E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 328i brake upgrades?

05-14-2020, 12:36 AM   #23
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
F30 335/340 brakes are only a fraction bigger but a lot more expensive compared to E90 335 brakes.
Just get the E90 335 brakes. You can get used front caliper PAIR for $100 on eBay. Rebuilt front calipers are $140 each minus core charge ($70). Rebuilt rear calipers are $140 for pair. E90 335i rear brake shoes are the exact same as 328i/325i/330i.
Why else would you waste money on F30 335/340 brakes? Bigger rotor also means more mass to rotate and stop for acceleration and braking (tires).
This is a few years too late but as I'm combing through the forum to see what everyone has done for their brakes. I'd like to point out that, as far as I gather from RealOEM, @Soravia is right about that for the E90. For example, randomly picking a E90 325i vs a E90 335i of the same production date (09/2010 in this case). Everything seems to match up nicely in size/diameter etc.

But if you had an E92 (like me). Things starts to get rather complicated at the rear.
Rear is easy mod, and you got several options but done in a few hours and no issue on E92!

Get it done my friend!

E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #24
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i LCi

Hey @Seattlesquash, i was messaging @bluewater328 and he mentioned that you did the mod.

Well my situation is a little trickier + plus I'm lazy. What did you end up doing? I think I might just end up getting the fronts of the performance brakes and leave the rear as-is (replacement set).
I need everything to look OEM to get anywhere close to inspection here. But I'm sure the yellow fronts and the silver metallic rears will send tears everytime I think about it
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #25
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeks View Post
Hey @Seattlesquash, i was messaging @bluewater328 and he mentioned that you did the mod.

Well my situation is a little trickier + plus I'm lazy. What did you end up doing? I think I might just end up getting the fronts of the performance brakes and leave the rear as-is (replacement set).
I need everything to look OEM to get anywhere close to inspection here. But I'm sure the yellow fronts and the silver metallic rears will send tears everytime I think about it
Or buy the f30 335i front 340mm calipers. They are grey, will look stock if someone didn't know and significantly add braking power; or the grey 135i 6piston (actual E9x spec'd/listed "Performance brake upgrade"). No attention added. Or you go hardcore.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      05-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #26
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Or buy the f30 335i front 340mm calipers. They are grey, will look stock if someone didn't know and significantly add braking power; or the grey 135i 6piston (actual E9x spec'd/listed "Performance brake upgrade"). No attention added. Or you go hardcore.
This! I ended up just doing the front swap only on my 328i e92. I’m running the 340mm rotors and the grey brembo 4 pots for the last 18 months. This is an amazing upgrade for the price and is all you need. It looks totally stock also! The calipers even say bmw on them and are more than adequate for a 328.

Last edited by Biginboca; 05-16-2020 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      05-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #27
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

The biggest park of the 4 pot is much better brake pedal feel.
It is not as much but you can also improve the 335i brake pedal feel by using ECS Tuning unequal length brass caliper pin bushing kit.
Just be sure to sand blast the used rotor pin holes or use a rebuild. Dirt and stuff in bushing insert hole will deform the soft brass and make the tight fit pin hole unusable.
A budget trick for existing 335i brake owners.
I've only done the front pair. Not sure if rear pair will add more pedal feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #28
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
This! I ended up just doing the front swap only on my 328i e92. I’m running the 340mm rotors and the grey brembo 4 pots for the last 18 months. This is an amazing upgrade for the price and is all you need. It looks totally stock also! The calipers even say bmw on them and are more than adequate for a 328.
I have the same setup. It's more than adequate for daily driving. I am about to upgrade the rears to 335i, with modified parking brake. I am somewhat confused with everyone talking about improved brake feel. If anything, the setup made mine bit softer, to the extend that I lead my lines 3 times just to make sure everything is proper.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #29
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I have the same setup. It's more than adequate for daily driving. I am about to upgrade the rears to 335i, with modified parking brake. I am somewhat confused with everyone talking about improved brake feel. If anything, the setup made mine bit softer, to the extend that I lead my lines 3 times just to make sure everything is proper.
Me too! I did a lot of bleeding. I was able to code the sport brake option and that helped the mushy pedal, and I think I just got used to it in time. The stopping power is there for sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #30
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you run ABS pump sequence to get all the tiny bubbles out?
Also anyone will get better pedal feel just by new pads anyways.

I had a hard time bleeding when I flipped the rear left to right and upside down on the bleed nipple. Couldn't get air out when bleed nipple faces down and air was trapped above it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #31
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Me too! I did a lot of bleeding. I was able to code the sport brake option and that helped the mushy pedal, and I think I just got used to it in time. The stopping power is there for sure!
Oh yeah. Stopping power is immense. I did 3 hard stops in a row. It made me throw up. With proper tires and surface, with this setup, this car stops on the dime. Totally amazing upgrade.

How did you code sports brakes? I looked for instructions, but I can't find what to change and how.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #32
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Did you run ABS pump sequence to get all the tiny bubbles out?
Also anyone will get better pedal feel just by new pads anyways.

I had a hard time bleeding when I flipped the rear left to right and upside down on the bleed nipple. Couldn't get air out when bleed nipple faces down and air was trapped above it.
No I did not. I used a stick to push on the brake pedal while changing the caliper, so fluid loss was minimal. When I do rear brakes, I will flush the system again. Do you have any instructions on how to do ABS pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #33
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah. Stopping power is immense. I did 3 hard stops in a row. It made me throw up. With proper tires and surface, with this setup, this car stops on the dime. Totally amazing upgrade.

