E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traction Control....On or Off???

07-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Traction Control....On or Off???

Just curious how many of you turn this off or keep it on for daily driving. Weather permitting of course. Does it really make a difference in dry conditions for some extra power??? I have a 2011 E91 RWD with mods for more power/performance. I haven’t really messed with turning it on and off yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Push the button
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Doesn't boost your car's HP when you turn it off traction control. Unless you're doing burnouts, street racing, at the 1/4 track, or at an autocross, it's better to turn it off.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i would keep it on for daily driving...unless your chris harris or sebastial vettel
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Sometimes I'll bump mine once (disable TCS) if I'm going for a spirited drive. I'll usually keep the DSC on though, just in case my perceived skills exceed those of my actual.

I don't think it affects power, I just like a little wheel spin before the nanny's b*tch when I'm pushing her.

Typically I leave it alone (all systems go) if I'm just driving to work or the store, because, well it doesn't matter one bit if you're just putting around.
      07-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Cool thanks guys. Gonna do some “spirited” driving later and will press the button!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
jay-rock
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

I thought you would want to hold the button for 3 seconds to turn it all off?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Pushing it once doesnt turn it off - it just puts it in non-soccer mom mode.

Holding it down turns it off. But normally, thats not reccomended.

I almost always drive with the DSC button pressed, I just find the default mode annoying (and sometimes dangerous when pulling into traffic).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

I almost always drive with the DSC button pressed, I just find the default mode annoying (and sometimes dangerous when pulling into traffic).
“Non-soccer Mom mode” Definitely don’t want that!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
Quickbricky
Rep
Drives: 325d coupe e92

Quote:

Agree with this one mate, full traction control is shocking
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was under the impression that pushing the button once disabled the TCS (traction control system) - this let's you spin the wheels a little bit without the nannies interfering. I do this at times because it keeps TCS out of the way during hard acceleration, especially if you're driving over bumpy surfaces. And then HOLDING the button down can disable both TCS and DSC (dynamic stability control), which is what kicks in when you are more along the lines of 'spinning out' or completely losing control in a lateral fashion. I'd keep that one on, personally, unless I was on a race track, or a big parking lot.

Is this not correct?
      07-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

A single press of the button will reduce DSC, while retaining 'traction' control. A full press will turn everything off; or at least as off as it's going to get.

I remember having this discussion/debate with colleagues of mine at BMW. From what I recall I did some research at that point in time, and this was the conclusion I arrived at.

Anecdotal experience tells me this is true as well. Where I live there's snow on the ground about 8-9 months of the year, so opportunity abounds to test this stuff on quiet streets. I did a lot of "testing" when I had my 340

Someone please let me know if I'm wrong here. It's totally possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
I was under the impression that pushing the button once disabled the TCS (traction control system) - this let's you spin the wheels a little bit without the nannies interfering. I do this at times because it keeps TCS out of the way during hard acceleration, especially if you're driving over bumpy surfaces. And then HOLDING the button down can disable both TCS and DSC (dynamic stability control), which is what kicks in when you are more along the lines of 'spinning out' or completely losing control in a lateral fashion. I'd keep that one on, personally, unless I was on a race track, or a big parking lot.

Is this not correct?
It is not a "correct" description. Please use Search to find full discussions.

Pushing the button Once *ENABLES* the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) mode (that is what the button is named). It essentially raises the limits on wheel-spin, it does not "disable" anything: traction control and stability control are still fully enabled.

Holding the button for 5 or so seconds disables traction and stability control. I believe that ABS is still enabled.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just checked out my manual and it is a little, confusing - but I think I've figured it out, lol.

Hold the button to turn off DSC completely.
Push the button to turn on DTC (DSC is still on). Enabling DTC will allow a little more wheel spin than DSC normally does. This feature is mostly there for driving in snow, but obviously the extra spin allowed goes a long way during hard driving.
      07-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

Pushing the button Once *ENABLES* the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) mode (that is what the button is named). It essentially raises the limits on wheel-spin, it does not "disable" anything: traction control and stability control are still fully enabled.

Holding the button for 5 or so seconds disables traction and stability control. I believe that ABS is still enabled.
Although I was incorrect in assuming what was "turned on or off," the actual results are the same, so whatever. Thanks for clarifying, though.
      07-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

You're completely correct that DTC is a distinct mode, but to say that DSC is still fully enabled is a bit misleading in my opinion. Yes, it is still active, but it does not intervene with the same willingness as it would with fully nanny mode driving. BMW's Technology Guide confirms this. I've got a copy from my time working there, but the guide below appears to be identical so I've posted a link.

Tech guide explanation

ABS is still very much enabled. There is nothing we can do to disable it from inside the car.

To clarify: during full-systems-on driving, DSC cuts in way before I can start any kind of a drift, but not with DTC mode. It sounds like in DTC it will intervene if things get sketchy, but as long as the vehicle is doing what it appears the driver is intending it to, it does not step in.

Last edited by e90yyc; 07-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: added
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

When you see the lights blink while you're driving spiritedly, you probably screwed up.

Leave it on unless you're trying to do burn outs or drifts. It'll save your ass in ways you can't imagine if you fuck up driving through the turns. It is much better/faster than you at correcting mistakes.

Unless you're HPDE certified (and even those guys still wreck without DSC) or you're ok with a higher risk of wrecking your car from driver error, leave DSC on.
      07-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #18
aj44mc
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

at my own discredit, i would suggest not completely disabling the DTC. I did this and now have a whole new front passenger suspension because the the rear got away from me a lot faster then I had expected and I ended up on a curb.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just think it's hilarious that people are so afraid of driving cars without TC. You have to be HDPE certified now? (what does that even mean?) When I was 16 all I needed was $100 and to pass a menial driving test, but people weren't afraid of their own shadow then either..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
I just think it's hilarious that people are so afraid of driving cars without TC. You have to be HDPE certified now? (what does that even mean?) When I was 16 all I needed was $100 and to pass a menial driving test, but people weren't afraid of their own shadow then either..
I am not High-Density Polyethylene certified, but I have been known to dabble in the dark art that is DSC-free driving...

Like always, I make sure to wear my bubble suit, a helmet, and a life jacket.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
When I was 16 my car didn't even have TC. But it also didn't have 400hp.

Turn it all off on the track. Do dangerous stuff there.

When you're on public roads, you probably shouldn't be doing anything that causes DTC to flash at you. That being said, full DSC is annoying and arguably sometimes dangerous (for skilled drivers) on dry public roads. I use cruise control too frequently to always drive in DTC mode
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #22
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

meh - they didn't weigh 2 tons either, you didn't need 400hp to break them loose.
Appreciate 0