E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changing out spark plugs!

04-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What was the deal with some folks stating rough idle as soon as they put new plugs in....was that due to mods etc., i.e. totally unrelated to a stock N54? Is there an adaptation that needs to be done, I'm doing mine very soon, CBS says 8k left.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoracer View Post
You need a thin wall socket to get the plugs out as well. A normal one will not work. I hand tightened mine, no anti-seize. Took about 1.5 hrs and could've been done faster.

I'm pretty sure adaptions do not need to be reset. I didn't reset mine, and from what I have read it is not necessary. ECU recoginizes plugs and adjusts pretty quickly from what I have read. I didn't have any issues when I replaced mine. I occasionally get a slight misfire at idle. Like a plug or injector going bad...
I'm thinking even if you diy your plugs, and you're under extended warranty, you can take the car in for the rough idling/misfire etc., right? Why not...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

My car also has rough idle. I don't know what causing the issue. Maybe a coil?? Worst scenario, it could be injectors.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #26
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I'm thinking even if you diy your plugs, and you're under extended warranty, you can take the car in for the rough idling/misfire etc., right? Why not...
My car hit the 4 yr time limit @ 30k miles. I did my spark plugs in yr 5 @ 45k miles. Not sure why a tuned car should change plugs earlier then a stock car??? Because over the same mileage u r going to have the same number of spark cycles and each cycle wears the electrode about the same???

I did fbo and occ with my spark plug change... So too many variables in my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
My car hit the 4 yr time limit @ 30k miles. I did my spark plugs in yr 5 @ 45k miles. Not sure why a tuned car should change plugs earlier then a stock car??? Because over the same mileage u r going to have the same number of spark cycles and each cycle wears the electrode about the same???

I did fbo and occ with my spark plug change... So too many variables in my car.
Because the plugs are exposed to a much nastier environment when you're running a tune. Higher combustion chamber temps, higher cylinder pressures.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #28
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Because the plugs are exposed to a much nastier environment when you're running a tune. Higher combustion chamber temps, higher cylinder pressures.
Still seems like a waste of money... Wait to get a misfire code under 45k miles and then troubleshoot by changing the plugs

Kinda like changing the car battery every 5 years just because u don't want to deal with a jump start/push start and random luck in battery life of 6 yrs to 8 yrs life span???
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #29
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Kinda like changing the car battery every 5 years just because u don't want to deal with a jump start/push start and random luck in battery life of 6 yrs to 8 yrs life span???
Can't comment on the plugs, but totally agree on the battery. I did replace mine at 5 yrs. for exactly what you describe, and I kept the old one. Fully charged it, then load tested it, and it passed the load test every time.

Have an aunt with an '06 330i, she is still on her original battery, so that means 7 1/2 yrs.

Even when I replaced my battery at 5 yrs., the SA asked why, is it giving you any problems? I said I just want to replace it, so obviously they obliged. Since it was a $280 job incl. the registration I can live with it, but it was an unnecessary replacement....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #30
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Can't comment on the plugs, but totally agree on the battery. I did replace mine at 5 yrs. for exactly what you describe, and I kept the old one. Fully charged it, then load tested it, and it passed the load test every time.

Have an aunt with an '06 330i, she is still on her original battery, so that means 7 1/2 yrs.

Even when I replaced my battery at 5 yrs., the SA asked why, is it giving you any problems? I said I just want to replace it, so obviously they obliged. Since it was a $280 job incl. the registration I can live with it, but it was an unnecessary replacement....

The way i see it... If its my car as a guy, i'll wait till the battery fails and then replace it. But if its my wife/kid/someone who doesn't know much about cars/etc... Then i would consider anything at age 6 to be a good amount of usage and proactively change it (but keep the old one as a spare for shits and giggles, core charge is what $10??). That comes out to a cost of about $50/year in battery depreciation... I can live with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I dunno. It seems like an enormous PITA to have to get a tow/jump/whatever....not to mention a time waster. So why not do a pre-emptive battery change?
My car is fast approaching 6 years. I may change out my battery when it turns 6.
      04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #32
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Still seems like a waste of money... Wait to get a misfire code under 45k miles and then troubleshoot by changing the plugs

It's money well spent. By the time you start misfiring, you're plugs have most likely been running weak and the combustion has been less than ideal for a couple thousand miles. Changing spark plugs is a simple cheap way to keep your engine running in top form. Don't wait until it starts misfiring. Preventative medicine. And it's much cheaper than changing your battery. I don't change the battery unless it has a problem.
Appreciate 0