E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Best Halogen or LED for headlight

06-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #23
mathewd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

As you want the brightest, you should replace the headlights to HID or LED. Before that, you need to know whether it is legal or not in the road. But if you want, you can try one H11 Standard Halogen bulb by Philips.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #24
nikg736
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Reviving an old thread because I just joined forum last night, just got a used 2009 328i 4dr sedan yesterday. In great shape, 190k miles, paid under $5k.

So...yes I am part of the "those golden headlights look like candles, and I want mine to look whiter" club. But seeing as I paid less than $5k for the car and will likely only have it for a few years, I am also part of the "I don't want to pay $500-$700 for headlights" club.

Robust conversations earlier in this thread. Here's my thoughts.

*HID - in reflectors?...no. Just no.

*Halogen - any attempt to get whiter color typically results in two things. First, less lifespan of the bulb. They maybe last half as long. Second, reduced output due to the blue film they put on the bulbs. The whiter the color, the worse the output. Bulbs at 4k (give or take) have 5-15% less output. Get up towards 5k color and we are talking significant drop in output (30-40%).

*LED - Those who oppose this option claim reduced output (and maybe wrong cutoff thus blinding others) and maybe also lower lifespan depending on brand. Hmmmm...lower output and less lifespan? Where have I heard this before? (for those who have not had their coffee yet please move your eyeballs up one paragraph)

By now I think folks may be picking up on my point. A billion different brands, prices, claims etc. for LEDs. But I have to believe there are members here who have tried some and had acceptable results. I recognize they were never meant for halogen housings, but would they be any worse than a set of Diamond Vision bulbs?

Please reply with any success stories of reasonably priced LED bulbs that worked for you as high, low and angels. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #25
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikg736 View Post
Reviving an old thread because I just joined forum last night, just got a used 2009 328i 4dr sedan yesterday. In great shape, 190k miles, paid under $5k.

So...yes I am part of the "those golden headlights look like candles, and I want mine to look whiter" club. But seeing as I paid less than $5k for the car and will likely only have it for a few years, I am also part of the "I don't want to pay $500-$700 for headlights" club.

Robust conversations earlier in this thread. Here's my thoughts.

*HID - in reflectors?...no. Just no.

*Halogen - any attempt to get whiter color typically results in two things. First, less lifespan of the bulb. They maybe last half as long. Second, reduced output due to the blue film they put on the bulbs. The whiter the color, the worse the output. Bulbs at 4k (give or take) have 5-15% less output. Get up towards 5k color and we are talking significant drop in output (30-40%).

*LED - Those who oppose this option claim reduced output (and maybe wrong cutoff thus blinding others) and maybe also lower lifespan depending on brand. Hmmmm...lower output and less lifespan? Where have I heard this before? (for those who have not had their coffee yet please move your eyeballs up one paragraph)

By now I think folks may be picking up on my point. A billion different brands, prices, claims etc. for LEDs. But I have to believe there are members here who have tried some and had acceptable results. I recognize they were never meant for halogen housings, but would they be any worse than a set of Diamond Vision bulbs?

Please reply with any success stories of reasonably priced LED bulbs that worked for you as high, low and angels. Thanks
I also bought my car, a 2006 325xi Touring, as a stopgap, after my Saab 9-5 got wrecked in a hit and run. It's my first BMW, and I love it.

I currently run Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 H7 bulbs in my halogen low beams. The beam pattern matches the halogen pattern exactly and preserves the cutoff (which is surprisingly sharp for a halogen). I am very happy with the color temperature and light output. They're not cheap, but so far I am very satisfied. I bought them from the Retrofit Source. I also needed to buy and install the GTR PWM modules since my car, a 2006, uses PWM. I do not know about 2009's. Installation required me to cut a hole in the headlight dust covers and add an extension, which I did using JB weld. The PWM modules are fully potted and waterproof, so they are mounted to the exterior of the covering with the cables running into the housing.

Next up, I plan to buy another set of the same bulbs and modules and match my high beams/DRLs. The 2stroke 3.0's are unique among LED bulbs in that they can run at reduced voltage (as they do when used as DRL) without flickering. I will probably do that when it's warmer, since working on the car when the temp is in the 20's is unpleasant.

My car does not have angel eyes, but I understand that there are several options to add LED to those, with Lux Angel Eyes being the solution is see most here in the forums.

Last edited by smatanovic; 02-13-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #26
Tarasques
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

There are LED lights that you can easily install in your car. You can just glue them to the inside cover of the car, and it will stay there. It does not require any additional skills or something.
You can also find RGB color-changing light bulbs that will completely change the car's appearance. They are also easy to install, and the whole process will not require a lot of time or an electrician.
You should be careful. After all, not all the LEDs are allowed to be installed on a car because some of them are too bright and can blind drivers in other cars.

Last edited by Tarasques; 05-16-2022 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #27
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Just get Silverstar halogens or the equivalent from Osram if you are looking for something slightly brighter and whiter. Don't get anything overly gimmicky/blue-tinted as you're just reducing the overall light output. Use gloves when you install them, as the oil from your fingers can cause them to burn out faster than they normally would (and they already will have a shorter life than a standard halogen).

Most LED bulbs in a reflector housing are going to throw light unevenly on the road. This is because the reflector housing wasn't designed for LED bulbs, which -- like the photo earlier in the thread -- have a CSP on each side and don't project light all the way around. The CSP may also not be the same length out from the base of the bulb from where a halogen filament would be. So while the bulb itself will be brighter than a halogen, what it means for you is it is brighter, say, 5 feet in front of you but less bright 25 feet in front of you compared to a halogen. You are also likely going to blind oncoming traffic running an LED in a reflector housing, as it is shooting light out everywhere but where you actually want it (again, because the reflector wasn't designed for that type of bulb). There are some exceptions to this, but finding an LED bulb that doesn't have these issues in a reflector is mostly luck.

Last edited by nthnthnthnth; 06-23-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0