E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RB Hotside Silicone Outlets

06-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #111
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Trnsfmr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Good on you mate, will be interesting to see the completed product
Quick update: The prototype RHD aluminium outlet has now been completed and we will hopefully test fit and iron out any issues within the next couple of weeks.
Any indicative pricing at this point ?
      06-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #112
101Duck
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

One of my favourite parts about this scene esp RHD is the amount of people that are "Gonna do"

and then it gets too hard and they flag it haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #113
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

When I had the transmission out a couple of weeks ago, I was also going to replace the 335 steering shaft with the M3 item that I purchased a while back. As the downpipes were removed, it would make the task a lot easier. However, before diving in and starting the job, I had a closer look at both shafts and found that the hub on the top universal of the M3 item which bolts onto the shaft was approx. 12mm longer than the 335 item. On the 335 item, this hub is welded onto the top of the steering shaft and is therefore shorter and not as bulky. The M3 hub is square with sharp corners which by my measurements could have started hitting the top of the silicon outlet. For this reason, I gave it a miss and decided to leave it as is for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #114
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
When I had the transmission out a couple of weeks ago, I was also going to replace the 335 steering shaft with the M3 item that I purchased a while back. As the downpipes were removed, it would make the task a lot easier. However, before diving in and starting the job, I had a closer look at both shafts and found that the hub on the top universal of the M3 item which bolts onto the shaft was approx. 12mm longer than the 335 item. On the 335 item, this hub is welded onto the top of the steering shaft and is therefore shorter and not as bulky. The M3 hub is square with sharp corners which by my measurements could have started hitting the top of the silicon outlet. For this reason, I gave it a miss and decided to leave it as is for now.
Correct.

I have a 1M and had the outlets fitted. I was forced to have the steering wheel set in 1 spot only which was far too low for my liking due to the squareness of the hub.

Have subsequently taken the outlets off and sent Rob B an email about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #115
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Good on you mate, will be interesting to see the completed product
Quick update: The prototype RHD aluminium outlet has now been completed and we will hopefully test fit and iron out any issues within the next couple of weeks.
Any indicative pricing at this point ?
I just received the prototype outlet. It looks sexy af. I'm hoping to get it on the car for a test fit in the next week.
Unsure of price at this stage until the design and fab is finalised, but I'd say it could be around $400 at a guess.
Appreciate 1
DR-JEKL897.50
      07-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #116
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just received the prototype outlet. It looks sexy af. I'm hoping to get it on the car for a test fit in the next week.
Unsure of price at this stage until the design and fab is finalised, but I'd say it could be around $400 at a guess.
Sounds good. I hope it fits ok. Some photos would be nice.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #117
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm reluctant to post a lot of detail until we have checked for fitment and clearances. These particular ones utilise the oem c clamp fitting as per stock outlets and will end where oem outlet finishes with a silicon coupler to suit IC.
Here's a sneak peek.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DR-JEKL897.50
      07-08-2018, 04:44 AM   #118
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm reluctant to post a lot of detail until we have checked for fitment and clearances. These particular ones utilise the oem c clamp fitting as per stock outlets and will end where oem outlet finishes with a silicon coupler to suit IC.
Here's a sneak peek.
Count me in for a set when they're ready
      07-22-2018, 04:16 AM   #119
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Looking good.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 04:42 AM   #120
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so the test fit resulted in needing to modify the piping for the rear turbo.
I'm going to have that done this week and try again next weekend.
We're getting close.
Note this outlet runs between the steering shaft and engine (not on the outside). Unfortunately that damn accordion section is where it passes through- the widest part of the shaft. If it was on the other end, no problem with fitment. I must confess I thought about cutting the shaft and swapping it.
So at this point it looks like no gain using the m3 shaft, which I'd swapped. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DR-JEKL897.50
      07-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #121
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Looks like a damn neat outlet mate, will be great to offer these to sell to the community

Yeah it seems the M3 shaft hinders fitment more so unfortunately as reported by coupes
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #122
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Looks like a damn neat outlet mate, will be great to offer these to sell to the community

Yeah it seems the M3 shaft hinders fitment more so unfortunately as reported by coupes
Quote:

The intention is to make a solution for the RHD community.
I've had the adjustment done to the piping now so have to wait until Saturday to reinstall.
I believe the M3 shaft may hinder the silicon outlet that goes up and around the outside of the shaft.
This outlet takes the stock route (it won't melt) and only passes by the accordion part of the shaft, which the stock one also has. So it's neither an advantage nor a disadvantage with this setup. You just don't gain any useable space for this application. It could still be useful space for relocated inlets.
Appreciate 2
DR-JEKL897.50
      08-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #123
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

any developments on this guys?

I was looking at buying the VTT aluminium outlets and getting some kind of fab work done on the rear, but obviously you guys are already there?

Cheers Russ
Jb4 with Trebila BEF,vargas stage 2+ turbos, vrsf dp's, vrsf cp with tial bov, vrfs 7" fmic, EOS PI with BMS PI controller, RB Inlets and Outlets, bms meth kit, BMS DCI, miltek cat back, bms occ,3.5 tmap, ngk 5992 plugs, HSD coilovers, M3 rear subframe, diff, drive shafts , suspension and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #124
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russjonesr View Post
any developments on this guys?

