E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328i has no electrical power, will not start



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #45
Bullitt1841
Private First Class
82
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: F36 B58
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DieselPower View Post
I recently had the exact same issue above and have just made a thread on it. Any idea if this has/could be recalled by BMW? Thanks
There was a recall in North America. Don't know if it applies to you guys or not.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...4&refurl=email

http://www.torquenews.com/1081/bmw-r...stalling-issue
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #46
jahawk78
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: Black 2008 e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feshdogg View Post
There was a recall in North America. Don't know if it applies to you guys or not.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...4&refurl=email

http://www.torquenews.com/1081/bmw-r...stalling-issue

Damn thats a lot of vehicals to recall.. How long will this recall stay open? BTW this happened to my 335i this morning (parked)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #47
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
28
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: BMW 335D stock engine
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feshdogg View Post
There was a recall in North America. Don't know if it applies to you guys or not.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...4&refurl=email

http://www.torquenews.com/1081/bmw-r...stalling-issue
thanks for this, i seem to be making some slow progress but BMW UK are reluctant to cooperate! I won't let it go though, my thread will get to the bottom of it
__________________
Matte Blue BMW 335D E90. More mods to come!

Build thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856218

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #48
Ifly737
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Hello all....

For all of you who had an issue with the power supply cable to the fuse box...

Please check out BMW Recall :13v044

If you fixed your BMW before this recall was issued, you are entitled for compensation.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #49
MrSlacker
First Lieutenant
MrSlacker's Avatar
33
Rep
306
Posts

Drives: '17 M2 LBB
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifly737 View Post
Hello all....

For all of you who had an issue with the power supply cable to the fuse box...

Please check out BMW Recall :13v044

If you fixed your BMW before this recall was issued, you are entitled for compensation.
Apologies for bumping an old thread. Having exact same issue on a 2011 328xdrive and my VIN is not part of that recall. Is there any way to force them to do it?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #50
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
1021
Rep
12,740
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (28)

OP is driving a Prius now.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #51
jmaa
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: bmw335
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

jyhash thank you

jyhash you are the man, thank you for sharing your very detailed issue, when I read it I knew it was exactly the same problem I had .

I was able to reach the fuse box . I shake it (the space is so uncomfortable and reduced) , finally I got electrical power again , starting in the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 01:42 AM   #52
matheo
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: White Plains, NY

iTrader: (0)

I just had this problem on my 2006 325i. Electrical system started acting out (random warning lights when turning the car on) and then the car died completely about 2 weeks later, just before I was scheduled to bring it into the shop. It is now fixed and working.

If you had this same problem, were there any more problems after that? Anything you might thing could be related or been affected by the initial problem? My car has low mileage (for its age), but since it's now 10 years old, I am starting to wonder whether it's time to start thinking about a new(er) one...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #53
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: 335i N55
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hertfordshire

iTrader: (0)

335i 2010

Complete power blackout today (twice).
First time, I put my heavy duty battery charger, and it kicked the loose connection back to life. Definitely not flat battery symptoms.

Later that day, same thing but had to call out the AA. Got caught in a multi story car park, so he bought out his mobile bump start thingy. AA guy could see 12 volts at the jump start connector in the engine bay. Absolutley no lights at the dash. I crawled in the boot from the back seats, and messed with the battery cables. No joy.
Eventually came back to life by itself. No idea where the fault might be, but the symptoms were exactly as if removing the battery.

Does the big fat red wire go straight to the fuse box?

The AA man was stumped on this.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #54
ctuna
Lieutenant General
1158
Rep
10,399
Posts

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

iTrader: (0)

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU

There are about 5 power wires leading forward (from the battery)to various points in the cabin and engine bay(see first pdf) . The one that the recall is on powers the cabin electronics and is terminated behind the fuse box in the cabin.
Sometimes you can bring the car back to life by shaking the cable behind the fuse panel in the cabin. There is a large range of cars between 07 and onward that are effected and just because your car is not on the list it doesn't mean that that
cannot be the problem. Also your IBS may be messing with you but genraly you will have cabin power when that happens. These cars are not easy to jump a simple jump may not work if the battery is really low or shorted internally.

The average lifetime of a battery in these is 6 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ables/1924627/

see entry 48 also

Last edited by ctuna; 12-24-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #55
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: 335i N55
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hertfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU

There are about 5 power wires leading forward (from the battery)to various points in the cabin and engine bay(see first pdf) . The one that the recall is on powers the cabin electronics and is terminated behind the fuse box in the cabin.
Sometimes you can bring the car back to life by shaking the cable behind the fuse panel in the cabin. There is a large range of cars between 07 and onward that are effected and just because your car is not on the list it doesn't mean that that
cannot be the problem. Also your IBS may be messing with you but genraly you will have cabin power when that happens. These cars are not easy to jump a simple jump may not work if the battery is really low or shorted internally.

