E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My new Joying 8.8" project

06-06-2020, 02:55 AM   #45
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Well after waiting for 2 months for delivery of my unit from Joying in China it appears that it has been lost in the mail. I've contacted Joying and they will send another one.
More waiting ......
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #46
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
Well after waiting for 2 months for delivery of my unit from Joying in China it appears that it has been lost in the mail. I've contacted Joying and they will send another one.
More waiting ......
How long was it supposed to take? I ordered from their china warehouse too. They haven't shipped yet though.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #47
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I expected 4 weeks but then with COVID19 I allowed 8 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #48
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I expected 4 weeks but then with COVID19 I allowed 8 weeks.
damn daniel. covid throwing wrenches in everyones game.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #49
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Thx for sharing... if using digital outputs from the deck my comments don't apply, since the issue of RCA voltage and noise is moot.

BUT, if you are using the RCA outs, then the low voltage RCAs can become an issue, even if using a 3rd party DSP. Ultimately the gains will need to be raised on the amp, which will raise the level of noise too (vs. a high voltage RCA, where you keep gains and noise low).

But if you have the ability to go digital, then yes I've seen others have decent results with these cheaper products (though I haven't seen reviews on the E9x specific units when using digital output).

Cheers.
I am planning on just running their harness with the stock system. Not sure what connection type that results in, but it was more than adequate to my ears. You may be an audiophile and see different.
Yeah, you should be fine then. My comments were related to using the RCAs with upgraded aftermarket equipment (where these issues are more sensitive).

The people I know running it with the stock hifi system seem to be happy.
      06-07-2020, 10:55 PM   #50
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Yeah, you should be fine then. My comments were related to using the RCAs with upgraded aftermarket equipment (where these issues are more sensitive).

The people I know running it with the stock hifi system seem to be happy.
I'm really interested in running the digital out function and possibly upgrading all the speakers. I only have the 4 mid speakers, 2 tweeters and two subs right now. I would like to move towards 6 speakers, maybe 7 with 4 tweeters and the two subs. I'm not a big bass guy. I just don't know too much about the digital out function and all the hardware I'd need to optimize that. I'm starting to research now.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #51
Eturnulrs704
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 03 E39 540i

Ordered 7 of these.. hope they sound good. Was going to go with JL audio. But wanted to tray something new. Plus they cost less. And have higher rms.. hopefully the SQ is on point. Cause if they are...m oh boy. A 600hd amp on the mids will sound perfect with the 13w6v2 in the trunk
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #52
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnulrs704 View Post
Ordered 7 of these.. hope they sound good. Was going to go with JL audio. But wanted to tray something new. Plus they cost less. And have higher rms.. hopefully the SQ is on point. Cause if they are...m oh boy. A 600hd amp on the mids will sound perfect with the 13w6v2 in the trunk
Nice, so you will put 1 in the center dash, front doors, rear doors and rear deck? Definitely a good price. I'm still trying to learn but I only have the 4 mids but would like the 7 speakers plus 2 tweeters and the 2 subs.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #53
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've used Morels before in my home speaker builds - always have sounded great.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:06 AM   #54
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

ive been reading like crazy and I think once I get this unit I will look at just getting the match pp86dsp. I would convert the coaxial to optical and run it to the dsp. I wonder how much those two components alone will make a difference in sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #55
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I’m using a Focal speaker setup and love how they sound even with the stock business head unit

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #56
Eturnulrs704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nice, so you will put 1 in the center dash, front doors, rear doors and rear deck? Definitely a good price. I'm still trying to learn but I only have the 4 mids but would like the 7 speakers plus 2 tweeters and the 2 subs.
Yes. I'm replacing every speaker. Also going to add a tweeter to the center and see what it sounds like. Really don't want to use a coax. Right now I only have front stage because I have the HiFi with optical. And the adapter only has front channel. But I'm working on an adapter for the harness to give me plug n play access to all speaking wiring. Currently refreshing my suspension. Once I'm done with maintenance I will tackle the audio build. Shouldn't be long maybe a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #57
Eturnulrs704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've used Morels before in my home speaker builds - always have sounded great.
Good to know.. I've heard nothing but good about them.. they seem to be what I need. Which ones do you have?

