E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ESS N52 Supercharger Reviews & INFO

12-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #67
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Yeah talk about patience man. Looks like the kit needs months of work to be truly install ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #68
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkeyz73 View Post
I'm sure that things will work out, you gotta have guts to beta test! Given ESS's previous work we can only hope this comes to market as flawless as their other VT kits. @kisho, I hope you were financially compensated as well
Honestly, I had no idea I was going to be a beta tester. When I asked how many have been shipped, they told me I was 4th or 5th and that those people were solid. But then it changed to 2nd when I started having issues. At that point I was already invested and had taken it out at least 4 times. If I knew any of this shit was going to happen before hand, I'd have refused the package.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #69
b-man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

To be fair to ESS, the product is not "officially" for sale. And this is exactly why. They probably don't have every model available, so they're looking for testers with different cars like n52 328, n51 328, n52 330 etc. Once the product is listed on their website, I'm sure it'll work fine.

I hope it all works out kisho. That sounds like a lot of trouble to go through. Props to you buddy, keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #70
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
To be fair to ESS, the product is not "officially" for sale. And this is exactly why. They probably don't have every model available, so they're looking for testers with different cars like n52 328, n51 328, n52 330 etc. Once the product is listed on their website, I'm sure it'll work fine.

I hope it all works out kisho. That sounds like a lot of trouble to go through. Props to you buddy, keep us updated!
I agree, they don't have every model. It's just too bad I didn't know this before hand. They weren't very transparent about that until after we started to diagnose the problems.

Everyone that pre-ordered the kit should lobby to get me financially compensated. It's been in a buddy's shop for over a week when I started this. He cut me a deal but shop costs aren't cheap regardless. I was told by ESS it should only take 1-2hrs, we worked on it for almost 10. ESS covered me for a bit of it after beefing it out with them for 30mins. That softened the blow quite a bit, but I'm still over the initial price of the kit and I shouldn't be.

I also have a ton of things for sale because I need to the extra capital to cover anymore unexpected expenses.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #71
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
I agree, they don't have every model. It's just too bad I didn't know this before hand. They weren't very transparent about that until after we started to diagnose the problems.

Everyone that pre-ordered the kit should lobby to get me financially compensated. It's been in a buddy's shop for over a week when I started this. He cut me a deal but shop costs aren't cheap regardless. I was told by ESS it should only take 1-2hrs, we worked on it for almost 10. ESS covered me for a bit of it after beefing it out with them for 30mins. That softened the blow quite a bit, but I'm still over the initial price of the kit and I shouldn't be.

I also have a ton of things for sale because I need to the extra capital to cover anymore unexpected expenses.

Damn that really sucks. So basically you are their lab and they clearly did not invest the time and resources to develop it. Why then offer it to customers?

You should have this kit for free and they should pay for your rental if you can't use your vehicle. They need to fly the tech to your place and have them work on your car and log all the issues and then don't touch it until everything is resolved and you get new parts. There is a way to do this the right way.

I would consider returning the kit and requesting a full refund. If they won't work with you open a case with your CC company if you used cc to pay for it and request full refund.

Hope your car does not have permanent damage!

GL and happy NY!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #72
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

It honestly doesn't sound that horrible

Bad instructions, I get it.
Bad coupler to the TB...fair enough
Alternator bracket? Easy fix, but understandable considering where the kit was made

Software - did you use your tool to flash back to stock and go from there?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #73
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Damn that really sucks. So basically you are their lab and they clearly did not invest the time and resources to develop it. Why then offer it to customers?

You should have this kit for free and they should pay for your rental if you can't use your vehicle. They need to fly the tech to your place and have them work on your car and log all the issues and then don't touch it until everything is resolved and you get new parts. There is a way to do this the right way.

I would consider returning the kit and requesting a full refund. If they won't work with you open a case with your CC company if you used cc to pay for it and request full refund.

GL and happy NY!
I've honestly thought about getting a refund but being so invested is making me want to see this all the way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
It honestly doesn't sound that horrible

Bad instructions, I get it.
Bad coupler to the TB...fair enough
Alternator bracket? Easy fix, but understandable considering where the kit was made

Software - did you use your tool to flash back to stock and go from there?
When you summarize it like that, it really doesn't.