I was looking at buying the VTT aluminium outlets and getting some kind of fab work done on the rear, but obviously you guys are already there?

Cheers Russ
It's almost there. I've got it on my car and testing it. We have to make one final tweek to make it work. We need to skim a little more off to get proper clearance for the steering shaft. Obviously we are trying to keep as much diameter as possible so I've been slowly "chipping away" at it over several revisions. When I get the finished piece I'll be back here to show it to you guys.
I'm guessing within two to three weeks it should be done. This is it as installed now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DR-JEKL897.50
jzx_andy245.00
      08-07-2018, 01:18 AM   #125
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

With Ur exp on this. Any comments on actually re positioning the steering column a little from behind the firewall?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:10 AM   #126
Coupes33
Major
Rep

How much adjustment can you make with the steering wheel up and down before the steering shaft fouls the outlet or has this been allowed for in the design N54 Trnsfmr? Looks good what you have done. It will flow heaps more than the OEM outlet and won't wear with time like the silicone items.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #127
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
How much adjustment can you make with the steering wheel up and down before the steering shaft fouls the outlet or has this been allowed for in the design N54 Trnsfmr? Looks good what you have done. It will flow heaps more than the OEM outlet and won't wear with time like the silicone items.
Quote:
I played with the steering shaft adjustment a lot to wrangle this thing into this tight space.
At the moment I've just got it at my ideal driving position. I haven't tested it exhaustively in different positions because I wanted this to fit no matter how the wheel is adjusted, and it will.
To be honest I think my RH engine mount has collapsed slightly because I only get contact (grinding noise) when turning left as the engine shifts slightly to the right. So new engine mounts are on the way as we speak.
I just want to remove as many variables as I can so that this will fit any e9x car.
As it's a hard pipe there's zero give in it.
And it does flow better. A lot clearer turbo sound also. It sounds good.
I can feel that my car needs to be retuned now with less resistance in the outlet to take full advantage. But that's what we do when we change things.
And the best part is that it looks totally oem. Super stealthy if that's important to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #128
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
With Ur exp on this. Any comments on actually re positioning the steering column a little from behind the firewall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s View Post
I haven't gone that way because as I said to coupes33, I'm trying to get this to fit any e9x car without modifying too much, or anything. We all have slight variations in our cars (and height) and I don't want to be restricted to a certain wheel position for this to work. That's only half a solution.
Also if you ever have to get an inspection done and they check wheel adjustment and it contacts at a certain point in its range then it won't pass.
Don't worry we're really close now.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #129
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I haven't gone that way because as I said to coupes33, I'm trying to get this to fit any e9x car without modifying too much, or anything. We all have slight variations in our cars (and height) and I don't want to be restricted to a certain wheel position for this to work. That's only half a solution.
Also if you ever have to get an inspection done and they check wheel adjustment and it contacts at a certain point in its range then it won't pass.
Don't worry we're really close now.
Thanks mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #130
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's almost there. I've got it on my car and testing it. We have to make one final tweek to make it work. We need to skim a little more off to get proper clearance for the steering shaft. Obviously we are trying to keep as much diameter as possible so I've been slowly "chipping away" at it over several revisions. When I get the finished piece I'll be back here to show it to you guys.
I'm guessing within two to three weeks it should be done. This is it as installed now.
What diameter are the two turbo outlet pipes and the pipe joining the IC?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #131
N54Trnsfmr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Outlet pipes are 2" and the collector pipe is 2.5". Silicon coupler to the IC and you reuse the stock V-band clips at the turbos.

Unfortunately we've had a hold up getting the final revision made. We have to wait possibly 5 or 6 weeks for more CNC connectors to be made up.

The fabricator is going to make a small run of these at that time to gauge interest.

I'll post back here when fitment is confirmed so you guys have first option on a set.

These outlets will fit all stock frame turbos such as:

OEM turbos
Hexon RR500, 550, 600, 700
Pure stage 2, stage 2 hi-flow
VTT stage 1, 2, 2+
RB turbo ones, twos, next gen, next gen plus, super stealths
Frankenturbo F21Bi (front turbo clocking may be required)
TTE 550, 600
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:34 AM   #132
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Outlet pipes are 2" and the collector pipe is 2.5". Silicon coupler to the IC and you reuse the stock V-band clips at the turbos.

Unfortunately we've had a hold up getting the final revision made. We have to wait possibly 5 or 6 weeks for more CNC connectors to be made up.

The fabricator is going to make a small run of these at that time to gauge interest.

I'll post back here when fitment is confirmed so you guys have first option on a set.

These outlets will fit all stock frame turbos such as:

OEM turbos
Hexon RR500, 550, 600, 700
Pure stage 2, stage 2 hi-flow
VTT stage 1, 2, 2+
RB turbo ones, twos, next gen, next gen plus, super stealths
Frankenturbo F21Bi (front turbo clocking may be required)
TTE 550, 600
Put me down for a set please?