E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N54 Wastegate rattle adjustment South West

08-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
swert
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 e93 335i

N54 Wastegate rattle adjustment South West

Hi all,

My 2007 335i has rattly wastegates. I've been running a JB4 for a while and using the menu 10 wastegate fix to mask it, which has been fine. Recently though I've started getting 30FF codes in 3rd gear and above, and figured seeming as I know the wastegates are bad I'd start by adjusting them and see if the problem goes away.

I've tried getting to the actuator rod from the top down but the steering column is in the way on RHD models (youtube made it look so easy!). I've just spent the morning trying to get to it from underneath but my hands are too big to reach it.
Has anyone in the south west had theirs adjusted? I'm looking for a recommendation on garage that knows what they are doing and who aren't going to overtighten it or something. Or even if someone local (I split my time between Bath and Trowbridge) has done their own and could give mine a try? Cash and beer waiting
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Cerbera9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2007

The menu 10 wastegate fix applies a load to the actuator arm to prevent the rattle but this increases the wear on the wastegate bush to the point that the comes back even worse and this causes the wastegate not to seal correctly causing you to lose boost. This was the same fix that BMW tried with their software update.
The only way to correctly adjust the wastegates is with a vacuum gauge and the downpipes removed to ensure that both wastegate close together and one isn't adjusted more then the other.
Unfortunately once your at the stage of boost codes and rattle fix not working the only real option to remove the turbos and have the wastegates overhauled as this situation will not get better or go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
swert
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 e93 335i

Hmm makes sense. The turbos have covered 65k so right on time for an overhaul. I'll have to find someone to get them off and send them to turbo dynamics, could be an excuse to upgrade them while they're off
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
steertrak335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335I MSPORT TOURING

Have you sorted your tubos yet ? Im in Westbury and have got the wastegate rattle aswell !
Appreciate 0