How did you code sports brakes? I looked for instructions, but I can't find what to change and how.
Bimmergeeks Pro Tool is what I used, although there’s a way to code it with the laptop software too obviously.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #34
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
No I did not. I used a stick to push on the brake pedal while changing the caliper, so fluid loss was minimal. When I do rear brakes, I will flush the system again. Do you have any instructions on how to do ABS pump?
https://bmw.***********.com/threads/...ke-bleed.3319/
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #35
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Thank you!
Since post is blocking competing forum, for anyone interested to access mentioned link, search for INPA DSC Brake Bleed.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #36
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used the handheld tool from Amazon. It can firmware upgrade through USB so it can be used for many many BMWs. Useful for more than one car, and handy in tight spots.
AutoPhix 7910.

But our forum sponsor ECS Tuning sell similar stuff. Made by other brand Foxwell. 20% off right now. Comes with extra connector for older BMWs.

Click the first link to get sponsorship points for forum

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...=e90postbanner

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #37
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Quote:
This! I ended up just doing the front swap only on my 328i e92. I'm running the 340mm rotors and the grey brembo 4 pots for the last 18 months. This is an amazing upgrade for the price and is all you need. It looks totally stock also! The calipers even say bmw on them and are more than adequate for a 328.
I am having the same problem after swapping my 328 setup to 335i calipers. I did the same as you with applying brakes to close the master and I did not have any fluid leaking out when disconnecting the lines and bled all the tiny air bubbles out.

The pedal is way too soft. I used Motive Bleeder, but did not do the ABS INPA bleed. Perhaps that's what I'm missing.

The stopping power is there when I went to bed in the new rotors and pads, but pedal is too soft at the top of the travel. Makes heel/toe difficult now. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #38
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I am having the same problem after swapping my 328 setup to 335i calipers. I did the same as you with applying brakes to close the master and I did not have any fluid leaking out when disconnecting the lines and bled all the tiny air bubbles out.

The pedal is way too soft. I used Motive Bleeder, but did not do the ABS INPA bleed. Perhaps that's what I'm missing.

The stopping power is there when I went to bed in the new rotors and pads, but pedal is too soft at the top of the travel. Makes heel/toe difficult now. Frustrating.
You have to do with Inpa bleed 2-3x even. Then re-assess. You'll have a softer pedal no matter what. Pedal will have much more "dead space." Then the actual brake engagement will be much more abrupt. So more dead space and then very "clampy" brake engagement. I guess you can say you'll have less travel to fine tune pedal inputs. It's something you'll get used to with muscle memory after a few drives.

I have M3 calipers on my 135i and while people say they don't feel any difference in sponginess it is most definitely much different now. Some people just flat out aren't as in tune with these things.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #39
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
You have to do with Inpa bleed 2-3x even. Then re-assess. You'll have a softer pedal no matter what. Pedal will have much more "dead space." Then the actual brake engagement will be much more abrupt. So more dead space and then very "clampy" brake engagement. I guess you can say you'll have less travel to fine tune pedal inputs. It's something you'll get used to with muscle memory after a few drives.

I have M3 calipers on my 135i and while people say they don't feel any difference in sponginess it is most definitely much different now. Some people just flat out aren't as in tune with these things.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Too bad I just discovered this after having the car lifted with wheels off already. I suppose I can do this with just lifting the car and accessing the bleeder. Just need to make sure not to get any fluid on the wheel.

I'll get used to shorter usable travel. That's no problem. And with ceramic pads, the problem is even worse with less initial cold bite and then STOP. But again, I don't have an issue with adjusting.

It's interesting that all of these applications result in softer pedal. I wonder if a 328 driver would jump into a 335i or M3 and notice a difference or is all of this a symptom of opening up the brake system and never being able to get back to perfectly bled system?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #40
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Too bad I just discovered this after having the car lifted with wheels off already. I suppose I can do this with just lifting the car and accessing the bleeder. Just need to make sure not to get any fluid on the wheel.

I'll get used to shorter usable travel. That's no problem. And with ceramic pads, the problem is even worse with less initial cold bite and then STOP. But again, I don't have an issue with adjusting.

It's interesting that all of these applications result in softer pedal. I wonder if a 328 driver would jump into a 335i or M3 and notice a difference or is all of this a symptom of opening up the brake system and never being able to get back to perfectly bled system?
It's a function of adding larger calipers without also upgrading the master cylinder bore size. It's a fact that you'll have a softer initial pedal and then a more grabby/high pressure clamping once you get into the pedal more.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #41
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:

It's a function of adding larger calipers without also upgrading the master cylinder bore size. It's a fact that you'll have a softer initial pedal and then a more grabby/high pressure clamping once you get into the pedal more.
Oh OK. I thought master cylinder upgrade was not needed for 335i calipers and only once M3 or Performance calipers are used.

The master cylinder is the same part number between 328i and 335i: 34336785664.

So, I don't understand why that would make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #42
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh OK. I thought master cylinder upgrade was not needed for 335i calipers and only once M3 or Performance calipers are used.

The master cylinder is the same part number between 328i and 335i: 34336785664.

So, I don't understand why that would make a difference.
It doesn't matter that the master cylinder is the same size... what matters is that you have the muscle memory of how the brakes feel with the smaller 328i calipers and now you put on bigger 335i calipers... that changes how the pedal will feel.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #43
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
I think I might try and do this. Found a few sets of 335 calipers with brackets for ~$100

*UPDATE*

I'm buying a set of f30 4pots, do I need 335i brakes or will my stock e93 328 brakcets work?

Last edited by S65Hunter; 10-01-2020 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0