E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #925
lesliew
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i Sports+Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliew View Post
I thought that was just a case of inputting the 20 digit number into the CIC with the controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's only applicable to the maps DVDs.
Thats what I was talking about
      06-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #926
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Thats what I was talking about
If you change your VIN you will have to change all FSC codes as well.
The CAN emulator will not help here
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #927
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Here's a terrible iPhone shot of the FSC request screen:

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #928
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
If you change your VIN you will have to change all FSC codes as well.
The CAN emulator will not help here
Patrys I was not talking about changing the vehicles VIN

The CIC emulator is proof that the car doesn't really care about about what VIN is loaded in the CIC.

But what we are currently talking about is changing the VIN in the 'CIC' using winkfp or whatever tool maybe capable of doing it.

I then suggested that in theory if this did work there is no reason why we couldn't write that VIN number to other CIC's. We then enable the maps by entering the 20 digit enabling code through the interface provided by BMW.

The CIC would be validating the enabling code against its own VIN.

We would/could basically end up creating cloned CIC's that are programmed with a donor VIN and would work with a device such as the CIC Emulator. The map enabling code could then be 'shared' by many people.

Now of course you guys have far more knowledge than me about the various BMW tools and I will definitely take your advice and heed your warnings.

Just theorizing and exploring possibilities
      06-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #929
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:

The CIC emulator is proof that the car doesn't really care about about what VIN is loaded in the CIC.

But what we are currently talking about is changing the VIN in the 'CIC' using winkfp or whatever tool maybe capable of doing it.

I then suggested that in theory if this did work there is no reason why we couldn't write that VIN number to other CIC's. We then enable the maps by entering the 20 digit enabling code through the interface provided by BMW.

We would/could basically end up creating cloned CIC's that are programmed with a donor VIN and would work with a device such as the CIC Emulator. The map enabling code could then be 'shared' by many people.

Now of course you guys have far more knowledge than me about the various BMW tools and I will definitely take your advice and heed your warnings.

I know what you were talking about
My comment was related to the VIN change in the CIC...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #930
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
I know what you were talking about
My comment was related to the VIN change in the CIC...
OK, then I don't understand your comment about changing all FSC's
      06-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #931
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I would guess that changing the VIN in the CIC is what the FSC does, by encryption. If it were so easy to change the VIN then there would be no emulators or FSC... the VIN is the FSC.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #932
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:

The only reason is that they wouldn't get any money out of these retrofits.

And patrys, that is not directed at you so much as it is directed at MEN and the russian bastard. I just have an issue with people learning off of other people and piecing information together from people who shared, then being unwilling to share themselves.
      06-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #933
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would guess that changing the VIN in the CIC is what the FSC does, by encryption. If it were so easy to change the VIN then there would be no emulators or FSC... the VIN is the FSC.
That's not the impression I got...I'll have to find the PDF somewhere but IIRC the FSC is more like an encrypted VIN signed with BMW's private key....which the CIC has also.

Therefore, as long as the VIN in the FSC matches the VIN in the CIC, and as long as the two private keys match, you're golden. So if you could get the CIC to have the same VIN as the FSC you have access to, in theory it may work.
      06-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #934
lesliew
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think I understand your train of thought, ........ so how far does this differ from the service that patrys offers. I'm just throwing that out there, Isn't this effectively what he is doing with used CIC's.

And before I say anything else I'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way or put anyone out of business I just enjoy the challenge.

Last edited by lesliew; 06-24-2010 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #935
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
The only reason is that they wouldn't get any money out of these retrofits.

And patrys, that is not directed at you so much as it is directed at MEN and the russian bastard. I just have an issue with people learning off of other people and piecing information together from people who shared, then being unwilling to share themselves.
I don't know why some of you think that I came over to the dark side just because I don't explain everything to everyone.

As you noticed I became a vendor on this board a few weeks ago.
I don't think you would expect other vendors to disclose details of their know-how, partners they work with or anything else their business is based on.

As you can see in my posts I am trying to help you to some extent, but don't expect from me something you wouldn't hear from other vendors.

Before I started to offer my services on this forum people who knew how to activate the CIC Navigation were only teasing us and did not even want to be paid for their help.
I hope you can see a difference in my attitude even though I do business on what I have learnt.

Just FYI, MEN is my business partner, so treat him as a vendor as well.

Sorry for the off topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #936
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's not the impression I got...I'll have to find the PDF somewhere but IIRC the FSC is more like an encrypted VIN signed with BMW's private key....which the CIC has also.

Therefore, as long as the VIN in the FSC matches the VIN in the CIC, and as long as the two private keys match, you're golden. So if you could get the CIC to have the same VIN as the FSC you have access to, in theory it may work.
When you flash an used CIC (loaded with the donor's VIN FSC) with a new FSC of the VIN of your choice in fact you are changing the VIN of that used CIC. When you read a CIC you will see the VIN, but that must be either decoded from the FSC or it is the VIN from the car showing in the CIC screen. A new CIC does not have any FSC loaded, its variable says NOT_EXISTENT.

I don't think that you will see a VIN packet/data in the CIC that it is in a non-encrypted form.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #937
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think I understand your train of thought, ........ so how far does this differ from the service that patrys offers. I'm just throwing that out there, Isn't this effectively what he is doing with used CIC's.

