E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Tune with DPF only

06-17-2020, 02:34 AM   #1
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Tune with DPF only

Looking around for a tuner that can turn off EGR, and delete SCR DEF so I can run a DPF back exhaust. I’m in California and was considering a full exhaust but decided against it because of the smell and noise. Then I was considering gutting the DPF except for the cat but I still need an intact DPF to pass emissions testing. I also don’t really want to take the DPF on and off because it’s a real bitch. I’ve spoken to all the tuners on here and nobody has a clear answer for what I’m looking for. BRR doesn’t do partial deletes. Malone said they can do a 2.5 tune but at my own risk. Not going with a JBD again so please don’t even mention it. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I've done a lot of research on these cars and I still have yet to see someone else retain only the DPF. Seems to be that the only two options are deleting only the EGR or a full system delete. Either way you will still fail emissions testing because with any of the three systems tuned out the readiness monitors will always show as NOT READY.

I suggest you find a way to pass emissions and delete the whole system. Man up about the "noise and smell" and think of it as POWER
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:18 AM   #3
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Noobie View Post
I've done a lot of research on these cars and I still have yet to see someone else retain only the DPF. Seems to be that the only two options are deleting only the EGR or a full system delete. Either way you will still fail emissions testing because with any of the three systems tuned out the readiness monitors will always show as NOT READY.

I suggest you find a way to pass emissions and delete the whole system. Man up about the "noise and smell" and think of it as POWER
I’ll work on my manhood but the whole point of leaving the dpf in place and going with a tune is being able to swap everything after it with ease, to go back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Well if the urea in the DEF system is just sitting stagnant for two years at a time it will probably crystallize.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Tuning a 335D with a DPF in place is an exercise in futility. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the service life on that DPF will be cut by anywhere from 50 to 90%, depending on how hot you go.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
Tuning a 335D with a DPF in place is an exercise in futility. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the service life on that DPF will be cut by anywhere from 50 to 90%, depending on how hot you go.
This ^

Just delete it... you won't regret it. You'll probably have an easier time finding a buyer with it deleted vs not deleted too
      06-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #7
Drews2k
Rep
Drives: 73mini//03cooperS//330XDe90

In the USA you guys usually do a bunch ok miles on autobahn, I don’t see a problem to tune the car with the dpf on. If the tune is correctly done you will get same amount or less ash than stock into your dpf.

I don’t know exactly how do they test the smog in the USA but it should be ok Removing dpf if you keep the rest of the exhaust stock.

If the tuner knows how to, the readiness can appear ready.

Another trick is to drill 2 inch holes into the dpf internal ceramic.

Hope It helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews2k View Post
In the USA you guys usually do a bunch ok miles on autobahn, I don’t see a problem to tune the car with the dpf on. If the tune is correctly done you will get same amount or less ash than stock into your dpf.

I don’t know exactly how do they test the smog in the USA but it should be ok Removing dpf if you keep the rest of the exhaust stock.

If the tuner knows how to, the readiness can appear ready.

Another trick is to drill 2 inch holes into the dpf internal ceramic.

Hope It helps.

I removed the EGR and had it tuned out and I have soot in my tail pipes now. Who knows what the hell is going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Find a county where you can renew registration sans smog. In other words do a full delete and get a catted exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #10
Davll
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

I've had both JR Stage 2.0 and Malone Stage 2.0 on my 35ds with DPF enabled but EGR/SCR disabled, as I'm not fond of the exhaust particulate smells. Pretty much smells like stock with just the DPF on.

The tunes are milder than the DPF delete tunes, but still more than enough power for my needs, and deleting the EGR/SCR takes care of the most problematic parts of the emissions system.
Appreciate 0