E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 320i N46 coolant bleed not working

06-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
aussie280
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy BMW135i/M

E90 320i N46 coolant bleed not working

E90 320I N46 coolant bleed test won't work
Hi guys,

I've been having issues with my cooling system. There was a small plate a back of engine with 2 o rings that needed replacing. Took it to local rad shop and they replaced it. They said sorry after further testing you also have a blown head gasket they ended up putting in the additive to try and see if it seals the head. Picked the car up and no heating in car. I rang the shop and they didn't want to know about it, saying I have a blown head gasket and thats the reason. I find out they didn't do the bmw bleed procedure or a vacuum fill. Everything was working fine before I went to shop.

Anyway I could have a blown HG sure but I wanted to bleed system to make sure no air in system first because if heater isn't working then there is still air in system.

So followed instructions.
Press key fob into ignition, turn on ignition, don't touch brake, turn heater temp to full, fan speed to 1 and press /hold accelerator pedal for 10 seconds. I then get a type of clicking sound under the bonnet to the right side of engine bay then nothing. Open filler cap, no fluid circulation. Tried procedure again a few times, watched YouTube to make sure I was doing it right but no change. Car charger was also connected and battery fullu charged.

Next observation. I open filler cap. Start engine Fluid still at full and notice a small stream of fluid coming into tank.

I turn the temp display on dash so I could see it rise and watch for the thermostat to open and water pump to kick in. I had cap off until 98c then it started to overflow so I tightened cap down. Watched temp go to 106c. Top rad hose hot, bottom cold. At 108c bottom hose only slightly warm. No fans turned on. I shut everything off.

I understand I could have blown HG but why doesn't my water pump start the test? Why dont I see the fluid circulation when the engine was on? I don't have oil/water cream mix in rad fluid or oil sump and don't have water spitting out the exhaust. The water level in fluid is constant at the moment but obviously not driving it.

I have Carly and get a 00A6CF aux error which is the air intake sensor for cabin air if Ive read it correctly but no other errors. Why did my rad fans not turn on? New rad installed 2 years ago.

I've ordered a coolant vacuum tool to do the bleed manually but wont get that for a few weeks.

Any other steps to take? I obviously don't want to replace a lot of things if the head gasket is gone but I want to see it for myself.

Its a PFL N46 320i

Cheers

Aussie280
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Campurt1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi bmw

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2006 bmw 325 i  [0.00]
i have the same problem, after having my coolant pump and thermostat replaced, but my water pump will not kick on, tried the bleeding process numerous times with no luck, curious if uever found out what was going on with your pump
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Knuppel
Private
Rep
Drives: E91

Been there done that.

The N46 has a mechanical coolant pump driven by the belt, so the bleeding procedure is different. Basically you fill it up with the bleeding screws open, then close the screws but leave the cap off. Start the engine and wait until you see coolant coming out of the small hose at the top of the reservoir, then close the cap. Leave the engine idle for a while, wait for it to cool down, and top off. The cap is self bleeding so trapt air will escape. You want the thermostat to open so make sure it reaches temperature (105 celsius?). Be prepared to top it off a few times, have a coolant bottle ready in your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

There is also the bleed screw on the oil cooler coolant hose. That is actually higher than the expansion tank and takes a bit longer to get up there. It doesn't usually bleed until the engine is half warmed up. This is done with the engine running and expansion tank cap shut of course, so be careful with the hot coolant and steam that will spit out.

N46 take ages to heat up but if the OBC is showing those temps then your heater should work unless the heater tap is cactus or heater core is clogged.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:26 AM   #5
Nikola090
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

People please help!!
Bmw e90 n46b20
How to properly vent the cooling system?
The refrigerator is new, the pump is new, the thermostat and sensors are new. The pump is mechanical.

Until what temperature should I wait?
It gets up to 95 degrees for me and I'm still afraid to wait.

Which screws to open and which to close?
Heating at max
Greetings from Croatia!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 02:14 PM   #6
meelicious
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320i

Hello I have bmw e90 2007

I replaced the thermostat and water pump, flushed the coolant and added new one. This BMW model has no electric water pump,right as it doesn't activate by turning on the heater and pressing the accelerator for 10 seconds So I tried opening the bleed screw and add coolant. I patiently waited to make the fluid stable and no bubbles visible. (Not sure if I did the right thing though). I closed the reservoir cap and started the engine. Temperature starting to increase. It reached 105degree celsius and slowly reach 108degree celcius. After 5mins it was at 110degree celcius so I turned it off. Is the temperature normal? If not what should I do? What is the maximum temperature for me to turn it off? Thanks
Appreciate 0