And before I say anything else I'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way or put anyone out of business I just enjoy the challenge.
That's Patrys service... he's taking your VIN and loading it (FSC) into a CIC, either new or used. So when your car perform the CAN VIN handshake with the CIC they match.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #938
lesliew
Private
Rep

Sounds to me like we ARE one the right track then.
      06-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #939
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
Sounds to me like we ARE one the right track then.
It is not very simple, it is necessary to spend some years to study it
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #940
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why some of you think that I came over to the dark side just because I don't explain everything to everyone.

As you noticed I became a vendor on this board a few weeks ago.
I don't think you would expect other vendors to disclose details of their know-how, partners they work with or anything else their business is based on.

As you can see in my posts I am trying to help you to some extent, but don't expect from me something you wouldn't hear from other vendors.

Before I started to offer my services on this forum people who knew how to activate the CIC Navigation were only teasing us and did not even want to be paid for their help.
I hope you can see a difference in my attitude even though I do business on what I have learnt.

Just FYI, MEN is my business partner, so treat him as a vendor as well.

Sorry for the off topic.

Patrys, please note I specifically said that above post wasn't directed at you. I do appreciate the insight you've given, and you have been much more helpful than the other two.

Quote:
When you flash an used CIC (loaded with the donor's VIN FSC) with a new FSC of the VIN of your choice in fact you are changing the VIN of that used CIC. When you read a CIC you will see the VIN, but that must be either decoded from the FSC or it is the VIN from the car showing in the CIC screen. A new CIC does not have any FSC loaded, its variable says NOT_EXISTENT.

I don't think that you will see a VIN packet/data in the CIC that it is in a non-encrypted form.
Are you positive the VIN is not stored in clear text in the ECU? I was fairly certain each ECU has the VIN coded to it as well.

It's still possible that it uses the FSC to match against what the car provides, but it's also possible that it uses the FSC against what the CIC itself has stored as the car's ECU.

Either way, if we could get a hold of a) the FSC for one that works and b) the method to load the FSC and C) stop the CAN packet, it should work and be repeatable.
      06-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #941
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Patrys, please note I specifically said that above post wasn't directed at you. I do appreciate the insight you've given, and you have been much more helpful than the other two.

Are you positive the VIN is not stored in clear text in the ECU? I was fairly certain each ECU has the VIN coded to it as well - for instance, if you have an incorrect VIN it may reject the ecu.

It's still possible that it uses the FSC to match against what the car provides, but it's also possible that it uses the FSC against what the CIC itself has stored as the car's ECU.

Either way, if we could get a hold of a) the FSC for one that works and b) the method to load the FSC and C) stop the CAN packet, it should work and be repeatable.
That's OK. I am cool
I did not direct my message specifically at you either.
Just wanted everyone here to look at the "issue" from a different angle.

Back to the topic...
Changing the VIN in the CIC is as much complicated as loading the FSC.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #942
lesliew
Private
Rep

D-can cable and the infamous BMW E-sys tool, maybe.
      06-25-2010, 05:00 AM   #943
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
D-can cable and the infamous BMW E-sys tool, maybe.

BMW E-sys tool - only for F-series: F01, F10 ext
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #944
Renming
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My local dealer told me they can order the FSC code for Voice control and I got the P/N here: Voice activation: 0017 65902163073 they said this is a one off delivery code specially generated by BMW NZ and will not issue it again.

Also question for Technic, I am struggling to find the correct FSC P/N. Although I got two P/N here:
Navi application code: 0019 65902163072 ($710NZD) they said this is a one off delivery code specially generated by BMW NZ and will not issue it again.
Navi enable code free: 001B 65902163187 (they said this is a free one)
:CIC intial code for Oceania 2010: 65902159283 (They said this one will work ) but I think this one is just FSC for map.

How many did you order in order to get your navigation working? and what was the dissipation for each FSC code you ordered?

Last edited by Renming; 07-07-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #945
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renming View Post
My local dealer told me they can order the FSC code for Voice control and I got the P/N here: Voice activation: 0017 65902163073 they said this is a one off delivery code specially generated by BMW NZ and will not issue it again.

Also question for Technic, I am struggling to find the correct FSC P/N. Although I got two P/N here:
Navi application code: 0019 65902163072 ($710NZD) they said this is a one off delivery code specially generated by BMW NZ and will not issue it again.
:CIC intial code for Oceania 2010: 65902159283 (They said this one will work ) but I think this one is just FSC for map.

How many did you order in order to get your navigation working? and what was the dissipation for each FSC code you ordered?
Those P/N should be correct for your country as the Application ID for CIC is listed correctly:

App-ID 0017 = CIC Voice Recognition Repair Code
App-ID 0019 = CIC Navigation Repair/Retrofit Code HB
App-ID 001B = CIC Navigation Enabler Repair/Retrofit Code HB
App-ID ???? = CIC Map Oceania 2010 Repair Code

I ordered 0019 and 001B to enable Nav and 002D for the North America 2010 maps.

Do you have the price of that 0017 P/N?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #946
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renming View Post

As discussed you need all 3 codes for the Navigation. There is no other way.
Appreciate 0