E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough idle after oil change

11-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Rough idle after oil change

I searched and didn't find anything on this, so I figured I would post something in case this happens to anyone else.

I changed the oil and filter on my car yesterday. As soon as I start it up to back it down the ramps, I noticed that it had a very rough idle. As I drove it around the block to check everything out, the SES light came on. To make a long story short, I was perplexed and checked everything I could think of. I went to an auto parts store and they pulled the P1415 code from the SES light. The car was still idling very roughly when I drove home (and actually stalled once when I first started it up).

After extensive internet search, I finally found someone who had a similar situation. It turns out that the oil cap wasn't screwed down all the way. I checked the cap and it could still be turned 1/4 a turn. After I tightened it down, the car idled normally and now the SES light has cleared. It was a bizarre situation, but I just wanted to throw this up here in case anyone else is in the same boat I was.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
andrewbommer
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Rough idle after oil change

I changed my oil and dropped my coolant at 50k miiles recently. When I restarted i had a very rough hunting idle and shortly after the service engine soon light came on. I checked the oil cap half a dozen times and never got it to turn any farther. On about the 4th restart the idle evened out. I drove the car a week waiting for the MIL to go out but it never did. Yes I had "good trips" twice a day to and from work. Finally rented the scan tool from Autozone and found P codes for both banks lean. Cleared the codes and have drove it all day today without them coming back so I have my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
There's suppose to be a dot you line up when you screw the cap back on....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

This was a case of a vacuum leak since the cap was not all the way tight. The "dot" dfriller discusses is not a "lineup mark" (simply becasue you could line up the marks every 360 deg of rotation of the cap). The dot is just a production mark for QA inspection purposes so that proper installation of the oil cap is verified. A lot of people get this confused. The oilfilter cap is properly installed when it is torqued down to spec.
Appreciate 0