I started working on this on the first of this month. The instructions kept it down for a week. The alternator and the new tb hose didn't come till the second week. Finally the alternator bracket actually wasn't fixed. They sent me a new blower with a groove in it for the stock alternator to fit in and I just got that today.

So my question to you is: How would you feel if your daily was down for a month? That's really my biggest issue, time spent on dealing with this.

Also what tool are you referring to? I don't have a tool to flash back to stock. I currently have to tow it to get it flashed back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #74
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post

GL and happy NY!
Agreed 100%

I can't imagine dealing with that and the rest of life/work/family when that clearly wasn't the expectation.
      12-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #75
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I've honestly thought about getting a refund but being so invested is making me want to see this all the way through.

When you summarize it like that, it really doesn't.

I started working on this on the first of this month. The instructions kept it down for a week. The alternator and the new tb hose didn't come till the second week. Finally the alternator bracket actually wasn't fixed. They sent me a new blower with a groove in it for the stock alternator to fit in and I just got that today.

So my question to you is: How would you feel if your daily was down for a month? That's really my biggest issue, time spent on dealing with this.

Also what tool are you referring to? I don't have a tool to flash back to stock. I currently have to tow it to get it flashed back to stock.
here is the problem I see though and I m not trying to be a prick or anything but the kit was never officially for sale on their website so Im guessing you contacted them and somehow got a hold of the kit before anybody did ( noone even knew someone in this forum had the kit already) ,so in theory you must of been somewhat aware that problems may occur in a somewhat of a test kit, second thing is that why would you install this on your daily knowing the kit was never officially release , I would ve probably made sure I had a back up car.

Im not sure what the agreement was with ESS but you should still be compensated for the troubles or they should fly a tech down to your place to get this right ... Having the car down for a month is way too long.
Is there a chance for you to tow your car or ESS to get this right, I dont even know how far you are from there , or maybe ESS may have affiliation with a shop close to you where you can take the car and ESS takes care of the bill .

I hope this gets all sort it out
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #76
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
here is the problem I see though and I m not trying to be a prick or anything but the kit was never officially for sale on their website so Im guessing you contacted them and somehow got a hold of the kit before anybody did ( noone even knew someone in this forum had the kit already) ,so in theory you must of been somewhat aware that problems may occur in a somewhat of a test kit, second thing is that why would you install this on your daily knowing the kit was never officially release , I would ve probably made sure I had a back up car.

Im not sure what the agreement was with ESS but you should still be compensated for the troubles or they should fly a tech down to your place to get this right ... Having the car down for a month is way too long.
Is there a chance for you to tow your car or ESS to get this right, I dont even know how far you are from there , or maybe ESS may have affiliation with a shop close to you where you can take the car and ESS takes care of the bill .

I hope this gets all sort it out
I bought the kit as if it were the final, ready for sale, version. I was not told otherwise. Honestly, the way I got the kit was simply sending a pm to Roman, who told me to email him my info and pay for it.

Though I do understand your point, I was somewhat suspicious that it was not for sale on their site. Since it was still a new kit, I was expecting some kinks, but thing as major as it being a test kit or me being a beta tester. So I installed it into my daily. However, I do have a back up. Still don't think it should have ever come to that though.

There was no agreement of any sort. I'm just a simple customer. Like I said, I just messaged Roman that I wanted it, gave him my info, and paid. They mentioned shipping my car to them so they can do a reinstall and a custom dyno tune. They keep tip toeing around it trying to solve the issues without having to do anything serious. I'm in Maryland and I don't think there are any ESS affiliated shops near me.

However, now that the news has spread and I've had people contact me saying they returned it, they seem to be a bit more accommodating. I want to ship the car to them, have them do their thing, ship it back, and just drive. That just seems like the easiest and fastest option available.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #77
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I bought the kit as if it were the final, ready for sale, version. I was not told otherwise. Honestly, the way I got the kit was simply sending a pm to Roman, who told me to email him my info and pay for it.

Though I do understand your point, I was somewhat suspicious that it was not for sale on their site. Since it was still a new kit, I was expecting some kinks, but thing as major as it being a test kit or me being a beta tester. So I installed it into my daily. However, I do have a back up. Still don't think it should have ever come to that though.

There was no agreement of any sort. I'm just a simple customer. Like I said, I just messaged Roman that I wanted it, gave him my info, and paid. They mentioned shipping my car to them so they can do a reinstall and a custom dyno tune. They keep tip toeing around it trying to solve the issues without having to do anything serious. I'm in Maryland and I don't think there are any ESS affiliated shops near me.

However, now that the news has spread and I've had people contact me saying they returned it, they seem to be a bit more accommodating. I want to ship the car to them, have them do their thing, ship it back, and just drive. That just seems like the easiest and fastest option available.
shipping the car to them and having them deal with it is the best solution. I hope ess can work out a deal on the shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #78
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
shipping the car to them and having them deal with it is the best solution. I hope ess can work out a deal on the shipping.
They said they would cover it. Now whether they actually do it is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #79
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They said they would cover it. Now whether they actually do it is a different story.
at this point their reputation is on the line so I surely hope they make it up to you ... At the end of the day if you are happy with the end result you ll inform everyone here and they can sell more kits .. word gets around

So far I think ESS has tried to make it right somewhat ... Keeps us inform
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 01:17 AM   #80
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
at this point their reputation is on the line so I surely hope they make it up to you ... At the end of the day if you are happy with the end result you ll inform everyone here and they can sell more kits .. word gets around

You're absolutely right. I've always though of ESS as a very reputable company, which is why I was so gung ho about getting a kit from them.
I'd say it'd take 2 weeks or so to ship the car to and from and get everything done. Hopefully, I'll be able to have the car up and running by the end of January.

If not then, I'm raising hell.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #81
houbmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i Sport with SMG

Quote:
Honestly, I had no idea I was going to be a beta tester. When I asked how many have been shipped, they told me I was 4th or 5th and that those people were solid. But then it changed to 2nd when I started having issues. At that point I was already invested and had taken it out at least 4 times. If I knew any of this shit was going to happen before hand, I'd have refused the package.
Damn bro this really does suck but it looks like ESS is trying to do the right thing by having your car transported to them. Hopefully they cover most, if not all, of the cost. Good luck with this project and keep us updated please.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #82
houbmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i Sport with SMG

Quote:

agree...at least they are trying and not just brushing you off. They have a reputation to uphold and it looks like they are trying to right the wrong. I just wish they had informed you honestly about being a beta tester.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #83
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I'm sure they'll get it worked out. While I feel for your down time, the actual problems aren't that major. They need some time to work out the little thing and I'm sure by having your car infront of them things will speed along nicely.

I'm sure you'll think it's all worth it once you get that first WOT pull hehe
      01-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #84
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Try and look at the finish line, youll have a supercharged N52!!

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #85
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
and he ll be the first customer in the US to have a ESS supercharge N52
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #86
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
Quote:
and he ll be the first customer in the US to have a ESS supercharge N52
You guys are right. I lost sight of the finish line cause it was just one thing after another. BTW to be specific, I'll have the first N52 awd.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #87
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
You guys are right. I lost sight of the finish line cause it was just one thing after another. BTW to be specific, I'll have the first N52 awd.
thanks for trying out and share your experience, truly think u gonna have
great result after all the bak and forth with ESS for being beta tester. they should have explained to you a little better as the pre-production kit will have some glitch and further revision to do.

personally i think should have little more faith in ESS, i was once a beta tester for their first N51 tune. although only minor issue like throttle response and traction/power cut early issue, i'd spent 2 month(4 revision) back and forth with them. AJ the head guy for tuning there was very patient and willing to communicate. final tune is perfect, it took AA a year later to come up with "stage 2" tune which really the same for what ESS came up in one shot.
      01-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #88
AdrianRex
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i X-drive

Any updates, Kisho?
Appreciate 0