E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP! Major fuel issues!

07-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
xarlock667
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw e90

HELP! Major fuel issues!

HI, I have a 2006 E90, It is not getting any fuel. I opened the bleeder valve on the rail and nothing came out when I pressed it with a pick. 0 fuel pressure. I then checked all the fuses I could find related to the fuel system. No dice. I replaced the fuel pump relay in the box on the right side of the hood under the cowl, no luck there. Then I pulled the rear seat and listened for the pump while applying the key. Nothing. I manually jumped the pump for a moment, and it fired right up no problem, so it is not the pump. I then checked the voltage for the pump at the terminals and was getting only 0.5v. I then replaced the EKP and it started for just a second, then died again to see if it would actually make me loose my mind. It almost succeeded.

SO! I need help in a bad way! ANY relevant data would be appreciated. Perhaps a wiring diagram of the fuel system?

And one quick note, the sunroof drain failed in a heavy storm and for 2 days drained into the passenger floor board. I cleaned it up with a shop vac and air dried it for 2 days.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
Phyrexia502.50
      07-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
xarlock667
Registered
Rep

Update, I pulled apart my old EKP and lo and behold! A large capacitor had burned itself as well as a bit of the board around it. Not sure how or why? Regardless, I checked the "new" one and it was unburned. Then I checked the power into the EKP expecting it to be too high or something and found... NOTHING. 0 volts? I just checked the EKP fuse (40) in the glove box and it was good. This is insane. WHY does BMW not just do like everyone else in the world and just have a relay, fuse, and voltage control? Why go through all this effort to confuse and wreck the system?
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      07-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
xarlock667
Registered
Rep

OK, I got lucky! I rechecked the power to the PKM and found the supply was dead, so I rechecked all the fuses down the line. Sure enough the #35 in the glove box blew. I replaced it and it started right up. Not sure why it chose to blow after replacing the PKM and not before the old one died, but whatever. I hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      07-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

A lot sure happened today...
I'm glad you sorted the issue and thanks for writing this up for another soul out there who may need it.
Take it easy!
      02-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
stormtrooper7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Can someone post a pic of the fuel relay and location? Been extremely cold here and I think my relay is frozen. Battery is new and charged. Been warming and charging the battery for 36 hours. Just keeps cranking but fails to catch to start.
Appreciate 0