E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Trace Files & Reading ECU Modules with NCS Expert

08-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
danmcq
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M Sport

Question Trace Files & Reading ECU Modules with NCS Expert

I'm trying to understand how the trace files generated by NCS Expert work. So after selecting my chassis (e89) and then 'CAS' from NCS Expert, a FSW_PSW.trc file is generated in the 'WORK' folder. I thought this was supposed to contain the current values read from the ECU, but upon inspecting this file, I see that none of the options which I have previously coded to my car (and which work fine) are reflected. I assume that the values in this initially generated trace file are the defaults for my vehicle. Is this correct? I am aware that if I go a step further with NCS Expert and select an individual module, followed by the 'Read ECU' command that the FSW_PSW.trc file generated *does* contain the correct, current values for my car from that specific module.

What I would like to know is - how can I generate a FSW_PSW.trc file which contains all the *current* values for all modules? Is this possible? Sorry if my phrasing of this question is difficult to understand - I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the coding terminology and whatnot.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Yes. The first initial read by NCS gives a full Trc file of your car. Now I've never seen an issue where NCS didn't report the correct TRC file with changed values...
Don note:
Changing options and coding the module with the "expert mode" profile will retain "stock" settings in your trc file.
Can you verify the coding was done with features working?
      08-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
danmcq
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Changing options and coding the module with the "expert mode" profile will retain "stock" settings in your trc file.
Can you verify the coding was done with features working?
I have been using a modified version of the Expertmode profile to do my coding. Perhaps using a different profile will solve my issues? Any idea if I could edit the options in the profile I'm using to get the desired functionality?

All the coding I have done works without issue. For example, I coded the in-dash digital speedo which works fine, but in the initial FSW_PSW.MAN file, BC_DIGITAL_V is not set to 'aktiv'. However, If I pull the specific KOMBI module, the resulting FSW_PSW.MAN files shows all the correct (current) values, like BC_DIGITAL_V = aktiv.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Expertmode is not for custom coding. You need to have MAN profile. I can send you if you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
simster007
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
Expertmode is not for custom coding. You need to have MAN profile. I can send you if you want.
You wouldn't mind sending me a copy? Would help greatly!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:31 AM   #6
Pete7811
Rep
Drives: E60 & E90 LCI

I'd like to have a profile as well pls.
Appreciate 0