E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RB TURBOs: SMOKER vs NON-SMOKER

08-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #67
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Eeeekkkk sorry to hear about your turbo troubles, but 35 psi is pushing the limits and wont be helping imo
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #68
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Eeeekkkk sorry to hear about your turbo troubles, but 35 psi is pushing the limits and wont be helping imo
no, thats the pressure put in it to try and find a boost leak.

No leaks found.

The tune is set to 19psi
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #69
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
no, thats the pressure put in it to try and find a boost leak.

No leaks found.

The tune is set to 19psi
19 psi should be fine
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #70
dmech1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wow pumping that much psi through a flaky plastic rocker cover and pvc system, could have caused other underlying issues during testing.

I would never pump anymore than 28 psi through the factory setup when testing for leaks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #71
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Always got to love the internet, hey let's bump a thread from a saga from many years ago.

The latest report here was a turbo noise that was immediately noticeable upon receipt of vehicle after a professional install. We worked with customer trying to determine if was hearing noise of a leak, was normal, etc. Not something we are familiar with especially on brand new turbos, so not many answers we can provide and all suggestions were nixed as a non-issue due to ruling out per some troubleshooting. Customer had turbos checked out by shop, perfect wheels, shaft play etc. Still noise however, so we were out of suggestions.

Now that it is worsening, upsets are growing, and is time to bump an old witch hunt thread apparently; all the while as we have never had this report we simply can not say what is going on. All reports of issues over this entire year have been thus far have been about 4 or 5 toasted N54 engines, something that is unfortunately an ever growing problem with this platform.

As always we are here to support our products when/if issues shall arise regardless of root cause, and we expect they will once in a blue moon and that could be the case here but until we have more information we are really not able to offer much more in the form of concrete answers.

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-13-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:00 AM   #72
schmick325
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Always got to love the internet, hey let's bump a thread from a saga from many years ago.

The latest report here was a turbo noise that was immediately noticeable upon receipt of vehicle after a professional install. We worked with customer trying to determine if was hearing noise of a leak, was normal, etc. Not something we are familiar with especially on brand new turbos, so not many answers we can provide and all suggestions were nixed as a non-issue due to ruling out per some troubleshooting. Customer had turbos checked out by shop, perfect wheels, shaft play etc. Still noise however, so we were out of suggestions.

Now that it is worsening, upsets are growing, and is time to bump an old witch hunt thread apparently; all the while as we have never had this report we simply can not say what is going on. All reports of issues over this entire year have been thus far have been about 4 or 5 toasted N54 engines, something that is unfortunately an ever growing problem with this platform.

As always we are here to support our products when/if issues shall arise regardless of root cause, and we expect they will once in a blue moon and that could be the case here but until we have more information we are really not able to offer much more in the form of concrete answers.

Rob
Turbo's are coming off to try and find the cause. No one is suggesting its squarely and RB issue. Installation may have been a factor, or who knows, maybe its not even the turbo's.

All tests that can be done without invasive work have been done so this is necessary unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #73
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post

Rob
Turbo's are coming off to try and find the cause. No one is suggesting its squarely and RB issue. Installation may have been a factor, or who knows, maybe its not even the turbo's.

All tests that can be done without invasive work have been done so this is necessary unfortunately.
One thing that seems to come up from time to time is oil return lines. Did you use stock, or upgraded? Check yours for damage during installation.
      08-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #74
schmick325
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
One thing that seems to come up from time to time is oil return lines. Did you use stock, or upgraded? Check yours for damage during installation.
Brand new RB larger drains.

Everything was ordered from RB
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:39 AM   #75
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I just love reading post like this and yes I read through all of them and why this thread was reborn who knows. Everyone has there favorites and will trash talk others just for the sake of arguing. I have read through many of the most on this forum and have read stories of all the vendor turbos having failures at one time or another. I have also read many success stories from most of the vendors on here too. People fail to realize that when we buy bigger and better we tend to push them harder and harder and yes your going to get failure, just like anything else in the world if you push something past its limit something is going to give.

For instance the newest n54 turbo builder Frankenturbo, I have seen these fail on a friends car and another friend not have a problem at all. both pushing the turbos as hard as they can. My personal experience I first bought RB turbos 5 years ago and experienced rattle but they ran flawlessly, when I sent them back to Rob he gave me a great deal on an upgrade to super evo's, that was a little over a year. I just sent them back to him because I blew a front turbo but not once did I blame him because shit happens and we throw a bunch of boost at them and think they will last for ever. Sorry that doesn't happen.

