E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Footwell Module Question

06-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Mike Atkisson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Footwell Module Question

I recently purchased a 335i and am learning a lot about the car from searching the forums.

The car was purchased through a dealer auction and said no key on window, but did have a brand new key. Issue was the key would not start the car.
Sent the modules off the be matched up and thought I would give the battery a fresh charge. Put the modules back in the car and it started, but I lost lots of other functions. Long story short, it appears I may have fried the FRM. I have a 2011 328i parts car so we swapped the FRM from it into the 335 and I got some features to work. The car did have a burned out right front headlight bulb, so I don't know if I fried the module or if the short counter maxed out. The tool my friend has on his phone did not see the original module, but does see the replacement.

Big question I have is should I put the original module back in the car and see if I can reset the short counter or should I recode the replacement module to match the car? I have the VM image with lots of tools and my friend has the correct cable so what will be the easiest and fastest fix?
If I cannot figure out the tools, I am considering trying to have the module reset remotely.

Sorry for rambling.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Don't do any of those, put original unit back into the car and take it to the dealer. Frm module is covered under a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty. I assume you're under both of those so you can take the car in and get it replaced for free. In the case that it is not do the following below.

If you replaced the frm3 module with another frm3 module, you must code the unit to the car. To do this, you must copy VO from CAS module and write it to frm3. After, you must code the frm3 module. If you've replaced the low beam bulb and it still does not power on and you've ruled out the xenon control module that powers the low beam, then you must reset short circuit counter.

To reset short circuit counter load up tool32, choose frm_70.prg, find _reset_kurzschluss_sperre, in argument box type in "0x02" for low beam left or "0x03" for low beam right. Then go to the top and choose job and start job once. That will reset short circuit counter and power on the light.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
Mike Atkisson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Thank you for the reply. The car is a 2010 with 124K miles so I think it is still covered under the warranty. Problem I have is the car is not registered to me yet. I needed to clear all the faults and have a clean OBD scan before I can transfer the title into my name.

I replaced the bulb today and it does light up. The options on the currently installed module are not correct as that car has halogen lights (causes headlights to strobe when car is running).

I currently have no turn signals or hazards and mirror controls are inop. Windows were acting up at first, but seem fine now.

Will try to recode module that was swapped into the car tomorrow and see if that improves things.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Atkisson View Post
Thank you for the reply. The car is a 2010 with 124K miles so I think it is still covered under the warranty. Problem I have is the car is not registered to me yet. I needed to clear all the faults and have a clean OBD scan before I can transfer the title into my name.

I replaced the bulb today and it does light up. The options on the currently installed module are not correct as that car has halogen lights (causes headlights to strobe when car is running).

I currently have no turn signals or hazards and mirror controls are inop. Windows were acting up at first, but seem fine now.

Will try to recode module that was swapped into the car tomorrow and see if that improves things.
I would bet the short circuit counter is maxed regarding the bulb that won't light up.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Mike Atkisson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Well, it looks like one module is currently bricked but I have a "spare" FRM3R module I swapped in.

I attempted to follow this step-by-step video to recode the Spare module but keep getting an error when using NCSExpert.

Can someone verify that the procedures he posted at the end are correct?
I got everything to work except the final coding (well, I get an error but it looks like it worked}.

Last edited by Mike Atkisson; 07-16-2020 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #6
Mike Atkisson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Well, I picked CAS and selected CAS for ECu and got different results today. I then chose NRFM and NRFM and told it code and it said it was successful.

Now on my little display in instrument cluster I am seeing a lot of errors scroll by. Headlights come on and do not flicker anymore so it looks like something worked.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
Mike Atkisson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I finally got all of the codes cleared and have one last issue.

The headlights are just not playing nice. I get an indicator inside the car the high beams are on, but nothing on the outside. I also noticed the halos are not lit at all. Getting errors for headlight motors too.

I did decode my VIN and the car is supposed to have;
S524 Adaptive Headlights
S563 Light package
S522 Xenon Light

Any ideas where to check for the issue?

My previous issue with turns not working is because one of the connectors was loose. Ooops.
Appreciate 0