E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > HELP!!!!! New BMW owner, Mechanic questions..

10-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
BimmerGee856
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

HELP!!!!! New BMW owner, Mechanic questions..

To make a long story short, I’m new to the BMW community. I currently own a 2008 328xi N51 however I recently got into a minor front end collision. Now I have 3 problems, one of them being the bumper of course however the other two problems I have is a check engine light and my hood won’t open as if it won’t release from the hatch. Does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #2
GenerationX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi N51 SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGee856 View Post
To make a long story short, I’m new to the BMW community. I currently own a 2008 328xi N51 however I recently got into a minor front end collision. Now I have 3 problems, one of them being the bumper of course however the other two problems I have is a check engine light and my hood won’t open as if it won’t release from the hatch. Does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?
Since you got into a front-end collision, the locking mechanism most likely shifted. At your own risk, you'll need get some type of strong rope or tow strap, wrap it somehow on the locking mechanism or something strong in that area, tie the rope to another car's rear tow hook, drive the other car in the opposite direction very very slowly so it can pull out the locking mechanism very slowly. a quarter inch at a time until you can pull up and down on the hood (not open the hood). When the hood can move up and down freely, then you can push the tab to allow the hood to open. You might have to remove the kidneys to get access to the locking mechanism or something strong enough in that area to handle the rope and the tugging. What you'd be doing is very slowly pulling on the front end to relieve the pressure on the locking mechanism.

Disclaimer: Perform at your own risk!. I assume no responsibility or liability for any errors and/or damages produced from your actions from the content of this post. My information provided in this post is provided as an "educational" and "as is" basis with no guarantees of accuracy, resolution and/or timeliness.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0