E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Alternative to the announced Tissot I fell in love with ...

07-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Alternative to the announced Tissot I fell in love with ...

Thanks to you guys here I'm on the look for a new watch covering my "daily" needs...

Was wearing Fossil fashion watches for a while, but would like to get an automatic watch for the first time.

Looking at affordable watches I definitely fell in love with a specific Tissot CHEMIN DES TOURELLES POWERMATIC 80 ( Link to Tissot, where the watch is announced - but cannot be purchased yet.

I like the Arabic numerals instead of the often used Greek ones, and I like, that there are only two. (would also go without numericals like this Tissot Chronometer for which I don't know the specifics).

Do you have any other recommendation of similar looking watches?

The reason behind this is, that the selected Tissot seemingly will not come with a COSC certified movement.

Or can I ignore that and should go with it nonetheless? Especially considering it would be less than EUR 800.00 ...

Thanks for your input in advance

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #2
BourneJack
Banned
Rep
Drives: BME E90

First +1
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

tissot is a solid brand and COSC isnt the end all be all of watch time making. It is just one agency that certifies watches meet their standards.

the max you will see from COSC is a 5second/day variation, where the max with even just the low grade ETA movement, tissot uses a mid grade, is 15second/day variation.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

This seiko https://seikousa.com/collections/pre...roducts/srpb41 is similar.
As a daily watch some people prefer a metal bracelet because a strap can wear out in two years of daily wear. But Tissot are very neat watches, a brand similar would be Oris another company that has very neat watches.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
This seiko https://seikousa.com/collections/pre...roducts/srpb41 is similar.
As a daily watch some people prefer a metal bracelet because a strap can wear out in two years of daily wear. But Tissot are very neat watches, a brand similar would be Oris another company that has very neat watches.
the movement is just lackluster in the seikos outside the grand seiko

ive got a couple that never see the wrist because of it.

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 01:33 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have got a couple of Seiko watches and I think none of them meet COSC standards but I'm glad to say that Seiko keeps good time though .
Not as accurate as Rolex, Zenith as I would expect .COSC is not a deal breaker to me otherwise I would not buy Seiko at all
You can also look at Mido watches less pricey than Tissot and owned by same Swiss conglomerate as Tissot
      07-18-2018, 02:16 AM   #7
PhilipUK
Going topless
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, MX-5, RCZ R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
the max you will see from COSC is a 5second/day variation
Just to be pedantic, the COSC standard is actually -4/+6 seconds a day.

It's a pretty meaningless thing these days, used more for marketing than anything else. Even the very cheapest quartz watch can easily beat the COSC standard. If extreme accuracy is the OP's main criterion, then a radio-controlled or GPS watch (or even a VHP quartz) would be the best bet.

OP - unless you have a need for extreme accuracy, just buy the watch that you'll get the most pleasure from seeing on your wrist.
      07-18-2018, 02:33 AM   #8
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipUK View Post

It's a pretty meaningless thing these days, used more for marketing than anything else. Even the very cheapest quartz watch can easily beat the COSC standard. If extreme accuracy is the OP's main criterion, then a radio-controlled or GPS watch (or even a VHP quartz) would be the best bet.

OP - unless you have a need for extreme accuracy, just buy the watch that you'll get the most pleasure from seeing on your wrist.
Thanks Philip - and thanks to all others.

I will do just that - buy it because I like it
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

i had a feeling someone would say something... i averaged it cause easier.

but I agree, buying a watch should be more about liking the watch, than accuracy. If you need pinpoint accuracy, your phone does that.

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:

COSC has different standards for quartz movements.

DerEisbaer I agree with the above - you are unlikely to see COSC certification at your price point. Get the watch you like with a proven movement and be happy. Most of the ETA movements, regardless of grade can be regulated to near COSC standards, anyway. Case in point - Damasko uses mostly chronometer grade ETA movements and they are regularly within COSC specs from the factory.

Good luck and enjoy that new watch!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Nice article (Tissot-chronometer) off of Bloomberg
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-notch-watches
Appreciate 0