, and coverage terms for any such coverage.

George
Thanks for the reply, man. I'm doing exactly that....the bumper gave in enough to where the plastic is super soft around the impact point, but enough integrity to where I don't BELIEVE I need a new bumper, but you never know.

I filed a claim, and the deductible is much higher than what a repaint would cost. The touch up for now isn't terrible, but you're right...not terrible isn't good enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
RVA_MR2
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i, 91 MR2 Turbo

Head to a dealership and find out what vendor they use for paint work if you don't already have one. They'll be able to sand the area down to primer, respray, reclear, and blend it. Shouldn't cost more than $75-150.
      06-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
RVA_MR2
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i, 91 MR2 Turbo

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  398.2 KB

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  557.6 KB

Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  348.8 KB
      06-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Yep, IS I just got had a slight scratch on bumper cover and a physical dent in deck lid at the crease. They managed to get it out..

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
KK4MEI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X3

I'm about to do mine in an hour after the hood cools down I'm using Dr. colorchip products but yours is a lot worse than mine I would sand down and respray that damage.
Appreciate 0