E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E92 335xi Lowering Srings - i or xi springs? H&R or Vogtland?

01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO Bagged 08 E92 335xi (V2)

E92 335xi Lowering Srings - i or xi springs? H&R or Vogtland?

Hey all,

I have been doing quite a bit of research on lowering springs and now seem to have more questions than when I started.

Basically, I want to lower my 2008 E92 335xi on JUST SPRINGS (going air ride next year, this is a temporary thing) and have been looking at different brands and versions:

- H&R Sports (xi and i)
- Vogtland Sports (i+xi, fits both apparently)

I was wondering if anyone could clear up for me exactly what the difference is in using i springs on an xi vs xi springs on an xi. In my research I've found this to be a common solution to the reverse rake the xi coupes have when using xi-specific springs. Or do I have that the other way around? Is the i vs xi trick an E90 thing as opposed to an E92 solution?

I basically want an even fender-to-wheel gap after lowering, as the stock gap is larger in the front than rear. I couldn't quite discern whether this is because xi suspension needs to be higher in the front to clear the transfer case, or if it's just because the front fenders arch higher on the body than the rear ones. Still, I'd like to even the gaps, even if it means raking the look of the car forward a bit.

It looks like the Vogtland Sports (1.6" front, 1.0" rear) will get me closer to this goal, as the front drop is significantly larger than the rear. This is opposed to the xi version of the H&R sports, which are something like 1.3" front and 1.2" rear. But, would using the i model H&R sport springs instead of the xi model give me a larger drop in the front? This is where I was getting hazy on my research.

Also, I would appreciate any feedback from members with an E92 335xi that have run any of these setups I've mentioned. I'm leaning towards Vogtlands right now, again because of the larger front end drop, but am wary because I haven't found many members who run that setup (while lots run H&R sports).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

bump, looking for opinions on these things before I buy! Leaning towards Vogtlands to avoid the reverse rake but am still confused about buying H&R springs for the i (as opposed to xi) and if that will achieve the same thing
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Silver335xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

BUMP

Anyone want to point to a thread regarding this? Maybe one with stock vs lowering springs pictures? Can't find any besides a few anecdotal comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Just get the Eibach Pro's from Europe. They will cost a little bit to ship, but they are your best option.

Multiple vendors have them in Germany & the UK and can ship to the US. Currency values are in your favor right now as well.

They may be shipping Xi kits to the US now, but when I did my car the Pro springs for the e91 were Europe only.

Check the Eibach Germany site for fitment for your car, or call the distributor in the UK, then call the US guys and see if they have them here using the PN's from the UK/Germany as your guide.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 01-18-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Just get the Eibach Pro's from Europe. They will cost a little bit to ship, but they are your best option.

Multiple vendors have them in Germany & the UK and can ship to the US. Currency values are in your favor right now as well.

They may be shipping Xi kits to the US now, but when I did my car the Pro springs for the e91 were Europe only.

Check the Eibach Germany site for fitment for your car, or call the distributor in the UK, then call the US guys and see if they have them here using the PN's from the UK/Germany as your guide.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, as I am generally pretty impatient, I just went ahead and ordered the vogtlands a couple days ago. More than anything I wanted to get the front as low as possible, and it seemed like these springs were the best for that.

Off the top of your head, would you know if the Eibach Pros would achieve this same goal on an E92 xi? It would still be useful to have this information for me and others.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335xi ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post

Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, as I am generally pretty impatient, I just went ahead and ordered the vogtlands a couple days ago. More than anything I wanted to get the front as low as possible, and it seemed like these springs were the best for that.

Off the top of your head, would you know if the Eibach Pros would achieve this same goal on an E92 xi? It would still be useful to have this information for me and others.
I'm sure you'll be happy with vogtland, got them installed a month ago 335xi 2011 n55
Attached Images

Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Spoiler | M-Performance Side Extension | CF Interior Trim | MHD Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorg95 View Post
I'm sure you'll be happy with vogtland, got them installed a month ago 335xi 2011 n55
ooooh I like! thanks for posting that image, super excited to install them now
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335xi ///M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorg95 View Post
ooooh I like! thanks for posting that image, super excited to install them now
Just have them with stock m sport suspension and it's not bad at all, great for daily driving and it does have better cornering by far, here's another pic
Attached Images

Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Spoiler | M-Performance Side Extension | CF Interior Trim | MHD Tuned
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #9
sismy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

Quote:

I put Eibach Pros in my 2008 E92 335xi to eliminate the wheel gap at front. It has been working pretty well for two years. Originally, I used the Eibach springs with factory shocks. It was ok in Buffalo, NY. Last year, I moved to East Lansing, MI and the road condition is just TOO harsh for the shocks to hold the springs. So I replaced the factory shocks with Koni FSD. So far this setting is a perfect balance for me.
Appreciate 0