E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > idrive questions/problems with ipod

09-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
slo_335-e90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

idrive questions/problems with ipod

Hey guys. Over the weekend I picked up my 335 () and one of the things I was really looking forward to was that it had the ipod integration. Well, what became an excitement has now become an annoyance. I have an ipod touch, 64 gb 3rd generation running 4.1. Whenever i try to go to my artists, nothing loads except "all." Also, when the rare occasion occurs that it does load my artists, it'll say I have no songs by them. The only way i can find stuff is by scrolling through 8000 songs.....or through genres which is awful as well. Now, I work at an audi dealer and their cars do the same thing, so I'm starting to think its a software problem, but I've restored many times and it.doesn't help. Does anyone know why this is happening? Also, is there a quicker way to scroll through artists? Trying to get to my bottom artists takes forever.... Thanks!
      09-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
mtnova
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

I had the same erratic iPod / I-Drive behavior with my 2nd gen iPod touch w/ 4.0 and 4.1. Before I upgraded to 4.0, my 2nd gen iPod touch was working fine. The thing that makes no sense is the MFi (Made for iPod) music playback protocol between 3.x and 4.x should be the same. It looks like its an Apple regression bug and affects just the earlier generation hardware.

After upgrading my 2g touch to 4.0 and 4.1 the interface was nearly unusable so I used USB flash instead. I tested the interface with my friend's iPhone 4 and it seems to work just fine albiet an error message which you can disregard. Anyway on Friday I picked up an iPod Touch 4g. It's working fine, and no problems with the interface on the current iPod hardware and software.

In your situation you may want to try to downgrade to 3.x but it will require more trouble than its worth, or sell the 3g on eBay and upgrade to a 4g device. I've got 3558 songs loaded with no trouble on the 4g. I don't think BMW will be able to help us much on this since the issue seems to be confined to the combination of 4.x and 2g/3g iPods, but I hope their engineers are working directly with the Apple MFi team. BMW was the first auto maker w/ oem iPod integration and they had an announcement today on future iPad integration.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
mtnova
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

oh- and congrats on your 335 too
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
slo_335-e90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

funny how i had pre ordered one and then cancelled it...maybe i'll go pick one up since i planned on it anyways. Thanks!