When I blew the turbo I wasn't even getting on it but something went through the blade from the number 2 cylinder. Yeah I can sit and blame him all day and say his shit sucks ass but I won't because I have no complaint on how he handles things and again is rebuilding them for me at a reasonable price. So before you go pointing fingers and passing the blame onto the vendors be sure your shit is cleaned up first.

Sorry for the rant I am just sick of hearing people complain about every little turbo failure without knowing why it failed in the first place. And yes some do fail straight out of the box as I pointed out about my friends car but frankenturbo rectified the situation and sent him another set, great job frankenturbo. Your out of your mind if you think all vendors should just throw new parts without finding the root cause.

Last edited by Makeuwunder; 08-17-2018 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #76
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

You made some good points but why would anyone but frankenturbos if you read the forums?

If you put a few paragraphs in its easier to read mate.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #77
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Well this has farked his 0% failure average...
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #78
101Duck
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

To clear it up. Noone has said the turbos have failed yet.

There is a new noise, that wasn't there pre turbo install, and in my opinion sounds like turbos, obviously i have checked everything without pulling turbos off first, because turbos off is a crap job. but now we are here.

I'm not confident that it is or isn't the turbos. Only one way to find out. Until then speculation is useless.

I received some VTT from a fb group member that smoked after 1500km. Now when i got them, something had clearly gone through the front of the front turbo (something big front wheel completely destroyed) And the rear turbo had something go through the rear wheel bending the shaft slightly and causing the smoking.

That was not a VTT failure at all. Most likely poorly installed and something left in the intake tract or airbox accidentally. but i'm sure everyone wrote off vtt for it lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #79
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Duck View Post
I received some VTT from a fb group member that smoked after 1500km. Now when i got them, something had clearly gone through the front of the front turbo (something big front wheel completely destroyed) And the rear turbo had something go through the rear wheel bending the shaft slightly and causing the smoking.

That was not a VTT failure at all. Most likely poorly installed and something left in the intake tract or airbox accidentally. but i'm sure everyone wrote off vtt for it lol.
What VTT turbos are they?

VTT GC turbos have had cast wheel failures, they've admitted it and it's kinda common unfortunately! They've sinced changed their wheel AFAIK..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #80
101Duck
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
What VTT turbos are they?

VTT GC turbos have had cast wheel failures, they've admitted it and it's kinda common unfortunately! They've sinced changed their wheel AFAIK..
gc with billet wheels. could see where something had gone in it. not a wheel failure at all, poor little turbo didn't stand a chance.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #81
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Duck View Post
gc with billet wheels. could see where something had gone in it. not a wheel failure at all, poor little turbo didn't stand a chance.
Ahh yup, Ive only seen the failures being the cast exhaust wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 05:00 AM   #82
schmick325
Private
Rep

Found the cause of the cars' recent oil consumption and the whistle 😂😭

Not sure on the how or why, but it is what it is.

Getting rebuilt locally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #83
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Found the cause of the cars' recent oil consumption and the whistle ����

Not sure on the how or why, but it is what it is.

Getting rebuilt locally.
It is pretty clear your issue is not a manufacturing issue as these fins just do not bend backwards at their own discretion, and these billet wheels are extremely strong as long as they are only processing airflow instead of foreign objects. Keep in mind that as the wheel rotates if there were an housing interference due to bearing wear (or else) it would affect all fins the same, whereas 2 of your fins are still perfectly straight. Also keep in mind that the compressor wheel is completely intact, meaning it had no separation issues that could've been the cause of its own subsequent fin damages. All together is a clear cut "something else" was ingested into the turbo, apparently something very soft as the damages caused nothing abrasive such as a bolt or other hard debris would've shown.

We have seen it only a few times over the past 15 years of building turbos, but it would seem a shop cloth (or the like) was ingested and likely later extracted from the turbo- most likely during install or very early servicing as you heard the odd noise from the day you picked up the vehicle. This certainly would lead to an odd turbo noise with the partial blade bend scenario as what has been presented. It should go without saying alongside being completely obvious to the recipients of our products, but we certainly do not ship turbos out the door with bent fins either.