The average lifetime of a battery in these is 6 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ables/1924627/

see entry 48 also
Thanks ctuna. I'll read through that info.
My battery is only about eight months old. Definitely not the battery, as something just clicked and power was back on, and started as normal.

There was zero power anywhere, not just the interior, so does this mean it's unlikely to be the wire going into the back of the fuse box?

This has been the unluckiest car I've ever owned. Replaced the engine 6 months ago. Nightmare.
The fact that this is intermittent, is going to be a job to trace.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #56
ctuna
Lieutenant General
1158
Rep
10,399
Posts

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Well the car will be dead without power to all the electronics
in the cabin. If this cable connection goes out when your driving
your dead in the water. You should still be able to measure 12 volts at the
engine jump points unless the power cable charge blew though.
There is a charge the blows and cuts power to the engine if your
in an accident. Also never jump the car from the battery.

Read the first pdf.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #57
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: 335i N55
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hertfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Thanks again 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:36 AM   #58
p1p2p3p4
Private
4
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: f31, f82,
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhash View Post
Glansberry,

I found out what it was, at least on my vehicle: There is a design flaw in the fusebox located in the glovebox. Essentially what BMW did is make the fusebox connection to the battery cable a simple plastic clip, instead of a bolted down connection. When the car is driven, the battery cable gets jostled and electricity arcs between the connection, and does one of two things: fries the connection, or disconnects from the box. This can be temporarily fixed by opening the glove box, removing the fuse box cover, reaching around the back of the fusebox on the right hand side and jostling the cable until it regains the connection. This will at least make the car temporarily drivable, but it may lose its connection again.

When I got the car repaired, it was out of warranty, so it cost me a pretty penny. So be thankful yours is under warranty: it cost me $1200 to fix. It needed a new fusebox because my connection had melted, and labor to figure out the problem was the big cost because no one knows what the issue was.

But you'r right, it is a major safety concern, and I wish that I got reimbursed by BMW for what was an obvious design flaw. I'd make sure that you talk good and long with the service advisor at the BMW Service Center to make sure it won't continue to be an issue after your warranty expires. But this was a definitely one of the main factors in me getting rid of my '07 328i and trading up to an '09 335i.

Hope this helps.

~JYH

Dude props. I left my car at the gym the other night came back wiggled the cable started right away.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #59
packman57
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2003 325 I
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhash View Post
Glansberry,

I found out what it was, at least on my vehicle: There is a design flaw in the fusebox located in the glovebox. Essentially what BMW did is make the fusebox connection to the battery cable a simple plastic clip, instead of a bolted down connection. When the car is driven, the battery cable gets jostled and electricity arcs between the connection, and does one of two things: fries the connection, or disconnects from the box. This can be temporarily fixed by opening the glove box, removing the fuse box cover, reaching around the back of the fusebox on the right hand side and jostling the cable until it regains the connection. This will at least make the car temporarily drivable, but it may lose its connection again.

When I got the car repaired, it was out of warranty, so it cost me a pretty penny. So be thankful yours is under warranty: it cost me $1200 to fix. It needed a new fusebox because my connection had melted, and labor to figure out the problem was the big cost because no one knows what the issue was.

But you'r right, it is a major safety concern, and I wish that I got reimbursed by BMW for what was an obvious design flaw. I'd make sure that you talk good and long with the service advisor at the BMW Service Center to make sure it won't continue to be an issue after your warranty expires. But this was a definitely one of the main factors in me getting rid of my '07 328i and trading up to an '09 335i.

Hope this helps.

~JYH
thank God for old posts. i jiggled the cable and voila it worked. Good call.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #60
Anangrrymuffin
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman57 View Post
thank God for old posts. i jiggled the cable and voila it worked. Good call.
thanks.
Just had this very issue. Saved my ass, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:13 AM   #61
ivibmw
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlphe View Post
I parked my car for 5 minutes, put the keyfob in and power went out with keyfob stuck in the dash. Power was completely out. I entered the trunk with the key and gave a gentle push on the Battery Safety Terminal (or Power Distribution Box on the positive battery terminal), heard a few sparks and power came back on.
After 2 miles, the ABS and DSC lights came on on the dash indicating a power problem. The car kept running on alternator power, but as soon as I shut down the engine it went dead again. Same resolution worked again. I disconnected the battery for safety and have yet to investigate the problem with the unreliable BST connection. My BST is the 2006 type and is black.
This is the sudden power loss as described above. My can is a 2006 and not covered under the recall. Any other 2006 owners with the same problem?
Did you get this figured out?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
328i, battery, electrical, problem, starting problems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST