E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Engine swap RWD to AWD

02-11-2024, 12:01 PM   #1
Eclypse619
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i e92 n54

Engine swap RWD to AWD

Hey guys, I've got a few questions and maybe someone can answer me sorry for my bad English in the first place,

I got a little project ongoing and I need your help.
I own 2 bmw 335i n54 e92 with am automatic transmission and one of it is a 335xi and the other is a 335i

The engine from the XI is completely done.
And the normal RWD got many problems just not the engine and transmission.

Maybe u understand now what I mean

I want to swap the n54 RWD to the XI one but I also want to "delete" the AWD from the XI model but I don't know what I have to change or if there will be problems if I just put in the engine with transmission from the RWD into the AWD car

I just wonder if the engine mounts fit and if the transmission will just fit and if the front axle u know the shocks and so on will fit and just you know like plug and play

But I also wonder if I can "delete" the x drive software so I dont cat any errorcodes

Maybe you guys can give me some information I need some info's but didn't.fins anything about differences etc.

But you will hopefully be abled to help me

Thx in advance

(If this is not the right place for this thread it would be coop if a moderator can move it��)

Last edited by Eclypse619; 02-12-2024 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:27 AM   #2
PhaceN52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 N52B30 US spec

If you swap engine and transmission from the rwd to the awd one I think you should swap the front subrame too so it will be lighter, the front knuckles, the driveshaft, differential and so on... suspension, subframe (so engine), differential should be plug and play and yes, then you can code the car to rwd, but it seems there are some tricky things to consider:

"The transmission mounting points are different, there's a spot where the tunnel is clearanced to make room for the transfer case. That's not insurmountable, you basically will have to fabricate a transmission mount that uses the holes that the xDrive transmission mount does.

The ABS system is also different, which is trickier than it appears on the surface. You'll have to harvest the lines and the abs pump out of the donor."

from this topic https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987220

The steering rack has a different ratio but if you swap the subframe you can swap the rack

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1603231

do an extensive search on the forum, but if you have some time and fab skills it should be doable
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      02-12-2024, 07:46 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Yes, not a problem at all to do so. Swap the whole drivetrain, driveshaft, front subframe and do appropriate coding and it'll be like it came that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 12:20 AM   #4
Eclypse619
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i e92 n54

Ty guys for your answers
I will take a look at this stuff and maybe I find a solution I live in Germany so I have to consider a lot more stuff then just plug and play everything because the state is crazy about its regulations and so on

But thx for the help

Maybe I will keep it awd if I get everything for it like front diff and drivetrain

I will keep you updated if anything new appears to happen
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

in video, this guy essentially did the same thing. Very detailed videos .

See the whole playlist, not only this vid...

Appreciate 0