E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Motech remap?

07-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Motech remap?

Does anyone have any experience of them?
They are very local to me, so wondered if they were work a look.
I remember buying bits for my XR3i from them in the early 90s, but don't know anything about their remaps!
I've spoken to them via facebook and he said based on the cars mileage (101k) it would be best to map it to around +45bhp and 85nm so it doesn't kill the clutch (manual box)
He wants £280 for that, any other decent options worth looking at?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
I've used them before. No problems with them map itself. I'm going there in the morning.

Mike @ motech is a very friendly chap give him a call and he might be able to sort something out.

InstaGram: Ajerthan
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

I am in a very similar position, 80k on a manual car. It's the clutch that worries me with a remap.
Other options are Evolve in Luton, superchips in Buckingham and Emaps who will come to you.
A group buy would be good.....

Edit
Just looked at motechs site, they are miles away from me, not good for group buy!

Last edited by E92Dan; 07-14-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Motech are in Earls Barton, very close to you!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
any other decent options worth looking at?
Arguably the best choice:

http://www.e-maps.co.uk/

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

I'm seriously considering a remap for my 335D and Emaps are up there. Just cant decide between emaps and bwchiptune. Is the actual map and process the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

To be fair moat maps now are the same. No one makes a bespoke map. Most have a map supplier. They read thr car send the information. The file is then modified by a 3rd party and sent back. Then its uploaded back onto the car.

Pursonally I would only ho the places like P-Torque. Evolve, Regal, and possibly amd although they are guilty of the above statement.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

What makes it the best choice?
I'm a very sceptical person and like to look into all options before making a decision. If you say it's the best choice, please back up that claim

As above, they're all pretty much the same thing, a generic map with maybe a slight tweak here and there.
Having owned turbo cars for the last 10 years they've all been either mapped live on the road or rollers. I've never been a big fan of generic maps but as my car is standard and I don't plan any further performance related mods it seems the best option price wise
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
HeavyRightFoot
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

I got the Evolve remap 18 months ago and got the Evolve R cable with it which allows me to switch back and forth to standard map if required, and can also check if there are any errors.

Handy as I have extended warranty, if the car goes back to the dealer, I put the standard map on, delete any errors and when it's sorted, I upload the remap back on.

Also the lads at Evolve are very helpful and know there stuff so never had any bother, and the difference the map makes is amazing. I got an extra 60bhp with 90 lb/ft extra torque.

Highly recommend them!
      07-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I haven't used e-maps though on another bmw forum :cough: he is thought of very highly. My understanding is that he had issues on this forum with another tuner being a bit out of order so doesn't post here anymore.

FWIW I have spoken to him and he seemed very knowledgeable and obviously does a lot of BMW's. He offers a mobile service as I recall.

I think any of the well known tuners would be OK ... more maybe down to where they are in relation to you, especially if you want the car rolling roaded ...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

Dest. Even when "live" mapped on the road or rollers allot of the time the person with the laptop hasnt moved a muscle they download send receive then uplaod again. They all tweak generic maps. Inknow from experience working with the genius slave unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, of course they work from a base map, anyone who thinks they start from a blank file would be a bit daft!
The point I'm making is that its a map specifically for your car, not just a generic one.
Obviously not as important on a standard car, but still, we all know all cars are not the same!

A garage I used to use a lot with my Cosworth and Cavalier Turbo do maps, I will pop over and see which he uses. I would also be able to get a before and after on the rollers too.

Last edited by dest; 07-15-2013 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

Do the maps put more stress on the turbo?

I am about the same mileage as the OP, but have had my clutch/DMFW replaced, but would be worried if I remapped that it would put the turbo decline on fast forward?

Thoughts (sorry if this is a jack)
      07-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
The map does put more strain on the turbo. It will turn up the boost. If there is more power, there is going to be more strain on all parts of the engine and transmition.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I'm seriously considering a remap for my 335D and Emaps are up there. Just cant decide between emaps and bwchiptune. Is the actual map and process the same?
No, it's not the same.

Simon at emaps is good - but it's not the same process.

Simon:

A strong remap file which has verified great results will be applied to your car in a professional way at a good price

BW:

A tailored remap file will be written for your car based on rolling road resulsts, then re-tested with the map on, and tweeked as required to get whatever type of map you want (Eco, full performance, whatever) - for not much more money than Simon.

I would recommend both, but if directly comparing, obviously recommend you get the best possible map: Which means, get a RR done before/after. Simple as that.
      07-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a very sceptical person and like to look into all options before making a decision. If you say it's the best choice, please back up that claim
Simon's reputation is without equal, and I'd challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

Pop over to BMWland (biggest BMW forum in existence) and see if any other company can match what Simon does in any respect.

My last map from Simon:

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #17
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
No, it's not the same.

Simon at emaps is good - but it's not the same process.

Simon:

A strong remap file which has verified great results will be applied to your car in a professional way at a good price

BW:

A tailored remap file will be written for your car based on rolling road resulsts, then re-tested with the map on, and tweeked as required to get whatever type of map you want (Eco, full performance, whatever) - for not much more money than Simon.

I would recommend both, but if directly comparing, obviously recommend you get the best possible map: Which means, get a RR done before/after. Simple as that.
Thanks Mega. I'm going to read that old BW thread of yours and try and see if you uploaded a RR!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

As above, they're all pretty much the same thing, a generic map with maybe a slight tweak here and there.
Having owned turbo cars for the last 10 years they've all been either mapped live on the road or rollers. I've never been a big fan of generic maps but as my car is standard and I don't plan any further performance related mods it seems the best option price wise
He is very popular on several forums and also the feedback he gets are from "established" members. ( By this I mean, members who have been around for a while and know about their cars, members who contribute and who have read about most horror story out there etc).

I don't know any specific details about his map, but what I can say is that, Ian's car is very fast.

I'm very fussy with my car aswell and will not let any garage/ bmw dealership touch it.
Appreciate 0