E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Disa Question

11-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUSH View Post
I just changed my disa 1 unit. Upon removal of the original one there was zero resistance on the old one & I couldnt move the new one. I realise now that BMW must have known this when I was complaining about the hesitation from 30,000 kms but were just covering it up as per usual,is like a new car now. I only really had some noise on ocassion when cold. Buying that cable was the best $50 I have spent for a long time. Quite a simple job four screws on the disa itself 2 screws on ythe bracket ( I just removed the top one & loosened the bottom one so I could swing it out of the way)Was a bit of a fidley job but worth it. I think perhaps the flaps on thirty thirty ones motor may be loose but not zero resistancen perhaps just chattering and moving maybe 20-30 % and creating the noise but thats just a theory best replace disa 1 first & see how you go.
Wow, that is good news!! So I gather when you say zero resistance you mean as in electrical - failed motor since these are motorised? Or do you mean physical resistance in the flap movement? The impression I get is that being motorised the flaps are not supposed to be able to move at all by hand.

I really now need to order my own cable since I am just borrowing a friend's one for the moment. Installed INPA 5.0.2 which is in English and ran those DISA tests again last night when things were considerably quieter. DISA 1, just like my vid above, is consistently making this 'rattly clacking' noise when opening and closing, whereas the smaller DISA 2 is barely noticeable - it's far more gentle and consistent sounding! So depending on how long it will take to get the parts on order, I might just also only do DISA 1, and then if really necessary can replace DISA 2 at a later stage.

Once the new DISA 1 is fitted I am really hoping that aside from the rattling noises it will sort out the stumbling and flat spots at lower revs, also the throttle response is pretty jerky which the tuner insists is not normal - but this could be more to do with the suspect temperature sensor.

Freaking annoys the hell out of me that the agents could not (more like not willing to) sort this out for me, and seems like you have had precisely the same nonsense!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
KUSH
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 08 325i M Sport/Innovations

The flap could easily be pushed from side to side the motor was not working at all. I also notice my car seemed to idle at higher revs & gradually slow down when I just stopped it just runs even all the time. Im glad I did it & i think quitye a lot of these cars have this problem but the owners dont know. The DISA itself was very clean when removed no oil or gunk so I believe the unit motor itself is the problem. I purchased the disa from http://www.oembimmerparts.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
The flap could easily be pushed from side to side the motor was not working at all. I also notice my car seemed to idle at higher revs & gradually slow down when I just stopped it just runs even all the time. Im glad I did it & i think quitye a lot of these cars have this problem but the owners dont know. The DISA itself was very clean when removed no oil or gunk so I believe the unit motor itself is the problem. I purchased the disa from http://www.oembimmerparts.com
Well this is very true. If it wasn't for me searching and reading up as much as possible I would never have come to the conclusion that it could be a DISA flap problem. And while I do enjoy driving with music on the go, I like to hear what my car is doing so always pay attention to noises, especially with the window down, and this is how I first began to notice this noise which was very light and intermittent during light accelerations and this was from just after I bought the car in mid 2010. So yes, if I was someone else less concerned and not paying attention to noises, chances are I would hardly even notice it. And in all honesty, when I first took it to the agents I thought it was something as simple as a noisy dual mass flywheel, but then they suggested that the engine was pinging and began with the play the "it's normal" game - knock sensors are there to prevent this and help the ECU make extremely fast timing corrections to prevent this, so chances are you don't even ever hear anything. Plus our fuel is not that bad, not nearly to the extent that they would have you believe. Moral of the story, when it was that I suspected the dual mass flywheel it was annoying but not life threatening as far as I was concerned, but the moment it went from this to a suspected pinging issue, my worries grew!

Interesting to note on RealOEM is that there are two revised DISA 1 motors but only one revised DISA 2 motor - maybe more failures in general with this particular one!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
donoharm-Race
Registered
Rep
Drives: arctic e90 H&R Bilsteins

I thought E90 325s didn't have disa valves, only 328 and 330??
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #27
KUSH
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 08 325i M Sport/Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm-Race
I thought E90 325s didn't have disa valves, only 328 and 330??
In Australia & Europe they do
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #28
asiemers
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
In Australia & Europe they do
Why don't american 325s have disa valves?
Appreciate 0