E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Driveshaft maintenance? Annoying squeak! (And clunk from suspension)

06-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Fb2017
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Hello everyone. I just got done fixing a mystery misfire issue with my 2011 328i. Not even a week later my car has decided to throw two new problems my way. Not sure if they are related or not but I could really use your help!

The clunk is coming from the front driver wheel. (70% sure) it happens when I go over a sharp but not deep bump. The driving characteristics of the car seem unaffected. I checked if the sway end links were loose and they seem pretty solid.

The squeak/squeal I'm getting is during any form of acceleration when the engine is between 2 and 3 thousand rpm. Its very loud and makes everyone stop and stare haha.

It ONLY happens when i give the car a medium to high amount of throttle. If I put the clutch in or take my foot off the gas the sound goes away. If I rev while stationary/not in gear there is no noise either.

Oddly enough it sometimes happens in reverse as well but it doesn't really correlate to the speed/rpm but instead it seems to correlate to the load on the car.

I made a video of my squeak/squeal. It was a challenge driving stick and filming at the same time. I'll eventually get one of the clunk if I can.

Thanks for your help!

I suspect its the driveshaft squeaking and the tie rod ends clunking.

How does one grease or lube up the driveshaft? Easy access?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Fb2017
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I didn't listen to the video (bandwidth issues), but usually a squeak/squeal at engine RPM changes means a pulley bearing is going bad, or the serpentine drive belt is slipping on a pulley, which means the belt tensioner is getting weak. On these cars losing the belt tensioner can be very bad because the belt can get behind the crankshaft pulley/balancer and destroy the front crank seal and get metal bits inside the crankcase. Get the car looked at soon.

The driveshaft has a center bearing that can wear out (not too common unless very high mileage). There is no lubrication maintenance on the driveshaft. The driveshaft is only accessible by removing the exhaust from the cats (manifold) back, then removing the heat/splash shields. All of that requires the car be lifted on a lift or at least jackstands.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
squeak/sequel might be something rubbing against your dust shield/plate by your brakes

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=brake+squel