E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu has arrived!

06-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
seoulmandmd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

WtF. This thread ... LOL

Suspension mods fix the horrific stock ride. Power is power. ......
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #24
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

let's concentrate on my three wrap up items. Any feedback from the no lift shift option?
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
superdrive320
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Seems like a heavily overmodified car to not have a tune
well now it has one
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying nobody on here tracks their car, but I don't. And now that I am FBO, I'm starting to investigate suspension mods. IMO, the tune should always be 1st mod so you can unlock the full potential of the motor. If you actually track your car and take it somewhat seriously, then a LSD/suspension mods would follow.
I guess we agree to disagree then. Most people, including me, who have been modding cars for 30+ years would probably tell you tires, suspension, drivetrain are an absolute first....followed by other supporting mods before you even touch an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulmandmd View Post
WtF. This thread ... LOL

Suspension mods fix the horrific stock ride. Power is power. ......
It's hard to get though to some people. Just blindly slapping on engine mods is never a good answer, especailly if it's not properly applied to the ground. Stock RFT's, mushy (I'm being gernerous with that word) suspension, heavy wheels, and weak axles lead to a shitty ride no matter how much power your engine makes.

But if your goal is to race from redlight to redlight than it might be good enough IMO if you want to truley unleash the "engines" full potential, then we go back full circle.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just don't find it amussing being some Carmo/Trans AM looking hill billy burning my RR tire for 80'. Just think that's horrific (and dangerous). And regardless if it's a Detroit Locker, OS Giken etc it's always a .... "POSI-Traction". This is similar to off-roading. I build a straight axle conversion early 90's 4runner. Put a 10 bolt 80's GM straight axle up front. I was running Detroit lockers F&R with 35-37" tires. Truck was unstopplable. But then I'd go out with these who had 44" boggers and were running open diffs F&R and would get stuck all the G-D time. Theres looks, function and both.

Now what about my NO lift shift feature!!!?????? Run it or not!
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by fl335i; 06-27-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Congrats OP

Fuck all the losers who say you need a tune first. I, for one, applaud your choice of mods and the order in which you did them. I think more people should get an LSD and suspension mods first, before tuning their car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
LSD is one of the best mods you can do, regardless if you track your car or not. Read some of the reviews from people who have done an LSD. It's badass
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
LSD is one of the best mods you can do, regardless if you track your car or not. Read some of the reviews from people who have done an LSD. It's badass
+1000 Helps in everyday driving, wether you push the car or not, and could save your ass if you lose traction due to road conditions. If you like having a predictable car...its a must. If you enjoy not knowing, or just don't care, which direction the car will turn if you lose traction then stick with the oem diff.

It just comes down to people being too cheap, don't care, or just not informed. What cracks me up are these guys running $6,000 rims but cheap out and wrap them with shit rubbers. Same goes with performance mods, It's easier to slap on a ~$600 tune in 5 min vs. a $1500 diff (+ labor). That ~$600 tune is rather pointless if you are doing one wheel burnouts off the line (if driving straight is your thing).
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Well, it is fun to see the weaknesses of the car's suspension before upgrading. In stock form, it's not that obvious. However, once you switch to non RFTs and add a tune you quickly realize how weak it is. Looking forward to getting a LSD myself. It's shameful that a base mustang has LSD standard, yet it's not even a factory option for us
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #32
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
X-mas Present to myself will prob be a full suspension upgrade: coilover, springs, M3 suspension bits & an LSD from VAC. Then after that some brake upgrade (whether it's just the calipers or a BBK) w/ new wheels for next summer.

Then I might be finished modding
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #33
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
X-mas Present to myself will prob be a full suspension upgrade: coilover, springs, M3 suspension bits & an LSD from VAC. Then after that some brake upgrade (whether it's just the calipers or a BBK) w/ new wheels for next summer.

Then I might be finished modding
That's what we all said....then it will be upgraded turbos, body work, .... it never ends (unless your name is creamiz)

Keep in mind, if you do both m3 rear bits and LSD, make sure to do the install at the same time. Save yourself a bunch of time or labor fees
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #34
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
I'm trying so hard to stop modding right now but I've gone FBO, already changed my DPs + now I think I want to change my Intake too

Already come to the conclusion that I'm never going to be satisfied with the car & that there will always be something else to do
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

Already come to the conclusion that I'm never going to be satisfied with the car & that there will always be something else to do
No rush. Take your time Always keeps you looking forward to what you can do.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #36
TotalBlackout
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i

Putting a tune in a car first makes sense to most people I believe because they just want that extra passing power and acceleration, you know daily driving stuff.

When it comes to daily driving, performance and drivability are a priority. Tunes are only $500 and you can install/uninstall by yourself in a half hour.

With that being said, I want an LSD more than anything right now. But my goals for the car are very different now from when I first got the car.

I still feel like it was the right choice for my car to tune first.
      06-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #37
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

OP, run the NLS.

Regarding the order of mods discussion, I recently went from a FBO 335i with an open diff to a stock M3. Guess what... The M3 is still more fun to just drive from stop light to stop light (which there are way too many of in Texas). The ability to actually put the power down makes for more fun than watching that stupid yellow TC light on the dashboard every time you put your foot down. And without an LSD, you won't be moving forwards much. IMO LSD and tune would be my first mods. Then I'd do suspension and power by switching off. One suspension / wheel / drivetrain mod and one power mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #38
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

you say that it just arrived... how long did it take from the time you ordered until you received it?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
you say that it just arrived... how long did it take from the time you ordered until you received it?
Mine took a few weeks. I just got it today, hooked it up, and it didn't work. I'm having another one shipped to me in exchange for this one. I really hope it doesn't take a few more weeks to get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #40
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Done. Got it all buttoned up. Ended up putting the NLS relay in. Was a bit confusing b/c what I had did not match their write up, but I figured it out. I got the USB Cable through the ECU compartment to the glove box too Took it for a spin, taking it easy for a while. Figured out how to switch maps and gauges. But there are more gauge combos than listed.... need to email them on that. Believe it's a vac gauge.

After all that I lost one of the cabin air filter screws down by the brake master cylidner... I knew it was going to happen one day. I couldn't find it.... after all the mods I've done to the car, I lose the damn cabin filter screw.

Last edited by fl335i; 06-27-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0