Which tweets are those. ?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #58
Eturnulrs704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
ive been reading like crazy and I think once I get this unit I will look at just getting the match pp86dsp. I would convert the coaxial to optical and run it to the dsp. I wonder how much those two components alone will make a difference in sound quality.
Optical single to a dsp will always be better since it's a cleaner single.. the problem lies in getting the optical to the DSP. Can be done but most solutions are pretty expensive. Me I choose to just replace everything and start fresh..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #59
Eturnulrs704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’m using a Focal speaker setup and love how they sound even with the stock business head unit

Nice. Did you top mount with adapter or back mount?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #60
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Optical single to a dsp will always be better since it's a cleaner single.. the problem lies in getting the optical to the DSP. Can be done but most solutions are pretty expensive. Me I choose to just replace everything and start fresh..
Sorry, I don't understand why it's difficult. The Joying head unit has a digital coaxial out. The only issue I see is that the match dsp has an optical digital in so there would need to be a conversion for coaxial digital to optical. Otherwise, I believe the two changes on the stock speakers would be a nice starting point to find weaknesses and upgrade in phases.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #61
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand why it's difficult. The Joying head unit has a digital coaxial out. The only issue I see is that the match dsp has an optical digital in so there would need to be a conversion for coaxial digital to optical. Otherwise, I believe the two changes on the stock speakers would be a nice starting point to find weaknesses and upgrade in phases.
Yeah Spidif to optical is not that expensive... sure there are crazy expensive ones out there but decent ones can be had for less than $50.

My problem is having that god awful looking head unit... I think it would look pretty ugly on an e9x dash... and be too low to be useful... Unless you were able to hide the head unit and run the ribbon up to a hump or f30 style, but then you have an ugly silver box in your 1.5 din opening???

I like the clean looks of OEM, anything else typically looks very out of place in a BMW with a couple exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #62
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Yeah Spidif to optical is not that expensive... sure there are crazy expensive ones out there but decent ones can be had for less than $50.

My problem is having that god awful looking head unit... I think it would look pretty ugly on an e9x dash... and be too low to be useful... Unless you were able to hide the head unit and run the ribbon up to a hump or f30 style, but then you have an ugly silver box in your 1.5 din opening???

I like the clean looks of OEM, anything else typically looks very out of place in a BMW with a couple exceptions.
Yeah, I agree with you. I think something mounted higher like where the idrive screen is would be best. Unfortunately the units that have that run off of aux and apparently sound super shit. The other option are the model specific units that relocate the climate control and remove the stock HU. I don't like how these model specific units move everything lower and the viewing angle is definitely not ergonomic. The best compromise I think is how the 1 series guys have done it with the Joying units. Let's you mount it over the trim and higher than the model specific units. Also, no relocating of climate control and seat heater buttons. I really don't like the relocating of climate controls.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...5&postcount=14

The joying units do have an option for an extended cable for the screen if someone was to go full retard and hide the HU say in the glove box and run the screen ribbon to the upper dash. i don't even know how both units could be retained but its certainly a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #63
Eturnulrs704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post

The unit can be adapted to sit higher with pins in back.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #64
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you. I think something mounted higher like where the idrive screen is would be best. Unfortunately the units that have that run off of aux and apparently sound super shit. The other option are the model specific units that relocate the climate control and remove the stock HU. I don't like how these model specific units move everything lower and the viewing angle is definitely not ergonomic. The best compromise I think is how the 1 series guys have done it with the Joying units. Let's you mount it over the trim and higher than the model specific units. Also, no relocating of climate control and seat heater buttons. I really don't like the relocating of climate controls.

The joying units do have an option for an extended cable for the screen if someone was to go full retard and hide the HU say in the glove box and run the screen ribbon to the upper dash. i don't even know how both units could be retained but its certainly a possibility.
Interesting... I wonder what we could get away with in our cars... I guess that looks better than I thought... that is the wide narrow screen... the 9" or 10 would probably block the A/C vents.

Yeah all those AVIN units that piggyback off the aux are trash, the look is cool and the way it mimics ID7 and so on is nice, but the aux-in is a dealbreaker... and most guys on here have no idea what quality audio even sounds like... so all they see if flashy apps. I'm looking for quality audio 1st... so maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel for this android units... Especially if you are going to replace the amp at the same time and go with something like the match or A/F.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #65
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The unit can be adapted to sit higher with pins in back.

Not enough for what I am looking for... I don't want to look down or cover the vents, just looks too tacky in my opinion. I could totally make a housing to fit the upper dash vent/center speaker location but then you still have a very ugly silver H/U without a face... maybe you could take the stock H/U face off and cover the joying unit... either way none of it is ideal in keeping a stock or OEM+ looking interior.

I've done a bunch of high-end systems in my BMW's and Mini's and always retained the stock H/U for a clean look... Aftermarket no matter how good it is still looks cheesy IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #66
dan4081
2009 E90 328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:

I really like how that looks in the 1 series.
I'm still very curious how an Alpine or this sony would look in a E9'.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-...ers/xav-ax8000
Appreciate 0