E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cold Start Squeak



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant
Bimmer_Engineer's Avatar
139
Rep
427
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Cold Start Squeak

My N54 is making a squeak about 2-3 times a second on cold starts. It seems to go away when the engine is warmed up. I tried to take a video but you can't hear it over the other engine noises.

It sounds like it's coming from a pulley but I can't tell which one. The serpentine belt is due for a change...so i'd like some insight so I can try and tackle this squeak at the same time...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant
Bimmer_Engineer's Avatar
139
Rep
427
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
bump...

Any insight on which pulleys would be most likely to squeak? Or could it be from something else near the front of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
ManiacGT's Avatar
United Kingdom
49
Rep
1,466
Posts

Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to ManiacGT
Easy to figure. Get some belt spray and try that on the belt first, if it goes away then itís the belt.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2458
Rep
6,315
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Easy to figure. Get some belt spray and try that on the belt first, if it goes away then itís the belt.
...and if it isn't? Not so easy any more since there are many moving parts!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
728
Rep
3,286
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
My N54 is making a squeak about 2-3 times a second on cold starts. It seems to go away when the engine is warmed up. I tried to take a video but you can't hear it over the other engine noises.

It sounds like it's coming from a pulley but I can't tell which one. The serpentine belt is due for a change...so i'd like some insight so I can try and tackle this squeak at the same time...
I think if it's been 60,000 miles or more, especially if it's close to 100,000 miles or more you should replace the two pulleys, tensioner & belt.

FCP & ECS both have belt & pulley kits for under $160.00.

If it still squeaks on cold start up, at least you are starting to narrow it down....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant
Bimmer_Engineer's Avatar
139
Rep
427
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I think if it's been 60,000 miles or more, especially if it's close to 100,000 miles or more you should replace the two pulleys, tensioner & belt.

FCP & ECS both have belt & pulley kits for under $160.00.

If it still squeaks on cold start up, at least you are starting to narrow it down....
Thanks...I was already leaning towards that...

EDIT: FCP has the whole bundle on sale for $121 right now...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
728
Rep
3,286
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I think if it's been 60,000 miles or more, especially if it's close to 100,000 miles or more you should replace the two pulleys, tensioner & belt.

FCP & ECS both have belt & pulley kits for under $160.00.

If it still squeaks on cold start up, at least you are starting to narrow it down....
Thanks...I was already leaning towards that...

EDIT: FCP has the whole bundle on sale for $121 right now...
Yep, plus you get a lifetime warranty. So, in 60,000 miles get a new set on them !
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST