E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 330d Obituary.

12-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

E91 330d Obituary.

Timing chain has gone pop. Bottom of the engine spins around, Camshaft doesn't move...

Now the really annoying thing is it's just had the following work done to get through an MOT:

Front disk and brakes
New DPF with sensors (I know!)
New Battery
New Glow Plugs and Controller
New EGR
New Mass Air Sensor
Fuel and air filter.

Non of these items have more than 100 miles on them.

Engine has got 186k on it so it's not worth a rebuild and the cost of a fitting a new engine would be disproportionate to the value of the car. Don't really want to turn the drive into breakers yard a

What suggestions do folk have?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
matt_s
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d e90

Sad times...

What kind of value are you wanting to recover from it?

If you go down the "breaking" route, will people buy from you as a private seller, and it'll be a PITA to have it sitting on the drive for months, slowly being disassembled, attracting unapprovinf looks from neighbours etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Whats the cost of a low mileage engine fitted? £1k?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
Sad times...

What kind of value are you wanting to recover from it?

If you go down the "breaking" route, will people buy from you as a private seller, and it'll be a PITA to have it sitting on the drive for months, slowly being disassembled, attracting unapprovinf looks from neighbours etc.
I have no idea what it's worth - anyone any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Its got to be worth getting a reconditioned engine as opposed to scrap value.

Get some quotes from an Indy, they will know where to pick one up at a reasonable price.

Keeping the car yourself and selling the bits from it will take years.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

so i know you can get reconditioned engines all be it N57 for £3k with warranty fitted i think? from eBay, a used M57 with a warranty would be less, or guessing recon would be similar...

its a real bummer you just put all that money into it

are these an interference engine? or will a new chain and guide hopefully fix it? (no bent valves)

sorry confused with your sig, is this a M57 or N57 engine?
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
so i know you can get reconditioned engines all be it N57 for £3k with warranty fitted i think? from eBay, a used M57 with a warranty would be less, or guessing recon would be similar...

are these an interference engine? or will a new chain and guide hopefully fix it? (no bent valves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post

Ah - so I have both an e91 and an F31...

So if I spend £3k I end up with a car worth about £3k... you see the problem!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
smellypoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleybrooke View Post
Ah - so I have both an e91 and an F31...

So if I spend £3k I end up with a car worth about £3k... you see the problem!
But it'll be a £3k car you'll know the measure of - you have done work to it already and you know all of it's good/bad points, rather than if you were to replace with another £3k car which would be 'unknown' in a lot of areas.

Were you going to change the car any time soon? If it is something you'll be keeping for a few years yet - assuming nothing else major is likely to go wrong with it - it might well be worth repairing and running it.

If you were/are thinking of getting rid, you might be able to take a hit on selling the car as-is (parting out might be a fair bit of hassle) so you'll get some money back.

I don't envy your predicament!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 04:28 AM   #9
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

That sucks I completely see your problem!
Used engine might be a cost effective option? (Some come with short warrenties I’ve seen as a plus) ?
Have you got the space and time to break it?
Wonder what it’s value would be as is....
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 04:28 AM   #10
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Seen an engine on Ebay £1400 so I believe you could fix it for a fair chunk less than £3k. Could you not investigate the engine to see how bad the damage is?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Have you tried speaking to BMW. Timing chains in theory should not go bang otherwise it would be a serviceable item like timing belts!
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellypoo View Post
But it'll be a £3k car you'll know the measure of - you have done work to it already and you know all of it's good/bad points, rather than if you were to replace with another £3k car which would be 'unknown' in a lot of areas.

Were you going to change the car any time soon? If it is something you'll be keeping for a few years yet - assuming nothing else major is likely to go wrong with it - it might well be worth repairing and running it.

If you were/are thinking of getting rid, you might be able to take a hit on selling the car as-is (parting out might be a fair bit of hassle) so you'll get some money back.

I don't envy your predicament!
I think that's a very good point to take into consideration, buying a used engine could save massively but for all you know the timing chain could snap in the next few thousand miles. If I'm not mistaken, if the engine is replaced with a like for like the insurance still class it as a "modification" which may increase insurance. At least with an engine rebuild you know your engine is absolutely solid, all gaskets, bottom end bearings chains etc etc are as good as new.. You may even find some parts such as the chain could be replaced with an upgraded chain and tensioner.. If I had the funds to hand I'd sway more to a rebuild but it's whether you have 3k at your disposal.

If not I think breaking the car up would get the best returns but as you've stated you don't want the clutter everywhere and iy would definitely be time consuming so you may have to take a loss on this one ;/
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep

Sold on eBay for £1,500. Happy at that.

Thing is though, chap reckons there was a recall on the timing chain and that BMW could fix the issue...

Anyone know about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:43 AM   #14
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
He's probably thinking of the N47 timing chain saga. M57 chains are generally more reliable. Although sadly not in your case.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:54 AM   #15
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleybrooke View Post
Sold on eBay for £1,500. Happy at that.

Thing is though, chap reckons there was a recall on the timing chain and that BMW could fix the issue...

Anyone know about this?
There could well be but unless he's the first owner with good standing at the dealership with full service history at that dealership I bet they won't be too obliged to help.

Especially if new owner goes I saying look here I bought a bargain off eBay because the chains gone, now I want the replacement under warranty you'll do this won't you. Then when they decline or offer minimum good will the buyer will be all anti BMW blah blah. Happening a lot buyers buying on a hope for a free fix or buying blind hoping or not caring about history only price then blaming the manufacturer/dealer when they won't help.

Good result for you to be fair getting rid as easy as you did