Chances are the bearings have now worn, the center section and turbine shaft assembly could be as well, and obviously the compressor wheel is damaged. The other turbo likely was doing much of the work if this one was not performing, which can lead to some wear on it as well. It is all certainly repairable and as always we are here to service our products but it is understandable that it is not always going to be in the cards for everyone. It will be interesting to see if another vendor can tackle it effectively, we are not so sure on that but time will tell and best of luck.

In conclusion there is not much any turbo vendor can do to prevent these sorts of accidents or mishaps from happening, but they do and can happen, and we have extended our repair services as a viable solution to the issue at hand here- however it seems it was discarded primarily due to things we can not control (ie. International shipping costs) just as the turbos were damaged due to things we can not control (ie. FOD).

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-05-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #84
schmick325
Private
Rep

I hear what you say but I doubt Advan would share the same explanation.

As for the 2nd turbo leaking oil after 2000 kms due to the other one not being efficient is a bit hard to acknowledge as well.

This is why I'm getting it serviced locally. There's too much BS. You even told me Advan has a perfect track record with no issues in installing these. Why would you write that??

Paying postage both ways on a pair of Turbo's I've already paid $5500AUD for, and then for you to make a decision on whether or not you will 'goodwill' a repair (leaving me at the mercy of what you would charge should you decide not to goodwill repair) doesn't sound very enticing.

I'm sure any good turbo shop here can fix these up.

Last edited by schmick325; 09-05-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #85
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear what you say but I doubt Advan would share the same explanation.

As for the 2nd turbo leaking oil after 2000 kms due to the other one not being efficient is a bit hard to acknowledge as well.

This is why I'm getting it serviced locally. There's too much BS. You even told me Advan has a perfect track record with no issues in installing these. Why would you write that??

Paying postage both ways on a pair of Turbo's I've already paid $5500AUD for, and then for you to make a decision on whether or not you will 'goodwill' a repair (leaving me at the mercy of what you would charge should you decide not to goodwill repair) doesn't sound very enticing.

I'm sure any good turbo shop here can fix these up.
We'd really love to hear an explanation otherwise. That is how 2 fins escape bends in a "The Matrix" like fashion, whereas the 4 others are bent backwards... while on a completely intact wheel. Certainly they didn't arrive that way. Certainly the airflow through them wasn't so fierce it bent them. Ultimately there really just isn't any other explanation, which is probably why we never heard a peep about any portion of this issue or anything about the install whatseover until it fell into your hands.

BTW we think you have this a bit mixed up:
"There's too much BS. You even told me Advan has a perfect track record with no issues in installing these. Why would you write that??"

Here is how it went-

You said: "I am getting Advan in Sydney NSW to install the Turbo's and will forward them your email. They have done many before though. They also installed Marty's RB's as well."

We said: "You are welcome sir and sounds good about Advan getting it all done for you! Keep us posted- track record is absolute perfection so you should be very happy!"

What that means is that our track record, on our turbos, has been perfection. We can see how you may have interpreted that we were referring to your installer (of whom we'd had no idea of prior to you saying who you were going to), but that just was not the case at all. We hold no one to no installer, we just can't, we simply offer turbos and hope for the best case every time although we know that is not possible either. Advan deals in our competitors turbos, as well, so they really only buy elsewhere as there is some money to be made there too- whereas we pass all of our saving potential directly to our customers such as yourself.

Lastly as for the goodwill costs of repair, we do not think it was a matter of IF there would be goodwill provisions it was more just a matter of how much. To determine this it really helps to know what we are holding to determine the costs to repair the damages, but even at full cost without Goodwill provisions our repairs are priced better than what can be found anywhere else. All said to repair costs with us could be minimal. The biggest problem here is of course the shipping still is there, but we just can not control that we are on opposite sides of the world. At the end of the day you "gotta do what you gotta do."

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-05-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #86
schmick325
Private
Rep

Guess we'll know more once they've had a going over. I've been told multiple issues could cause this.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #87
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guess we'll know more once they've had a going over. I've been told multiple issues could cause this.
Indeed and if the looking over yields anything productive let us all make sure it actually amounts to sound logic.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #88
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Really thats surprising, what are they?
Appreciate 0