E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wheel nut covers

04-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #23
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I may do the same Ess, got some new bolts and locks from CM Wherls, nice shiny and chrome. After 6 months they look horrible! I just can't bring myself to get new bolts again, worried they'll just go rusty again.
I wonder why they end up looking so bad - is it the finish which deteriorates when exposed to the elements or is it just a very heavy accumulation of grime which isn't easy to clean off?

My old car had shiny chromed plastic bolt covers and they looked immaculate.

Sorry mate i meant they gone milky/grey.

When i take them out the inner ends of the bolts are sparkling chrome like new.

I guess its either cap covers or some sort of sealant.

Might just remove my locking wheel nuts, i mean who steals wheels these days?

Or a lug conversion kit? Not sure if thats what you call them
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #24
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

The bolts are probably bright zinc plated.

The zinc acts as a sacraficial anode to protect the steel from rusting, but in the process it oxidises and turns grey. If left long enough it will "wear out" and the steel itself will begin to rust, this can happen sooner than you might wish if the bolts are a bit cheap and dont have a good coating on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #25
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
The bolts are probably bright zinc plated.

The zinc acts as a sacraficial anode to protect the steel from rusting, but in the process it oxidises and turns grey. If left long enough it will "wear out" and the steel itself will begin to rust, this can happen sooner than you might wish if the bolts are a bit cheap and dont have a good coating on them.
I'll pretend i understood that.

So any recommendations on good extended bolts that dont go milky?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #26
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I dont think you'll find any.

The bolts need to be made from high tensile steel. This rusts, so they coat it with zinc to stop it rusting as readily (or use other surface treatments that will result in a dark colored bolt like the factory ones).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plating#Zinc_plating
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:

Or a lug conversion kit? Not sure if thats what you call them
Yes, I'd be interested to learn more about this too. I know Josh has them on his car, I think Shaun/Sam may also have them? gaza01 AWBimmer
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #28
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

http://europeanautosource.com/ seen a good few cars on their site with various wheel nuts including titanium though christ,they are pricy
      04-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #29
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Yes, I'd be interested to learn more about this too. I know Josh has them on his car, I think Shaun/Sam may also have them? gaza01 AWBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
http://europeanautosource.com/ seen a good few cars on their site with various wheel nuts including titanium though christ,they are pricy
I'm considering this. I think they are called stud conversion kits, not lug! I also remember Sam or Shaun having these.

They are expensive though. At turnermotorsports it is around £200 delivered plus customs for 20 studs and 20 nuts. But £100 of that is bloody shipping

What would happen to the locking wheel key, would there not be one? As if you had 4 studs and one locking bolt that would look weird.

All i want is some shiny bolts that stay shiny
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #30
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh my word, I see what you mean for the titanium ones Steve, that's ridiculous! I can't imagine they sell many...

Quote:
I'm considering this. I think they are called stud conversion kits, not lug! I also remember Sam or Shaun having these.

They are expensive though. At turnermotorsports it is around £200 delivered plus customs for 20 studs and 20 nuts. But £100 of that is bloody shipping

What would happen to the locking wheel key, would there not be one? As if you had 4 studs and one locking bolt that would look weird.

You're right, that is quite pricey. It looks like you can get locking nuts, take a look at these (don't mind the price...):
http://europeanautosource.com/bbs-li...g-nut-set.html

To be honest, I'm not convinced about locking wheel nuts. Someone I know had all four of his M3's wheels stolen while the car was on his drive. It had locking wheel nuts and it didn't seem to be a problem for the thieves...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #31
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:

The americans are way ahead of us on this stuff but as you say Mo the big thing we've all got to consider bringing anything in from overseas are those wonderful invoices that land on the door mat from FedEX and alike demanding more money plus of course the shipping as well.
      04-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #32
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're right, that is quite pricey. It looks like you can get locking nuts, take a look at these (don't mind the price...):
http://europeanautosource.com/bbs-li...g-nut-set.html

To be honest, I'm not convinced about locking wheel nuts. Someone I know had all four of his M3's wheels stolen while the car was on his drive. It had locking wheel nuts and it didn't seem to be a problem for the thieves...
Damn thats $450 for just the bloody nuts, i'm sure we'll have to get studs on top of them!

Think that idea is out lol.

Think i'm going to buy some new zinc plated bolts, and then just smear them in wheel sealant and see what happens?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #33
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Think i'm going to buy some new zinc plated bolts, and then just smear them in wheel sealant and see what happens?
That's what I've just done, hopefully they will arrive this week. Hopefully they'll stand the test of time, and if they don't, I'll get rid of the locking nut and just use the plastic covers
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #34
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The americans are way ahead of us on this stuff but as you say Mo the big thing we've all got to consider bringing anything in from overseas are those wonderful invoices that land on the door mat from FedEX and alike demanding more money plus of course the shipping as well.
That's true. I bought some WeissLicht LED indicator bulbs (as the one that Josh supplied blew in about a year's time). Didn't pay any customs and fingers crossed nothing will come in the post!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #35
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's what I've just done, hopefully they will arrive this week. Hopefully they'll stand the test of time, and if they don't, I'll get rid of the locking nut and just use the plastic covers
Same here!
Appreciate 0